Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what's your favorite horror game and why is it scary?

I've never really found a horror game scary, I did find Doom 3 only a little unsettling back in the day when I was 17 but not scary.

Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth, beacuse I'm big Lovecraft's fan and atmosphere of this game are really great.

My Favorite Horror games are Half-Life 2 & Half-Life 2 Êpisode 1, The Chapter "We don't go to Ravenholm" filled with Headcrabs and creepy zombies coming out of spooky houses and Dark corners, and Episode 1 Lift chapter when stuff start falling on you and you had to shoot em with your GGun .... etc

Episode 2 wasn't as scary as the first 2 Episodes IMHO .

Dead Space 2.

I always found the sequel "scarier" than the first entry in the series, although it still wasn't scary per se. The main thing about Dead Space 2 that made it more unsettling was the hallucinations that Isaac saw. The eye-poker machine near the end took the cake, though - I legitimately had to take a breather after seeing it, and that's not something that occurs often.

Folks are gonna laugh at me, but the only game that made me SO SCARED THAT MY HEART WANTED TO JUMP OUT was Everlasting Summer. In case you don't know, it's a visual novel by a couple of Russian imageboards, like Katawa oh-damn-forgot-the-name. Anyway, one of its endings (specifically, Miku's) made me shake, I really wanted to scream.
Basically, zombie apocalypse + mass murder, independently from each other.
It was 3 AM though when I played it, so that might have influenced my stress-resistance.
----
The Ghoul's Forest made me feel uneasy too, but that's not exactly a game.

SFoZ911 said:

The Ring

The instant I read that, I got tears in my eyes, chills in my spine and goosebumps on my flesh.

But the Silent Hill games have really nice atmosphere. IMO it more on creepy than scary. I can't seem to get scared in horror games.

Doom 64, the music and dark atmosphere, plus if a demon sneaks on your back and bites you, there was a moment where i turned back, i was starled and after shooting it, i stood staring at the screen for a minute, honorable mention would be Quake's 4th episode, because shamblers, vores and spawns aren't very nice creatures to meet, also try playing Quake with the N64 music and it gets tense and dark.
Another honorable mention would be Clive Barker's Undying, it has some really tense moments, plus it gets weird and strange sometimes.
Although these games aren't scary for me now, back when i was younger they were, i've seen too much horror movies and games so i can say there's nothing good enough to scare me.

kuchitsu said:

I'm a wimp and I'll never get a game with the intention of getting scared.

Eversion was also kinda scary in a cool subtle way.

I agree with both.

Silent Hill 2
RE:Remake
Doom 64
Undying
Call of Cthulu:Dark Corners of the Earth
Condemned

They're my favorite horror games not because they are scary neccessarily but because of the incredible atmosphere in all of those games (As well as the engaging plots in most of them)

Silent Hill 2 was pretty terrifying IMHO.

But so was the first Dead Space.....

And uh... I got legit terrified by Alien: Isolation. It's pretty frightening.