Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phosis

The Next Doom

I hope they take their time on whatever DLC, etc, they are planning. But if they do plan to do another large chunk of single player whether it be an expansion or a whole new game, there are a few things I'd like to see.

Use the existing engine. But expand upon it. Doom 2 to me was always the logical extension of the first game where the developers were comfortable enough with the engine to go wild with level design. I think the success of this one (so far) is evidence that people aren't in need of a Call of Duty narrative or endless cut scenes. What was in this Doom was just limited enough to not be offensive and didn't take itself seriously, but even it felt as though it was present in an obligatory fashion and didn't really need to be there. The optional lore could have been enough to convey the entire plot.

Story aside, amp things up in the design department. One thing that still hasn't returned to Doom are the tricks and traps, nonsensical though they were in the context of world building. Doom was a grab bag trickier puzzle areas punctuated with huge firefights, and that isn't present in Doom 3 and beyond.

Maybe we are too modernized to accept a Doom which shrugs at sensibly designed levels, but with the combat system being as fun as it is, it could be interesting to see a return to a more free-form style.

If we get another helping of the current Doom, what do you want to see present?

I'd prefer if they would stop making anything Doom related and let the series rest peacefully in the minds of fans and mappers/modders.

If they make a new one I'd like to see some more bizarre level design with more moving parts and twista and turns. And more areas where you have to explore a bit before opening a Door.

For combat, maybe find some new way to spice that up. In my imagination, I think it would be cool to have more unexpected things happen in levels. A bit like a monster closet, but something like one of those blurry scratched windows you don't pay attention to having a monster smash out of it when you're walking by.

Or in hell, have a wall suddenly come to life, reshaping, and then monsters spawn into this new weird room you've found yourself in. In general just keep me surprised, keep it creative. Do things we wouldn't expect them to do, mess with the formula.

This game really delivered, but I wouldn't mind seeing id do something else for their next game. We'll see what happens.

The Next Doom will be Doom 2016 BFG Edition, It will contain extra CTF Mode/Levels and a New Episode called "Doom IV The Lost Mission", It will kill the atmosphere & ruin the experience .

The new DOOM Is a origin story, so that would mean the timeline would be this game, then DOOM 1, then DOOM 2. DOOM 3 might be a entirely different story.

But I don't want another DOOM, I want the series to rest. A series that really needs to come back Is Quake, but not the generic Quake II, but Quake 1, or a continuation of Quake 1.

Just get Trent Reznor to work on the soundtrack, and bring The Shambler back. Then I'm all set.

I'm really sure that Samuel didn't send Doom back to Hell. It was left too vague after the scene cuts to the title. It's someplace the devs didn't want to give away yet. Earth? Phobos/Deimos?

He sent him to an all-expense-paid Caribbean cruise, hoping that the sun, sand, and waterslides would calm his eternal fury.

I'd rather have an expansion or two that would represent doom 2 and maybe something else, but have it include the level design of the best designed levels as the base thing to strive for design wise.

Hmm, well, the story In the manual does say that Doomguy was ordered to fire upon civilians and he assaulted his senior officer, I'm guessing they retconned the original story?

I hope too see a lot of DLC expansions. The more single player we get, the more shit we may get in SnapMap. Seriously though, SP is far more fun than what we create in Snapmap.

Glaice said:

I'd prefer if they would stop making anything Doom related and let the series rest peacefully in the minds of fans and mappers/modders.

That would be stupid especially considering that Snap Map is currently very limited and suffers from consolitis.

PsychoGoatee said:

If they make a new one I'd like to see some more bizarre level design with more moving parts and twista and turns. And more areas where you have to explore a bit before opening a Door.

For combat, maybe find some new way to spice that up. In my imagination, I think it would be cool to have more unexpected things happen in levels. A bit like a monster closet, but something like one of those blurry scratched windows you don't pay attention to having a monster smash out of it when you're walking by.

Or in hell, have a wall suddenly come to life, reshaping, and then monsters spawn into this new weird room you've found yourself in. In general just keep me surprised, keep it creative. Do things we wouldn't expect them to do, mess with the formula.

This game really delivered, but I wouldn't mind seeing id do something else for their next game. We'll see what happens.

This.

I'd like to see a proper HD remake of the original Doom games with easily useable modding and mapping tools. For console and PC release.

This isn't HD but I like the general twisted art direction and I think a Doom remake would benefit from a hellish style like this:

Holy fuck that Pinky.

It looks like It wants to die or It's screaming In agony.

Tritnew said:

It looks like It wants to die or It's screaming In agony.

Seems suitably hellish to me.

Glaice said:

They've already made a resource extractor.

All we need to deal with now is megatextures.

Create an expansion based off the Phobos incident, with an entire base to explore based off the original map from the Hangar all the way to Phobos Anomaly site.
Add in story elements and some codex about this being the first incident, add more variants of the demons skins, and more demons like the Pain elemental, arachnotron etc.. because why not? It can be a totally reimagined Knee deep in the dead.
Maybe you could play as a human Marine for sure this time Being sent with a group up to investigate following a distress signal or something to that effect, and during this time Mars is a functional base seen with extra CGI cutscenes getting into the teleportation story elements more.
Add a totally new Boss and maybe multiple cyberdemons this time. Would be pretty epic =)

I believe they retconned the story so this DOOM's story might be the first Incident and the one In the original DOOM Is the second Incident.

Tritnew said:

I believe they retconned the story so this DOOM's story might be the first Incident and the one In the original DOOM Is the second Incident.

You do realize that this game is a sequel to DOOM 64, and not an origin story, right?

There's many ways that we can theorize the game's story, some people think It's a origin story (this was offically said by Id Software and some people at QuakeCon 2014, mind you). While others like me sometimes think It's a continuation of DOOM 64, but DOOM 64 Is just either a spin-off or a semi-official continuation of DOOM II.

We won't find out till there's a continuation to DOOM 2016 or a DLC Expansion that's about 20 bucks, kind of like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

The Civ said:

You do realize that this game is a sequel to DOOM 64, and not an origin story, right?

Doom 64 is spin-off fanfiction and not canon.

That's like saying that every show with more than one writer has both fanfiction and canon episodes based solely on which writer was the first one to write the first episode. So I guess Doom 4 is fanfiction and non canon, too.

PsychoGoatee said:

Yes. I wish they hadn't cut so far away from the horror elements of 3. Doom should always be a little bit scary.

This whole putting the series to rest thing blows my mind, I really want to see more, just on this game. Ya another game would be cool but I think what we got is really great with what it has, I'd like to see them expand on the single player and co-op components of the game for sure. as for a whole nother game We can all agree to an extent that going back into the quake 1 universe would be great, But as for doom I hope all that is coming arn't those damn multiplayer maps. I wan't more single player content and much further development of snapmap.