Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Why does almost every one here hate consoles?

There will always be comments ike "consolized piece of shit" on the new doom. This is a genuine question that isnt meant to be a rant or something like that. It just boggles my mind that most people here in doomworld talk like consoles are the worst thing to happen to fps. IMHO its just a matter of playstyle or qhatever youre comfortable with. Hell, the original was played on arrow keys which technically makes the keyboard a type of controller with too many buttons and functions. So why?

I don't like to shit on consoles, but they're the reason why you see shitty PC ports and games that can't be at their full potential. They're the reason why I'm never getting Mortal Kombat X, Batman Arkham City, and a few other AAA games that have shitty PC ports. I don't like playing games in 900p/30 fps either.

They are also the reason this whole industry is as big as it is, and that AAA-titles can be produced with the budget and quality we see nowadays.
(I do not defend shitty PC ports, btw., they should never exists in the first place)

It boils down to Elitism and fanboyism. It's not really anything new. Some people are just really annoyed that people don't play the way they do, which is something I really don't get.

Jet1337 said:

I don't like to shit on consoles, but they're the reason why you see shitty PC ports and games that can't be at their full potential. They're the reason why I'm never getting Mortal Kombat X, Batman Arkham City, and a few other AAA games that have shitty PC ports. I don't like playing games in 900p/30 fps either.

Consoles are not to blame for Shitty PC ports. Shitty development of such ports is to blame. It's like blaming Vinyl for shitty remasters of songs.

The limitations of consoles have bled into game design. Because you cannot move fast and aim with a gamepad, shooter gameplay switched from run AND gun to run OR gun. Lack of hotkeys gave us limited weapon choices and weapon wheels. Lack of performance gave us smaller levels and corridor design.

Some of these issues are gone now that consoles got more powerful, but the damage has been done over the last 15 years; now those limitations are praised as "features" by people with no taste, and fools will defend bad game design with ludicrous accusations of elitism against players who like better gameplay.

This forum is a bunch of old nerds endlessly discussing an old PC game, of course consoles are going to get ragged on.

For me at least... Once I got a proper gaming PC I never went back to consoles. There's just so many different and varied games for the PC, some of which can't be ported to consoles. So I don't hate consoles.. I just prefer gaming on the PC now.

Oh.. And you can get better deals for PC games thanks the steam.

Messing around with SnapMap for a few hours it's easy to see that console limitations are going to totally screw fairly complex and good maps. I only have four enemies with logic for them to spawn after a weapon pick up and a whole layout done, only one room with the prefrab decals and props and the memory is already at 25 percent. That's just one room with four monsters, that one room shot the memory up that much and it's quite insulting.

Consoles are cool for couch playing, though pcs can do that now since allot of games support controllers, but limitations that SnapMap illuminates is why I hate console design/limitations bleeding into PC games.

But I've mostly become bitter because I've met allot of Console Tards that will actually argue (from left field during a game discussion) about how pro console gamers can beat pro PC gamers. Which is flat out stupid logic, proven incorrect time and time again. They'll even bring that stupid "pro" controller and argue it can compete with a M/KB.
During Dreamcast days when Quake 3 was cross-platform Multiplayer with PC, you could tell right off the bat who was using a M/KB because your ass would get raped, over and over and over. It's the main reason, besides Microsoft testing and Epic's testing, games are no longer cross-platform multiplayer, shooters anyway.

Consoles are nice and convenient, but when it comes to Skill based gameplay they're not the platform to create on, the controller will never compete with a M/KB.

Phml said:

The limitations of consoles have bled into game design. Because you cannot move fast and aim with a gamepad, shooter gameplay switched from run AND gun to run OR gun. Lack of hotkeys gave us limited weapon choices and weapon wheels. Lack of performance gave us smaller levels and corridor design.

Some of these issues are gone now that consoles got more powerful, but the damage has been done over the last 15 years; now those limitations are praised as "features" by people with no taste, and fools will defend bad game design with ludicrous accusations of elitism against players who like better gameplay.

Imagine if developers just stuck with the advancement of GPUs. Every game would be like DOOM 3 was on release, where only so few could truly play it and every console version would be like DOOM 3 on Xbox, where nobody would want to play it because it looked worse, ran worse and was missing content. Plus developers would have to make a ton of extra assets just to allow weaker hardware to play it to maintain decent visuals. Consoles allow for a controlled but "advanced" environment, so they became the standard.

A game's actual design, the gameplay etc... is completely up to the developers. Look how long it takes for Rockstar to pump out their games, which disregard the limits you speak of. GTAIV ran like shit on PS3, GTAV ran perfect and looked great. If developers took the time and money required to pump out the games they truly desired to make then no publisher would fund them at the risk of it not selling while taking forever to be released. Hell GTAIV would not have been funded if the goal was for it to look and run like GTAV.

Because it brings some gamedesign limitations, Doom must be much faster as PC exclusive. Whatever, all in hands of Bethesda, modified servers with different mechanics like PQL in Quake Live can make Doom better. Strafejumps can make everything better.

Phml said:

Some of these issues are gone now that consoles got more powerful

There's some truth to what you're saying, but with Doom '16 these issues have been completely evaporated. It has humongous maps in which you can run and gun to your heart's content, with 12 weapons at your disposal. Provided you play on a harder difficulty and turn off the compass and objective markers in the options, I'm confident that even the biggest cynic would have a good time.

Of course it's the exception and not the rule, and I'm not holding my breath for a New Wave of Truly Awesome FPSs, but id have certainly set a new standard.

jazzmaster9 said:

It boils down to Elitism and fanboyism. It's not really anything new. Some people are just really annoyed that people don't play the way they do, which is something I really don't get.

Consoles are not to blame for Shitty PC ports. Shitty development of such ports is to blame. It's like blaming Vinyl for shitty remasters of songs.

And why do you think there's shitty development in the first place? Devs focus more on the console versions and then outsource the pc version to another dev. That's like Lamborghini letting Ford make their cars.

Phml said:

The limitations of consoles have bled into game design. Because you cannot move fast and aim with a gamepad, shooter gameplay switched from run AND gun to run OR gun.

Speak for yourself there buddy. Never had much problem doing any of that on a console.

I've played shooters fairly extensively on both consoles and PCs and I'd take a controller over a mouse any day. It's much more comfortable.

FPS games went to shit once the PS3 and 360 came out and developers started making them with consoles in mind. Then id went full retard after Doom 3 with all that crap about switching to consoles due to piracy, despite Doom 3 selling really well. And all that crap about "you can't make AAA games for PC" is bullshit because Valve (and Blizzard) have proven that you can make highly profitable games for PC. The AAA budgets are grossly inflated and don't correspond to the visual fidelity in modern games, which are still full of trash looking textures that look worse than in some '04 titles. But hey, at least they're full of post-processing effects, mocap and scripted sequences.

anomalousauthor said:

Speak for yourself there buddy. Never had much problem doing any of that on a console.

I've played shooters fairly extensively on both consoles and PCs and I'd take a controller over a mouse any day. It's much more comfortable.

Oh fucking please. Console aiming is garbage and still uses autoaim. Try playing CS:GO on a console and compare it to playing on a PC, it's a damn joke. And I guarantee that if any FPS allowed cross platform play with the PC the controller kiddies would get shit on immensely. Not to mention actually fast paced games like Quake 3 are unplayable with a controller against anything but easy bots.

rileymartin said:

FPS games went to shit once the PS3 and 360 came out and developers started making them with consoles in mind. Then id went full retard after Doom 3 with all that crap about switching to consoles due to piracy, despite Doom 3 selling really well. And all that crap about "you can't make AAA games for PC" is bullshit because Valve (and Blizzard) have proven that you can make highly profitable games for PC. The AAA budgets are grossly inflated and don't correspond to the visual fidelity in modern games, which are still full of trash looking textures that look worse than in some '04 titles. But hey, at least they're full of post-processing effects, mocap and scripted sequences.

Oh fucking please. Console aiming is garbage and still uses autoaim. Try playing CS:GO on a console and compare it to playing on a PC, it's a damn joke. And I guarantee that if any FPS allowed cross platform play with the PC the controller kiddies would get shit on immensely. Not to mention actually fast paced games like Quake 3 are unplayable with a controller against anything but easy bots.

Settle down. I simply stated it was more comfortable and that one can run and gun on a console easily enough. My pvp days are behind me anyway, I don't care about a perceived advantage in those scenarios as I don't play them.

Jet1337 said:

And why do you think there's shitty development in the first place? Devs focus more on the console versions and then outsource the pc version to another dev. That's like Lamborghini letting Ford make their cars.

Lamborghini can also choose to supervise their cars or better yet, make it themselves. You can't use the existence of Consoles as an excuse for bad game development.
Consoles are not at fault here, its the developers who do not maximize the hardware or just copy paste their stuff to a different framework without optimization.

but of course PC "gamers" will blame consoles for everything, it's kinda the culture we have in the gaming community, someone needs a scapegoat.

Im a hardcore PC gamer, the only console I own is a PSX, so to say im a biased console gamer is not gonna work.

Platform wars are literally the biggest baby bullshit there ever was. Anyone who engages in it should be forced to retake middle school.

Audi, actually, not Ford :P

As a multiplatformer myself, I enjoy the console exclusives (XB1 not so much these days ;)) but my main draw will always be PC. Now, I get the argument that AAA console development is holding PC gaming back, but let's consider this for a moment. I didn't need to upgrade my PC for more than five years, thanks to the policy of parity adopted by some devs. My 6yo rig is still capable of running GTAV at a smooth playable level. There was a time when the latest graphics cards were more struggling with new titles with a year. Now, this doesn't excuse the likes if WB and Ubisoft who perpetually shit out trash on the PC, but every cloud and all that. Even back when console ports were inferior, many of them (Doom and Quake included) would contain content not present in even the PC version to compensate. Granted that, in this regard, they were a hell if a lot more interesting back then.

What DOOM proves is that shooters can be great again, regardless of platform. And given the perceived backlash against the new CoD, I have hope for the future.

Consoles and casuals are the two reasons usually advanced by those who subscribe to the Glorious PC Master Race ideology to explain why new games are shitty, dumbed-down, linear, and short. It also more accurately explain why game interfaces nowadays tend to not make use of what a mouse pointer can do, and also tend to use a gigantic font that makes it impossible to display more than 40 characters on the (wide)screen at once.

Personally I don't care for consoles because I don't care for the "walled gardens" they tend to be, and honestly I haven't wished to have a console past the 16-bit era. Like even today, I think I'd be more enthused by a SNES or a Megadrive over the latest models of Xbox or Playstation.

The glorious thing about Doom 2016 ( I have it on XBOX One) is the FOV and other options to modify, you can even turn off aim assist.

Jet1337 said:

good thing Doom 2016 runs at 60fps even on console, Xbox one in my case since my PC isnt up to spec and considering that employment is an off and on thing for me right now, money to upgrade is a bit tight.

Good thing my brother is an avid xbox one player.

I Don't hate consoles, but i don't like them either, Some of my favorite games aren't ported to consoles + I Can barely create mods to my fav games + I Hate the way controls work there .

Modern games are all about DRM for the most part and require an internet connection to play it or to download it. With consoles you can stay offline and just pop in the disc and play the game without worring about your internet connection.

Jet1337 said:

I don't like playing games in 900p/30 fps either.

I hope you do not play Doom, because the graphics in Doom completely suck compared movies. I want to see the sweat and hairs moving on the Doomguy's hands as he kills demons, and do not get me started on the cheap pixelated blood effects. I want to see the demons getting ripped apart from a super shotgun blast with their organs and skin tearing open and spewing according to the laws of physics. I want the Doom guy to get tired after running up a 1,000 flight staircase in PWADs, falling down the stairs when landing on a staircase, tripping on floors, requiring rest, food, and bathroom breaks in between demon killing.

Phml said:

The limitations of consoles have bled into game design. Because you cannot move fast and aim with a gamepad, shooter gameplay switched from run AND gun to run OR gun.

Never really had any trouble running and gunning in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, you have to move fast and shoot on the go if you want to get any cheats. On higher difficulties, auto aim is delayed by about half a second so it is quite useless.

DRMs require internet ? there's something called "Offline mode" which lets you play games you already downloaded .

Because consoles are the reason that MP and SnapMap have two weapon limits, and Snapmap is so limited, to the point of having a 12 enemy maximum.
Everything has to be optimized for console controls and performance, at the expense of the game's depth and quality.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

In my opinion companies should encourage the idea of playing FPS with keyboard and mouse on consoles. Reading game forums, I know a lot of people use monitors with PS4 and sit close. Some games do allow KB & M (not sure about Doom), for instance Final Fantasy MMO. That was allowed on PS3. So it's up to the developers or publishers to do that, if they want to. They're really just limited PCs that cost less and have their own digital ecosystem (store/accounts). I grew up with the 8/16-bit era of Japanese systems and loved those kind of games which weren't really available in nearly as good of quality on PC -- even the arcade ports weren't either. But that era died out in the 90s pretty much and now it's much more blurred over which "side" has the best, and I'd rather just see the platforms disintegrate, or meld together, as there are good games on all of them (mobile too), and it'd be nice if you could just play the mobile title you bought on your phone also on your TV-system (console) and bedroom system (PC) without re-buying or waiting for a port, or stream it from Steam/PS Now to the tablet or console. I hope that's the future, if it's fast enough.