Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Indoor Lightning

Well, all of the lighting types work for me except this one. Why?

It will only work if you have lightning in the map. To do that, you'll need to change the mapinfo data file. The first map of Carnage Galore 3 has this effect (look at the glass in the ceiling throught the town). I set the mapinfo of this map to this:

map 1 "THE TOWN OF JINQATHOS"
warptrans 1
next 2
cluster 1
sky1 SKY2 20
sky2 SKY3 20
lightning
cdtrack 13

The text not underlined can be anything you want, but to get the indoor lightning (and, of course, thunder), the 'lightning' must be there.

if you are into scripting you can do it quite easily, justchange the light of the sectors near the windows in quick impulses and play a global thunder sound in the same time.

It's not actual lightning that happens inside. In Hexen, when there's a lightning effect in the map, the sectors with a sky periodically change to around 255 light (or fullbright) for an instant. Of course, there's also the thunder sound.

Indoor lightning is when certain sectors inside are lit up by the lightning. However, because it's inside, the sector will only brighten up a little. It makes for some nice effects, like the stained windows or skylights in a eerie, dark church or temple being lit up by the lightning outside.

So, I can just make a mapinfo lump, put lightning in there somewhere and it'll work eh?
Hmmm....

Now as you know, there are all kinds of ambient sounds in ZDoomHexen mode that you can put into your level. In this case, what ambient sound is thunder? There are some many, I can't possibly choose which one :)