Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

A bad impression from poor performance?

So my computer is maybe four years old or so and while it can run DOOM, the experience is not great (I had to turn the resolution down significantly and it's still probably nowhere near 60 fps). I'm up to the first hell level and I am finding that I am not really enjoying myself at all, maybe because the performance seems to be even worse on that map. I am wondering if I should just put the game aside for now and come back to it in a few months after the new Nvidia cards are released and I actually build a new computer.

Anyone else playing the game with an underpowered rig? What are your impressions?

Linguica said:

So my computer is maybe four years old or so and while it can run DOOM, the experience is not great (I had to turn the resolution down significantly and it's still probably nowhere near 60 fps). I'm up to the first hell level and I am finding that I am not really enjoying myself at all, maybe because the performance seems to be even worse on that map. I am wondering if I should just put the game aside for now and come back to it in a few months after the new Nvidia cards are released and I actually build a new computer.

Anyone else playing the game with an underpowered rig? What are your impressions?

Linguica, what specs are you playing the game on? I know you mentioned a GTX 660 (?) in another thread. What CPU and memory are you using?

I'm not sure a 660 is actually enough to run the game anyway. The game pretty much requires 2GB VRAM otherwise it all falls apart aggressively swaping back/fourth from RAM. When they said 670 minimum (which it runs absolutely fine on, by the way), that was pretty much why.

I'd upgrade your pc, early impressions can make a big impact on your future thoughts on the game. So why not make that experience great?

Plasma Gun said:

Linguica, what specs are you playing the game on? I know you mentioned a GTX 660 (?) in another thread. What CPU and memory are you using?

Yeah, I have a GTX 660 (which has 2 GB of VRAM, Ed). Otherwise I'm running a Core i5-2400 with 8 GB of generic DDR3 RAM.

Linguica said:

Yeah, I have a GTX 660 (which has 2 GB of VRAM, Ed). Otherwise I'm running a Core i5-2400 with 8 GB of generic DDR3 RAM.

Don't even bother buying a new system, IMO. Just stick a 1070 in there and call it day.

Linguica said:

(Huh, so it is. I somehow remember the 660 only having 1GB, like the 650.)
Something is very strange with this, then. I'm running a evga-GTX670 with a i3-6100, 8GB DDR3 which by all means should be at least comparable. There's a bit of infighting with the system page file because the campaign wants 5GB RAM, but it only affects multi-tasking at worst. Running at "medium" settings at full 1920x1080.

Actually this has me wondering; What is your BUS support on your motherboard? Is the card actually running at PCIe 3.0? You can check this with GPUz with Doom running in the background (the BUS scales so the card will run at 1.1 on idle). You can also use GPUz to see if your GPU is capping itself due to heat.

I tried running game this on my wifes desktop... has 16gb generic ddr3, i7 2600k oc'd to like 4.5ghz, evga 750ti Nvidia card.... and it was a miserable experience because of performance. It looked like ass, and still ran like ass... absolutely agree this is the cause of your lack of enjoyment because it left it nearly unplayable.

Completely night/day difference from my 4k sli'd titan x gaming rig.

A new gpu and another 8gb of ram... and you should be good.

Linguica said:

Sounds like you just need a better graphics card. I recommend the 960-970.

Buckshot said:

I tried running game this on my wifes desktop... has 16gb generic ddr3, i7 2600k oc'd to like 4.5ghz, evga 750ti Nvidia card.... and it was a miserable experience because of performance. It looked like ass, and still ran like ass... absolutely agree this is the cause of your lack of enjoyment because it left it nearly unplayable.

Could you define "miserable"...my specs are worse than that and I find it quite playable with everything turned down and it still looks good.

Yup. I bought the game last night, played for an hour and requested a refund.

No matter what I do I'm getting between 25-35 FPS. I have a beast of a laptop, GTX 960M 4gb GPU, 16gb RAM, 2.9ghz i7 chip, all drivers up-to-date, running on Windows 10... yet it runs like a dog.

Kinda glad I did anyway, watched a fight of the Cyberdemon on youtube and it was pathetic. Thing has a health bar and looks like a WoW character, not a murderous super-intimidating deathmachine.

In the time I played it, felt like a mix of Diablo and Quake III. Which isn't a bad thing... but, meh. Back to Doom II for me.

MistAche said:

No matter what I do I'm getting between 25-35 FPS. I have a beast of a laptop...

Probably not the best term to describe your laptop anymore champ. Nice save though, saying the game sucks anyway.

MistAche said:

No matter what I do I'm getting between 25-35 FPS. I have a beast of a laptop...

If the game demonstrably runs on less (not being able to determine the comparative performance of the mobile 960, mind you), it's not exactly the game's fault.

U.O.D. said:

Sounds like you just need a better graphics card. I recommend the 960-970.

With the new 1080/1070 announced, I would keep an eye out for some killer deals on the 970/980 as retailers try to clear stock.

I use an i5 core netbook with 4GB ram and geforce 920m in-built gpu with 2 GB on that and I can't belive it works. I've got all the fancy stuff turned down or off and despite it taking an extraordinary amount of time to load in between levels, and it feels reasonably quick for a new game though not as fast as some of the gameplay videos I've seen. The only thing that appeals to me that I'm missing out on is the beautiful fancy lights. I turned them up from low to high and finally got a bit of visual stuttering, dropped them back to medium and it's all good again. With all of the hardware and configuration fuckery, I feel like I'm running original Doom back in the 90s again. Oh, and the game is simply incredible.

MistAche said:

Kinda glad I did anyway, watched a fight of the Cyberdemon on youtube and it was pathetic. Thing has a health bar and looks like a WoW character, not a murderous super-intimidating deathmachine.

For what it's worth, the health bar can be turned off just like nearly everything else...

Use3D said:

Probably not the best term to describe your laptop anymore champ. Nice save though, saying the game sucks anyway.

Perhaps you're right, though I only bought this new about 5 months ago.

First, I'm going to ask the obvious. Did you install the new drivers?

Secondly, do you have a friend with an Xbox or PS4? Maybe they'll let you borrow it to play the game.

Fianlly, that processor is kinda weak too.

im in ur boat, and waiting for my next paycheck to build a new rig. my machine handled the last gen no problem, but wolf tno chugged and so i know doom will not run right either... waiting, waiting...

seems like 4gb vram is a minimum.

A better GPU should do the trick, just make sure your PSU can handle it.

DoomUK said:

A better GPU should do the trick, just make sure your PSU can handle it.

Yeah, otherwise the PSU will have a heart attack.

glenzinho said:

I use an i5 core netbook with 4GB ram and geforce 920m in-built gpu with 2 GB on that and I can't belive it works. I've got all the fancy stuff turned down or off and despite it taking an extraordinary amount of time to load in between levels, and it feels reasonably quick for a new game though not as fast as some of the gameplay videos I've seen. The only thing that appeals to me that I'm missing out on is the beautiful fancy lights. I turned them up from low to high and finally got a bit of visual stuttering, dropped them back to medium and it's all good again. With all of the hardware and configuration fuckery, I feel like I'm running original Doom back in the 90s again. Oh, and the game is simply incredible.

hardware and configuration fuckery is part of the experience!

this is how it is supposed to be when id releases a new game, amirite?

Linguica said:

I also have an i5-2400. And my gfx card also was too shabby to run Doom (Radeon HD 6870). I talked to people and they said the processor should be fine, just get a new gfx card. My new 970 arrives tomorrow, I will let you know how Doom works with it and the i5-2400 if you are interested.

(It also turned out that my PSU has too much power, even with the new card. It is a 650W unit -- I'm actually considering to downgrade it to a quiet 450W unit.)

I have a GTX 970 and the game is surely at least 60fps (without vsync it hops around 70-90, not much better but enough for a smooth gameplay). Then an I7 and 8GB of Ram so you would be fine if you upgraded the card.

But yes, I am not sure what to do of the performance. Surely I quite like the graphics yet in a video they used a GTX1080 at 1080p and it was getting 120-150fps. I am wondering if that even works well in 4k.

Maybe now that the new nvidia generation is out, you will find a 970 dropping prices.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

Runs flawlessly with my i7 4790k and an EVGA GTX 970 SC. Im currently running 8gb of ram and I'm pushing near the limit. Looks like I will be upping to 16gb soon. If anyone is running 4gb it will likely kill the experience.

Running it on an Athlon 2 X3 450, a Radeon 7850 HD 2GB and 8 GB of DDR2 Kingston RAM at mostly medium at 1280x720 and performance is great. Only real time I noticed a bit of a slowdown was at the top of a certain tech tower when a certain person was trying to do a certain thing.

Ling, what resolution and other settings are you running it at? I found out reducing the resolution, lighting, shadows and AA made a big difference for me.

Im running a i5-3570k, 8gb ram and a gtx 560ti 2gb, not up to date on the gfx drivers. Overclocked my card from 844 to 920 clock speed, don't know if I needed to or not.

I wanted to average 60fps on an old shitty card!

I found 1366x720 to be the perfect resolution, getting between 50-70 fps, 60 most of the time. Shadows on low as a default with any game but AA on max, a few effects on medium etc but everything else on high.

I did however spend the first hour of my game in the first couple of rooms sorting settings out etc, which I must admit I find fun!! Gtx cards seem to love AA more than if its turned off for some reason.

I found foundry the biggest fps hogs, however only in certain places, normally looking upwards. Hell maps were normally ok.

Oh, one last thing which im sure you do know, turn v sync off, I didn't really get any screen tearing, maybe a couple of times that I noticed but on the whole with it on it just flicked my fps between 30 and 60 constantly. Other games its normally fine however with doom it didn't seem to work for me.

Anyway turns out my Card wasn't so shit and I wont be upgrading any time soon!

Running an i5-6200 with Geforce 940M graphics.

I fully expected to play on minimal settings, just barely pulling 30fps (up to 60 in empty rooms). Time actually slows down when there are many enemies on screen. I figure a tweak guide will come out soon enough so that won't happen.

Hold off on buying a card until the Vulkan renderer gets released at least, and see what kind of perf gain you get from there. You'll also be able to pickup some 900 series cards on the cheap as the 1000 series comes out.