Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

what is the disc for (Doom)??

Just got the game, wondering what the disc is really for?? cause in steam, it was downloading the game anyway and i checked the content, not much in there.... jsut wondering.

The disc is for collection purposes, y'know, some people just like collecting discs..

Doom came out in 1993 and the whole game fit on 4 floppies (and that's very typical if you compare to other DOS games of that era). Even if you get the expanded Ultimate Doom + Doom II + Final Doom + Master Levels all on one CDROM, and if they were all uncompressed, it would't even use half the storage space (assuming a typical 650 MB CD).
Maybe if you added the 5-episode Heretic + Hexen & Deathkings + Hacx + Strife + Chex Quest 1 & 2, and they were all uncompresed, then it might start to fill up more. Strife has a lot of audio data anyway.
But I'm willing to bet all that stuff uncompressed would still fit on one CD.
Throw in Hell2Pay, Perdition's Gate, Lost Levels, and Laura Beyer's Doom while you're at it. They're bound to fit as well.
(did I forget anything? no matter, it will still fit...)

keithktam said:

Just got the game, wondering what the disc is really for?? cause in steam, it was downloading the game anyway and i checked the content, not much in there.... jsut wondering.

I believe the first 4.xx GB chunk of the game is stored on the disc although I am very possibly incorrect. But yes, the vast majority of the game is downloaded - It IS a 50+ GB game, that amount of data would require at least 11+ DVD's, or 2+ Blue Ray discs worth of storage.

I think the main purpose of the disc is ultimately:
"Do you have steam?" Y/N

IF YES
> Install Game, initiate download

IF NO
"Why the fuck not?"
> Install Steam, Install Game, Initiate Download

hex11 said:

Doom came out in 1993 and the whole game fit on 4 floppies (and that's very typical if you compare to other DOS games of that era). Even if you get the expanded Ultimate Doom + Doom II + Final Doom + Master Levels all on one CDROM, and if they were all uncompressed, it would't even use half the storage space (assuming a typical 650 MB CD).
Maybe if you added the 5-episode Heretic + Hexen & Deathkings + Hacx + Strife + Chex Quest 1 & 2, and they were all uncompresed, then it might start to fill up more. Strife has a lot of audio data anyway.
But I'm willing to bet all that stuff uncompressed would still fit on one CD.
Throw in Hell2Pay, Perdition's Gate, Lost Levels, and Laura Beyer's Doom while you're at it. They're bound to fit as well.
(did I forget anything? no matter, it will still fit...)

you do realize these are the Doom 4 forums do you

Dragonfly said:

I believe the first 4.xx GB chunk of the game is stored on the disc although I am very possibly incorrect. But yes, the vast majority of the game is downloaded - It IS a 50+ GB game, that amount of data would require at least 11+ DVD's, or 2+ Blue Ray discs worth of storage.

7.0GiB, (coming out to be the first 10GiB of the depot uncompressed, I believe?) but yes. The actual number of DVDs needed would be about 6 or 7 depending on the resulting compression. It might not quite fit on a single DL Blu-ray disc either, however the distribution costs for Blu-ray on PC greatly outweigh the number of people who actually have Blu-ray drives.

Dragonfly said:

I think the main purpose of the disc is ultimately:
"Do you have steam?" Y/N

I dont even think the disc is necessary, I went ahead and registered my physical copy despite not having a PC at the moment (I wanted a second CE and we have both a standard and CE for PS4 already) and if I understand Steam like I do I assume when I finally get my PC I an just install the game without the discs. Every other physical game has been that way at least. Still, I think they'd want to put as much base data as possible on there to make it less of a download hassle for the user but what do I know? Heh.