Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Ultra Nightmare Playthrough in 4h45m

Incase anyone is interested, here's a completion of the game on ultra nightmare difficulty that I did yesterday.

I'm not sure if it's the first UNM ever, but I haven't found anyone doing it before my time (5/14/2016 8:50:48pm).

@wheresthebeef, I remember similar comments from Blizzard with Diablo 3, and they "doubled" the difficulty even though they couldn't beat it. Needless to say that game got beaten on the hardest difficulty in a few days too.

@gamul312, I'd probably make it so hard that nobody would ever bother trying it, so not a good idea :)

Yes, many many hours of work went into that one, and I got some extreme amount of good luck. You don't really need any luck at all with the new doom, which is nice (no hitscan for example).

wheresthebeef said:

But wow, wtf @ beating the hardest mode nobody at id could do within 48 hours of release

We only have their word on that. It might as well just be a marketing ploy.

I do not think Id Software would deliberately design a mode that they cannot even beat themselves at least once to see if it is working properly.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

We only have their word on that. It might as well just be a marketing ploy.

I do not think Id Software would deliberately design a mode that they cannot even beat themselves at least once to see if it is working properly.

Well, the only real difference between this and Nightmare is perma-death so I'm guessing they've managed to beat Nightmare at some point.

I think it was in an interview with Marty Stratton that he mentioned that someone had made it half way, at 2:25:30 I found a helmet belonging to one of the id guys (time of death is almost a month before game release). Helmets are left behind at the spot you die at, I hardly saw any past the first 3 maps, though they can be hard to notice as you have to be a bit close to them. I also saw 2 helmets after the first boss fight, I don't recall any other far into the game besides my own at 4:35:20 in the video (shows it for like a single frame, I think the red color indicates it's your own)

You can officially have unlimmited ammo in a game where there's tons of ammo? Wow!!!

ZeroMaster010 said:

Incase anyone is interested, here's a completion of the game on ultra nightmare difficulty that I did yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8

I'm not sure if it's the first UNM ever, but I haven't found anyone doing it before my time (5/14/2016 8:50:48pm).

So how do you feel playing a console shooter...I think it was a pathetic experience for you)

id.dav said:

You can officially have unlimmited ammo in a game where there's tons of ammo? Wow!!!

That seems like something they need to tone down alot. Hp it seems like I have to keep track of more generally due to how damaging enemy attacks can be, but it feels like it's way to easy to stay topped off ammo wise (not counting the chainsaw which takes that to an extreme). Ammo gains need to be like cut in half or something, along with a nerf to how much you can get from using the chainsaw (maybe having it so you only get ammo for a number of random weapons instead of just all of them).

LittleBurger said:

That seems like something they need to tone down alot. Hp it seems like I have to keep track of more generally due to how damaging enemy attacks can be, but it feels like it's way to easy to stay topped off ammo wise (not counting the chainsaw which takes that to an extreme). Ammo gains need to be like cut in half or something, along with a nerf to how much you can get from using the chainsaw (maybe having it so you only get ammo for a number of random weapons instead of just all of them).

I actually disagree there. At the very least I think shotgun ammo should always be plentiful, in both this and classic Doom.

Kudos on this run! You are a Doom master.

That is awesome. About to start my first nightmare run, as I beat UV yesterday.

I wish beating the game got you something. You know, like the praetor suit for multiplayer. I thought it was going to happen for beating nightmare or ultra-nightmare, but no dice from what I've read. :(

Not impressed until he does it with the guitar controller....

On a more serious note:
I don't have enough hats (and I have many) to tip to you! That's mighty impressive! I'm currently happy that I hold my ground on Ultra-Voilence very well (haven't died yet, five levels to go), but I am already trembling in regard of Nightmare difficulty!

Well done!

Now do it with the guitar controller....

id.dav said:

So how do you feel playing a console shooter...I think it was a pathetic experience for you)

Way to undermine someone's honest effort, I do hope you're satisfied.

Thanks everyone.

Something weird is up with the processing for the upload, 720p and 1080p is up for now at least, but it keeps resetting back to 0% processed at some points, so it doesn't have lower quality options for now. I have no idea when it will actually finish for those who might have slower internet.

@id.dav, it's a fun game, you should give it a try if you haven't :)

@Ironhound, I think it's best that you don't get anything for something like this, I feel it would piss a lot of people off because it's too difficult to get all achivements or some awesome armor etc.

Good run, why didn't you use headshots more? I understand coller shots with shotty but the hr you just spray alot of trash down instead of getting headshots. One of the weird things that gave me a tiny grief in this doom is just remembering to use my equipment. Other then that the combat is fairly easy. Hella fun though. great job again.

Ironhound said:

That is awesome. About to start my first nightmare run, as I beat UV yesterday.

I wish beating the game got you something. You know, like the praetor suit for multiplayer. I thought it was going to happen for beating nightmare or ultra-nightmare, but no dice from what I've read. :(

Actually, there was something about this in the alpha/beta files, if you would beat the game in the nightmare mode, you would get the praetor suit for the multiplayer.

Sadly, it looks like this was cut.

Thanks again.

MrGlide said:

Good run, why didn't you use headshots more? I understand coller shots with shotty but the hr you just spray alot of trash down instead of getting headshots. One of the weird things that gave me a tiny grief in this doom is just remembering to use my equipment. Other then that the combat is fairly easy. Hella fun though. great job again.

To be honest I didn't think to much about headshots, but you are right. Maybe it was just something I couldn't get used to since it's doom, I just kept forgetting to aim for the head for some reason. Usually I would only do it with the gauss rifle sometimes. And the same about equipment, I just could never get used to using it at all, only a couple of times did I ever use the grenades, but mid\late game it is more likely to be a miss click, haha.

I really think it's for the best that there is no steam achivement or armor etc. for beating it on ultra nightmare, you wouldn't want to force people who want 100% or some armor set to do something like this, would be a bit cruel :)

I know, I'd be extremely mad If I had to beat the game on Ultra Nightmare. But that really didn't stop me from playing Wolfenstein: TNO on Uber (which I just quit).

ZeroMaster010 said:

Nice! I dind't want to spoil the game for myself but f*** it, I love speedruns too much.
I like that you did glory kills just because killing them with weapons when they are stunned would be only a waste of ammo!

I'm still one of the few who have yet to play the new Doom..
Ill hold back on the video, but it sound really impressive..
However that Final Doom playthrough... that really is something else!
The way you timed the archille exploding you through the air/ rocket jumped/ or just fragged yourself to victory was absolutely Awesome!!

Jesus Christ the game hasn't even been out longer than a week. I'm only on map02.