Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Crashes to Desktop, Often

What has been a fun game is quite marred by its incredible ability to crash back to the desktop during the most trivial of activities within the game. "Into The Fire" is the level I discuss: The arena that's telltale by its Mancubus duo? Kill the baddies, slaughter their friends, and that's when a Hellknight spawns. Twice now I have fought the beast, and twice has the game crashed in combat with this particular monster. More baffling, twice have I used the Combat Shotgun against it.

Funnier yet, I jogged on over to the Bethesda forums, and lo and behold: Someone had the exact same problem. The same spawning Hellknight! Some people have managed to finish this game now, I know, so clearly this is not an issue for everyone. Or rather, they didn't try to kill it with the Combat Shotgun.

The game crashed twice for me early in the game too, both during some kind of horde attack and both times during an audible cacophony of sounds, including several new sounds being introduced for the first time. It seems that certain triggers in the game are bugged? Or strange mixes?

Kind of reminds of the Joker's plot in the 1989 Batman film. Certain cosmetic products will cause death when mixed. It seems I have found the Joker's most lethal mashup: Combat Shotgun vs Hellknight.

More and more, this has pissed me right the fuck off. I guess I'll have to remember to use a different weapon?

Strange. I never got this issue.

I did get some freezes when I picked a certain Argent Container though.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

There are several huge threads about it on Steam. Seems to be a widespread issue.

What's weird is that I beat the game on HMP, not a single crash. I did a second run on Nightmare and it crashed at least once every level. There goes my Ultra-Nightmare run.

I haven't gotten any crashes yet, but it did seem to hang up a little when exiting from trials now and then when returning to sp.

DoomUK said:

There are several huge threads about it on Steam. Seems to be a widespread issue.

What's weird is that I beat the game on HMP, not a single crash. I did a second run on Nightmare and it crashed at least once every level. There goes my Ultra-Nightmare run.

If there's more monsters in the Nightmare levels, it could have to do with triggers, spawns, events, etc... Or as Justince said, something as simple as leaving the automap. It could be a monster getting killed on UV (What I'm playing) will have a different response than the same monster being killed in another difficulty setting. It could be because I'm on UV and maybe this Hellknight doesn't spawn otherwise. Perhaps it's because I'm using the shotgun. It's crazy. I imagine there's a general patch in the future coming from iD. Hopefully it'll have some kind of fix, though depending on the variables, this could be any number of things or many different things in general.

At one point, it was crashing repeatedly at a particular spot in the game for me. Here's how I solved the issue:

1. Go into your Steam library

2. Under the list of games, right-click 'Doom', and select 'Properties'

3. In the 'Properties' window, select the 'Local Files' tab

4. Click 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache', and wait for the process to run its course

This stopped the repeated crashes that were happening at the same spot for me. Granted, I still get sporadic ones in seemingly random places (usually after playing for a long while). In any event, I still repeat this process even when I'm not getting repeated crashes, as it's a good way to iron out potential crash bugs.

It's super annoying to get these while going and hunting for missed secrets because unlike in the main save file, if it crashes during mission select, you can't go back to the last checkpoint.

Interestingly, when it crashes, it's never when things start to slow down, and the game never freezes when it does. It just straight up exits the game and goes to desktop. No warning.

Huh, It's strange the these specific things are whats causing the crashes. I've had a few CTDs but they were always at random times and nothing corresponding to one another. However i get much worse issues where my whole PC will shut off as if it were powered down and then quickly reboot on it's own, which I've never had happen until running this game. At first i assumed it was an overheating issue but my temps were all reasonable so im starting to think it's a PSU problem. Either way it's not good.

I've had a few of these. At the CyberMancubus operating theater room. During the Cyberdemon fight. After level completion. Playing coop on snapmap. It's quite irritating.

add me to the list...happened today once. first time in the 2 hrs (if that) that i've been playing. just went straight to the desktop during a big imp fight.

i7 6770k 4.0ghz
16gb ddr4
msi radeon r9 390 (newest drivers that fixed the fps problem in doom)
msi gaming mobo
250gb ssd

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

Justince said:

I'm sure this will be worked out in the first patch or so. I've been really impressed with the game's performance, at least we're not seeing a Fallout level of fuckups.

no doubt. game runs silky smooth on ultra for me and looks amazing. i can live with a few crashes from time to time and i'm sure it will get patched.

I can second the dead mancubus room in the Lazarus labs. Crashed my game three times in a row when going back on mission select.