Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chickensoup101

That other Doom 4

I'm talking about the cancelled one, The Call Of DOOM or BattleDOOM version. Have you guys ever curious to see a gameplay footage of the canceled Doom 4 and what it's look like?

The assets look quite good, actually. They should consider salvaging them and making it its own game or something, be a shame to let them go to waste. Kind of like how the prototype of RE4 gave birth to Devil May Cry.

Chickensoup101 said:

I'm talking about the cancelled one, The Call Of DOOM or BattleDOOM version. Have you guys ever curious to see a gameplay footage of the canceled Doom 4 and what it's look like?

The couple seconds we got to see had a bunch of NPCs, the guy walking even slower than the Doom 3 guy while wagging a really generic assault rifle, and was mostly just reusing assets from Rage to knock a game out quick and dirty.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that some of it (story elements) got filtered down to the team handling Wolfenstein: TNO, since it had a rather striking wolfy "uprising" resemblance. And Quasar is correct, seemed to use a lot of recycled rage assets.

According to this random person in the youtube comments, that the other Doom 4 is going to be based on the Doom Novel... That chick in the trailer is Arlene Sanders! Flynn Taggart's partner.

Edit

Buckshot said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that some of it (story elements) got filtered down to the team handling Wolfenstein: TNO

HOLY SHIT! That's what i was thinking back then! What if The New Order borrowed some story and gameplay elements from the cancelled Doom 4

I still do not understand why Id refused to make a proper Doom 3 sequel set on Earth.

After all, not only did Bethesda take the time to re-release Doom 3 as the BFG Edition, but they clearly did not mind producing Wolfenstein: The New Order, a direct follow-up to the now almost-forgotten Wolfenstein 2009.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I still do not understand why Id refused to make a proper Doom 3 sequel set on Earth.

After all, not only did Bethesda take the time to re-release Doom 3 as the BFG Edition, but they clearly did not mind producing Wolfenstein: The New Order, a direct follow-up to the now almost-forgotten Wolfenstein 2009.

I think the game we got is much better. I wouldn't mind a Hell on Earth followup in Doom 2016's style though.

Maybe they can salvage some finished assets for Doom II (2018): Hell on Earth? I am strictly talking about map assets (meshes, geometry, textures), maybe ideas regarding maps etc.

They could at least use some of the concepts. It could have been a good modernized Doom 2 with a lot of work. My main issue (besides the obvious lack of demons and the prominence of cheesy looking soldiers in blatantly 20th century looking gear) was that it looked like every post-apocalyptic cityscape in history, rather than something a bit more futuristic and distinctive.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Same thing I thought.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't simply because while I enjoyed Doom 3, I didn't enjoy it enough to complete it more than once, maybe twice. I enjoyed ROE considerably more though. Plus I loved Rage so much.

The graphics in the CODoom trailer are nice, I'll say that. And it makes me want another Rage honestly. That game had excellent car combat and just enough RPG elements to be fun without being overly intrusive to gameplay.

But I'm hoping we get either a proper sequel or a couple Old Blood style expansions to this one and they do go with the Hell on Earth theme (a trip back to the moons would be nostalgic of course). With HOE they could really see how big they can make the maps and go nuts with it and that would be fine with me. Push that tech!

I still think the plot and setting would make for a decent Doom movie, one with actual Hell and demons in it you know. Since it was pretty much gonna be a movie anyway where you occasionally quicktime-ducked for cover and allegedly got to fire some guns at certain points.

Johnatone said:

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't simply because while I enjoyed Doom 3, I didn't enjoy it enough to complete it more than once, maybe twice.

But that is the thing: it does not seem like people really cared all that much for Wolfenstein 2009 either, yet The New Order is still taking place in the same universe. Granted, BJ looked completely different and so was the gameplay, but the game still acknowledged the events of its predecessor.

So why not just do the same with Doom 2016? It is so bizarre.

That cancelled version reminds me of RAGE, i think they should make a sequel using those assets, but then again, it won't probably happen, because sales.

Pretty sure they salvaged the SSG in Doom'16 from that one - it looks really similar.

I'm still not convinced that was ever supposed to be a Doom game. I think there was a Rage sequel/prequel being brainstormed that they never made an official statement on, because no one cared. There might well have been a canned version of Doom 4 also, but "Call of Doom" looked too much like another IP to have anything to do with it.

If I'm wrong, then no wonder it was canned. What were they thinking?

DoomUK said:

I'm still not convinced that was ever supposed to be a Doom game. I think there was a Rage sequel/prequel being brainstormed that they never made an official statement on, because no one cared. There might well have been a canned version of Doom 4 also, but "Call of Doom" looked too much like another IP to have anything to do with it.

That Kotaku article from years ago confirmed that the footage and screenshots were indeed from a Doom game.

As for what they were thinking: money. RAGE was id trying to pander to the console crowd after all, and the scrapped version of Doom took it even further with its scripted events and more realistic gameplay that made it clear they wanted that Call of Duty money, which is what everyone wanted between 2008-2013 with the dozens of clones that failed (that awful Medal of Honor reboot and its sequel) and sometimes killed entire developers.
Some of that thinking remained with the new version too, as the insecure multiplayer shows.

MrSkeltal said:

That Kotaku article from years ago confirmed that the footage and screenshots were indeed from a Doom game.

If they say so, but I remember Matt Hooper saying something along the lines of "this has nothing to do with Doom" when all those alleged Doom 4 screenshots were leaked, which were suspiciously similar to Call of Doom. Maybe he was just being secretive, maybe I'm overthinking it, I don't know.

He could have been saying it had nothing to do with the Doom they were going to eventually release, kind of a subtle way of saying that wasn't necessarily a separate game.

I think when he said that they had already scrapped the Call of Doom version and began work on the current one, so technically he was saying the truth.

Edit: ^Beaten.

I hope iD shows some gameplay of the scrapped game as a "it could have been" type of deal, I'm pretty interested in seeing how DOOM 4 could've turned out

DoomUK said:

Someone I know very well interviewed for a job near the end of Rage development and was shown areas from this game and was told they were from the upcoming Doom. So I can definitively shoot that theory down for you.

BluePineapple72 said:

I hope iD shows some gameplay of the scrapped game as a "it could have been" type of deal, I'm pretty interested in seeing how DOOM 4 could've turned out

It would be interesting to see how it would have played in some fashion.

Honestly the Hell on Earth concept really begs for a good multiplayer experience.

The Human Resistance vs The Hellspawn for multiplayer, and then a really good four player cooperative mode.

Agree with OpenMaw -- after all, it's past time for another Enemy Territory, yeah?

anything 'doom 4' had that might have been salvageable content was already ported to doom 2016 (see the super shotgun for example)

i never want to see 'the other doom 4'. some things just aren't meant to be.