Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Playstation Doom Arch Vile Sounds!

They were pretty cool and funny. I really like them. I'm thinking of using them in my future projects. Thanks for these sounds Mr. Hodges.

I feel like idle_14 had potential in particular for the active sound. Probably would sound menacing with the PSX's low sample rate and ADPCM compression rolling off the high frequencies.

Oh man they're here. Just in Time for Innocence X 2 :)
Thank you for your support of the community :D

Having done some voiceover work myself in the past, I know that these are in an early stage of processing/selection, and that their final form could be quite different, but IMO they -almost- all sound like animalistic grunts, more suitable as the base for a brutish orc/ogre type of monster.

I thought that Archvile would have some sort of more refined/complex/vocal/sinister sound as a base, as it's supposedly a smarter/more intelligent monster than the rest, with a deeper connection to Hell's magicks.

Honestly, they're a little too raw to judge if they're a good fit. Perhaps someone from the community would be able to finish the job?

Downsampling them would be an obvious thing to do, but I don't think it will suffice.

I whipped up a simple demonstration of a PSXified vile using some of the new sounds. Doesn't sound too bad IMO, if maybe lacking some of the alien-like tone the original had

It's great to finally get these, now we can have the authentic real deals after all these years. Though I can't help but imagine Hodges screaming into that Tacobell cup while listening to these. Makes me laugh.

It does sound kind of like a zombie/ogre, though.

Da Werecat said:

Perhaps someone from the community would be able to finish the job?

Here are some edits I did:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctpa7l9d38azhx4/soda_psx_archvile_edits.zip?dl=0

I tried to select the best sounding ones and stitch them together. Some small amount of phaser applied, not much else as far as effects go. I left in the 44100khz versions in case anyone wishes to build on this.

EDIT: I added a fire attack sound based on existing PSX Doom sound effects. Namely, DSPUNCH for the start, DSFIRSHT in reverse for the first half, and a portion of DSBFG for the end.

EDIT 2: Updated the sight and active sounds.

Eris Falling said:

I whipped up a simple demonstration of a PSXified vile using some of the new sounds. Doesn't sound too bad IMO, if maybe lacking some of the alien-like tone the original had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oe5wShCxcI

Awesome :) I was wondering if that test of yours would show up with the sounds :p

scalliano said:

My life is complete.

Nothing can stop us from putting Arch-viles in PSX Themed mapsets now!
*laughs maniacally*

jazzmaster9 said:

Nothing can stop us from putting Arch-viles in PSX Themed mapsets now!
*laughs maniacally*

Except the PSX TC taking 6 years to decide exactly WHAT sounds to include? :D

Ragnor said:

Except the PSX TC taking 6 years to decide exactly WHAT sounds to include? :D

Any that don't sound like pleased orc.

Da Werecat said:

Or a guy grunting into a microphone.

How about my edits? I don't think they sound quite as much like that.

Do we know the source of some of the sounds used in D64? There's plenty of them that are stock sounds.