Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Doom Won't Run! Can Someone Help?

I got my preordered Doom today, and after installing it onto Steam and pressing play, I said it was running and then it just stopped. How do I fix this? I'm using a Windows 8 computer.

Let's see, have you tried restarting your computer? Are you using the latest NVIDIA or ATI drivers (depending on your graphics card)? Have you closed your web browsers etc so you have as much memory free as possible?

Also for steam there's an option to verify the game cache, where it checks to make sure it downloaded it all properly. You get that by right-clicking on Doom in your steam library list, clicking properties, going to the local files tab, and clicking the "verify the integrity of game cache" button.

PsychoGoatee said:

Let's see, have you tried restarting your computer? Are you using the latest NVIDIA or ATI drivers (depending on your graphics card)? Have you closed your web browsers etc so you have as much memory free as possible?

Also for steam there's an option to verify the game cache, where it checks to make sure it downloaded it all properly. You get that by right-clicking on Doom in your steam library list, clicking properties, going to the local files tab, and clicking the "verify the integrity of game cache" button.

I've restarted my computer and done the "verify the integrity of game cache" thing already. I don't have a NVIDIA driver or an ATI driver.

Do you actually have a computer capable of running it?

Yes.

Assuming what you're saying is that you're running on-board graphics, then you've no chance of running the game. Next time check the specs of both your machine and the game before you buy it.

Da Eediot said:

It's a Windows 8 desktop computer. Do I need a special graphics card to run the game?

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
Storage: 55 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
Storage: 55 GB available space

Yes, you do in fact need a half-decent graphics card to run this game. It's not a well orchestrated FMV last we checked.

Da Eediot said:

What do I need in order to play it?

Right click on the My Computer icon (or whatever it's called in windows 8), see what it says under system. You need a decent processor, mine for example is an intel core i5-2500k, which is right around the minimum recommended.

You also need at least 8gb of installed memory (RAM).

But as mentioned, you do need a decent graphics card for this game. An NVIDIA Geforce, something like a $300 GTX 970 if you want to run it on ultra settings at 60FPS. You could run it on lower settings if you get say a $200 video card.

If all else fails, you can get a refund on steam. It's also on PS4/XBOne if you have either of those consoles.

Holy shit! NVIDIA GTX 970 drivers are over $300! What the fuck?! Do they sell any cheap drivers that could run Doom?!

Da Eediot said:

Holy shit! NVIDIA GTX 970 drivers are over $300! What the fuck?! Do they sell any cheap drivers that could run Doom?!

That's a graphics card, drivers are the update files you download for the your graphics card. Graphics cards are fairly pricey. I bought that one mainly for this game, my previous one was four years old.

The cheapest would be a GTX 670 or AMD equivalent. They cost about the same, actually.
No. To play games with top of the line graphics, you need the equivalent hardware to run it.

Da Eediot said:

Couldn't I somehow get it to run without an expensive graphics card?

You could run it on lower settings with a less pricey graphics card, but that would still be like $200 instead of $300. You could also get a playstation 4 for around $350.

Also, just for more info, if you have a premade computer by Hewlett Packard or Dell or something like that, it's possible one of these nice big graphics cards wouldn't fit well in it. You need good airflow, cable management etc. I once tried putting a huge ATI card into a premade PC and it was a mess, it varies, so keep that in mind too. And you also need a power supply that can handle it, sometimes those computers have power supplies on the lower end.

Da Eediot said:

Are there any graphics cards that are around $50 that would get Doom to run?

The cheapest gpu you can get is gtx 750 ti...it will run Doom pretty good with 720p and medium settings! But is more than 100$.

Da Eediot said:

I got my preordered Doom today, and after installing it onto Steam and pressing play, I said it was running and then it just stopped. How do I fix this? I'm using a Windows 8 computer.

Sounds like graphics driver

What specifications is your system anyway? We only really need to know the minimum of the CPU, RAM amount and graphics. Google "Speccy" from Piriform, you can find out your specs very quickly and easily using it (Don't worry, Piriform's software is safe and I use it too).

I guessing this machine wouldn't have the power requirements to run a high-mid range card anyway. Pre-built systems barely have enough juice for their cheapo components.

Da Eediot said:

Are there any graphics cards that are around $50 that would get Doom to run?

Go on to the second hand market and find out!
Such as Ebay.

Xbox one is $350 if you want to go that route. I'm not sure of Amazon still does tax or not.

Da Eediot said:

Drivers themselves are specially coded software that teach your computer to use a specific piece of hardware, the GPU itself costs over $300 buck, but the drivers you download them for free.

Da Eediot said:

Couldn't I somehow get it to run without an expensive graphics card?

Honest answer here is no, you won't.

Da Eediot said:

That sucks.

Not really. That's just computers; They aren't magic boxes of infinite processing. You actually need complex hardware to run complex software.

Da Eediot said:

That sucks.

Well, yeah, but unfortunately that's how computing works in general. You gotta keep upgrading the hardware constantly if you wanna run the best games with top-notch quality.