ZeroTheEro

James & Mike Plays Doom 64

Guest Unregistered account
James said:

It could've been awesome...

I... I thought it was awesome. ;-;

Kapanyo said:

I... I thought it was awesome. ;-;

Because it is! :) I've got the impression they had the game super dark for some reason, so no wonder they didn't enjoy it if they couldn't see what they're doing.

I could understand them not being the sharpest but to then blame the game on it seems a little bit petty. They didn't even try to strafe.

It's a legit complaint, I remember we would only play d64 at night to avoid glare on the CRT back in the day. While it added to the fear, ultimately it led to me and my friends moving on to other stuff since we tended to hang out during the daytime like good little boys.

The experience of playing the game on a PC via doom64EX is far superior imo. Kaiser is Lord.

I'm not surprised at their reaction to be honest. The lighting and controls are probably the worst things about the game (being played on an N64). I love Doom 64 and played it a ton, but it was a very dark game and the controls (mostly thanks to the N64 controller) made the game a lot harder than it actually was. The lack of multiplayer was a bummer too. I get the feeling they do like the game though, even with the flaws.

The best thing to happen to Doom 64 was Kaiser and Doom64EX (and the TC too). It's a great game hampered by the platform it was on. Thankfully Kaiser was a rad enough dude to set it free on the PC.

I'm not terribly surprised they didn't enjoy it all that much. Doom 64 is one of my favorite entries in the series, but I think you'd need to be an already-established fan of the series to really appreciate it. The game is a bit niche given that it came out at a time when fully polygonal FPS games were starting to become the norm. The game is also incredibly dark; I've had a really difficult time getting the game up and running on certain TVs even with the brightness slider all the way up in-game. Emulation and/or ports such as Doom 64 EX help greatly, but playing it on the actual console can be a bit of a struggle depending on your setup.

EDIT: Damn, Mechadon basically said the same thing I did but a minute earlier. :(

Nice to see them not trying to be comedian fucks like so many YT gamers. I like hearing straightforward convos like this.

Amen to that. It's nice to see a gamer on youtube who's just chill while playing the games. Which is funny, considering he pretty much started the whole trend of internet comedy shows about video games, although it was in the form of reviews instead of LPs.

I'll give them the fact that the ephasis on puzzle-solving manifested itself a bit too soon, but I didn't have half as much trouble my first time around as they did. The darkness wasn't much of an issue either (that said I'm on a PAL N64 and the AV output is notorious for being overbright).

SSFF (HVGN)'s review was altogether much more positive.

Speaking of Doom64, is there any way to play COOP multiplayer? In Doom64ex or however? Since it's something I would really like to try at some point.

So much complaining about Doom 64's darkness, but if you turn up the brightness, adjust your TV's brightness a touch and play without lights on, it looks fine. Yeah, it's a bit of work, but so what?

GoatLord said:

So much complaining about Doom 64's darkness, but if you turn up the brightness, adjust your TV's brightness a touch and play without lights on, it looks fine. Yeah, it's a bit of work, but so what?

I wish I was smart enough to know that when I was 11 and rented it from blockbuster and couldn't get past the pitch black hallways in level 2 before I had to return it.

Shouldn't HAVE to do that though really =/ Game should have been playable at the start or have one of those funny gamma correction things you can play about with before starting the game.

FuzzballFox said:

Shouldn't HAVE to do that though really =/ Game should have been playable at the start or have one of those funny gamma correction things you can play about with before starting the game.

It's also worth noting that these guys have always represented die-hard game fans that nonetheless don't really get deeply familiar with the how or why. They're just there to play games, not fiddle around with option menus or do research over the game before they play.

Like,

GoatLord said:

adjust your TV's brightness ... Yeah, it's a bit of work, but so what?

it's really not much effort, but it's still pretty absurd to ask the player to modify their TV settings. Especially if you don't actually ask, you just put them into a situation where it literally strains your eyes to play the game if they don't.

Arctangent said:

It's also worth noting that these guys have always represented die-hard game fans that nonetheless don't really get deeply familiar with the how or why. They're just there to play games, not fiddle around with option menus or do research over the game before they play.

I think many older games had them at the start before playing, so you kinda /had/ to, mainly horror games iirc.
But agreed many jump right in and first impressions really are important.

Arctangent said:

it's really not much effort, but it's still pretty absurd to ask the player to modify their TV settings. Especially if you don't actually ask, you just put them into a situation where it literally strains your eyes to play the game if they don't.

Nowadays almost every new game comes with a screen on first-time startup asking you to adjust the ingame brightness, so it's not THAT ludicrous.