Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azazel Bloodfucker

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

I did some games with the help of the wiki tutorial. It was awesome, and the ASCII art wasn't as indecipherable as I feared it would. But the learning curve is steep and I only have so much time.

My last fortress was doing pretty well. Despite some incursions from an underground forest my dwarves discovered, lingering depression by the death of one of their own, his ghost wandering around, elves who have been offended by my killed trees when they visited our hall for trading, my traps in the entrance that didn't work during an invasion, my elaborate underground supply of water that had frozen and was of no use during the winter, the huge influx of migrants that had me struggling to give them appropriate shelter and food in time, etc etc...

Kira said:

I did some games with the help of the wiki tutorial. It was awesome, and the ASCII art wasn't as indecipherable as I feared it would. But the learning curve is steep and I only have so much time.

My last fortress was doing pretty well. Despite some incursions from an underground forest my dwarves discovered, lingering depression by the death of one of their own, his ghost wandering around, elves who have been offended by my killed trees when they visited our hall for trading, my traps in the entrance that didn't work during an invasion, my elaborate underground supply of water that had frozen and was of no use during the winter, the huge influx of migrants that had me struggling to give them appropriate shelter and food in time, etc etc...

Yeah good times, the new update where you can make sites in adventure mode is fucking rad.

Oh shit, I didn't know the new update was out. I usually check Toady's devlog periodically and play the major new versions for a bit, but I've been slacking. I was really looking forward to the adventure mode site making. The only thing I really wish was added was adventure mode mining, masonry, and various crafting. But being able to build a home base is a great start. Now I can live my hermit survival dreams in Dwarf Fortress and not just Minecraft!

I tried to play it once, but never went through with it. My love for the text-based aesthetic and the depth of the game's complexity are what got me interested, but I couldn't get deeper into it because it has too many commands for different things. My memory is really short, so I end up just forgetting how to do anything after a short amount time.

Benjogami said:

Oh shit, I didn't know the new update was out. I usually check Toady's devlog periodically and play the major new versions for a bit, but I've been slacking. I was really looking forward to the adventure mode site making. The only thing I really wish was added was adventure mode mining, masonry, and various crafting. But being able to build a home base is a great start. Now I can live my hermit survival dreams in Dwarf Fortress and not just Minecraft!

I'm pretty sure you can chop down trees and maybe mine now in Adventure mode. Also any followers you have can help.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

My memory is really short, so I end up just forgetting how to do anything after a short amount time.

Yeah this is the kind of game where you are better off having a sticky with commands/processes you do not use often.

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

I actually never had a problem with remembering most of the stuff, maybe it's just my autism.

It could be that you played it a lot at once, or regularly. Now that you say this I feel I am a bit talking out of my ass here, as I was still green by the time I decided to put the game on the side.

DF has always been a thing i come to for about a month, leave for 2 years, then come back to for about a month, repeat. The schedule of updates kept my routine pretty locked down until recently what with all the monthly updates and bug-fixes and what not. Although that doesn't stop me from getting excited about what it will look like in two years!

When I first heard about Dwarf Fortress I was pretty "eh" about it since I'm not too into the whole Tolkien-Esq style outside of Tolkien himself. But then I learned that it was essentially RNG the game and full of crazy shit like zombie peacock dinosaurs with trunks and acid spit. It's fucking amazing.

Yes. I've been playing the game for almost a decade now. No, I haven't gotten any better at it.

It's a game that I've always found really interesting, but I'm not sure how much patience I'd have to learn the UI and all of the other little mechanics. There's so much that happens in that game that you don't see, the complexity is really insane. Maybe one day I'll give it a try.

Mechadon said:

It's a game that I've always found really interesting, but I'm not sure how much patience I'd have to learn the UI and all of the other little mechanics. There's so much that happens in that game that you don't see, the complexity is really insane. Maybe one day I'll give it a try.

You should really try it sometime, it's good fun. Just remember "Losing is fun".