Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

Opinions? Please. (Cave Map)

I'm attempting to create a map out of Hell. ...or maybe just one chamber higher.

Here's the thing. It's a cave and I've used only one texture for 99% of the map. I thought about bumping a thread on fringing from Nov 2014 because it kind of related to how to make things appear less flat.

To combat flatness and uniformity of the map I've used a lot of detailing for the caves and I'm not sure how a player is going to feel about it. Some of the map does get bigger and there is somewhat of a boss battle. The level is very dark and I'm having a hard time determining what I should do to brighten it up. The cave should be dark. There's a flashlight so it shouldn't be a problem... until you get to the, "boss" which you can not see except for his attacks. I've thought about opening up the inner parts of the cave ... something like a large, inescapable valley but I'm not sure if people would like it.

I haven't really had a lot of input on the project as a whole, but I feel like this map could make or break it.

Can you please look at it and tell me what you think? There are probably 10 or so monsters in the map so far. ...still working on the detailing. I'm curious about how the fighting feels in the section that the "short red firesticks" are placed.

Unless someone is very aware of their surroundings it seems like a fireball is your fate. Is that too much? Is the map scary?

https://www.mediafire.com/?cgpvm79s7xmxoo1
GZDoom in UDMF format. Map01. Use lights.pk3. (1.00 Gamma) No weapons placed - use IDFA/IDKFA. (flashlight is slot 3) No custom music... I'd recommend finding something scary on youtube to listen to while you play.

https://www.mediafire.com/?cgpvm79s7xmxoo1

Some areas, like at the start, are too flat and uninspired. Some areas where you have done some detailing

look pretty good.

However, apply some lighting variations to emphasize the different heights and cave locations. A fire stick clipped by the ceiling is a definite nono. There are also a couple of spots with missing textures.

My personal preference of creating caves is by letting Oblige create the cave areas for a full game.
Then I copy/paste the best parts into one map and start detailing to my hearts content.

I was more interested about the enemy interactions in the portions that are detailed. I'm confident in my ability to detail but good detailing does not necessarily translate to good gameplay. The map just needs more time.

I think they feel alright, but I wanted to know what other people thought. I can space it out more if necessary. Some areas will stay claustrophobic. The tightness in some areas feels like true sperlunking.

I want people to enjoy it, so if it does inhibit movement or feel dictorial I would like to improve it.

Also, I feel like I should mention that the screen cap is much brighter than I intend for the player. Is that at 1.0 gamma?

I just got an account so I cant post a thread but does anyone know a game I can try my doom levels on that is free. I don't have doom and I don't have enough money to buy it.

indie_bros said:

I just got an account so I cant post a thread but does anyone know a game I can try my doom levels on that is free. I don't have doom and I don't have enough money to buy it.

Wrong place? But check out Freedoom.

If you wouldn't have said that this was a cave then I would have thought it was a mine or a quarry. I think caves need a more organic feeling to them

I liked how I needed to squeeze through the rocks but otherwise the gameplay was pretty basic. You see an imp. You shoot the imp. The end.

illuknisaa said:

I liked how I needed to squeeze through the rocks but otherwise the gameplay was pretty basic. You see an imp. You shoot the imp. The end.

That's good to hear. I was worried that the detailing in the more finished parts might hang up fireballs or block demons or do some thing that I wouldn't anticipate. I'm glad that it was basic as I explained it's very rough.

That's enough for me to keep going on it.