Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

They're not fucking around the Ultra Violence

Just a couple missions in and I'm dying left and right despite being a Doomer since '94. I'm impressed. You have to treat combat a bit differently than with classic Doom. It's brutal how the weakest enemies in the game (the possessed) can bitch slap 30 points off your health with a single attack. Holy shit.

Not done yet but I just got to the Titan's Realm last night.

Like you, when I started on UV I was getting my ass handed to me quite often. But then it started to feel easy, like a little too easy. Most likely because I found lots of secrets and had lots of upgrades. Anyway, sure enough it got hard again, very hard. You know it's going to be an intense battle when you walk into a room and see BFG ammo, haste and quad, several jump pads and portals.

Yeah I'm getting my butt kicked too. The monster behavior doesn't seem to change across skill levels from what I can tell, so I'm finding the monsters to be really unpredictable and it fucks my shit up a lot. I think eventually ill start recognizing patterns in their behavior but most of the time I'm just trying to get away from them and pick em off from a distance.

The ps4 controller is relatively new for me so I'm still working on seeing from my peripherals and getting my spatial awareness in order. Too often a dude comes up from behind me and I get the shit kicked out of me before i figure out where I'm taking damage from. It makes me feel pretty stupid most of the time even though I'm very comfortable in even the hardest old doom wads.

Btw how to you get more health out of glory kills? Sometimes I get like 70 and other times I get 5.

40oz said:

Yeah I'm getting my butt kicked too. The monster behavior doesn't seem to change across skill levels from what I can tell, so I'm finding the monsters to be really unpredictable and it fucks my shit up a lot. I think eventually ill start recognizing patterns in their behavior but most of the time I'm just trying to get away from them and pick em off from a distance.

The ps4 controller is relatively new for me so I'm still working on seeing from my peripherals and getting my spatial awareness in order. Too often a dude comes up from behind me and I get the shit kicked out of me before i figure out where I'm taking damage from. It makes me feel pretty stupid most of the time even though I'm very comfortable in even the hardest old doom wads.

Btw how to you get more health out of glory kills? Sometimes I get like 70 and other times I get 5.

You get more if you are under 50%.

Had to change to HMP after the first Hell level on my first playthrough (ps4), damn Hellknights!.I imagine it plays better with MK, but its one of the smoothest games Ive played with a pad.

Maybe someone could help me here.

Some people complain about HMP is way to easy. Well, as long as i am playing Doom (besides the very first days) i play it on ultra violence and i cant remember that i had any issues because it was to difficult (talking about Doom 1 & 2 not Plutonia etc.). A few weeks ago i tried Doom 1 on HMP and it was downright boring compared to UV. And i also cant remember that i had any issues with running out of ammo, even on UV. Some also say that the old Doom games are so well disigned and every enemie encounter is some kind of puzzle and must be handled so strategicaly (compared to the new Doom). My "strategy" is simple shoot and strafe and it worked for everything. The bosses got handled the same.

To be honest, at least regarding the fights and difficulty, i cant see that much of a difference. Sure, in the old games it will increase the number of enemies. I dont want to demolish Doom 1 & 2. I constantly comming back to them since years. But sometimes it sounds like they where miracles and the new Doom is just dump shit. For me it is as close as it can get to Doom.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

DooM_RO said:

I think you get too much ammo on UV. It should be like on Nightmare.

I found plenty ammo but the ammo carrying capacity is so low that I clean myself out in just about every large encounter and forget where the items are. I wasted my first upgrade on armor because I didn't realize it extends your max. I just wanted to be more resilient.

I've started on Ultra-Violence from the get-go.
They do creep up on you quite well.
I had a couple times where they teleport in at a designated spawn point and they stood there like an idiot. Once with an imp and another with a UAC gunmen.
I have been taken by surprise a few times right as you pop out of a glory kill.
Not sure if the enemies are harder to stun but I've had occasions where I could've really used the fruits of a fleshy kinder surprise only to end up empty handed.

It gets really tense when have like 5 health and landing that perfect stun with your last shotgun shell will determine if you survive off the pinata, or get consumed by the horde.

I was particularly impressed by imps hanging from pillars, changing their position as they charged up a fireball, eyeballing me the whole time. Wow!

Glad your enjoying it man, Ill admit the games a real challenge the first time around on UV, going back into the stages a second time is great to collect all the secrets and really explore everything.

it's because you guys are used to the Older Dooms, and playing on consoles. When I was playing on hmp on xbox felt like uv on pc, I died when I wasn't paying attention. Nightmare is good fun.

I'm not upgrading any weapons or suit or anything on UV. Now that's fun. Really makes me sweat it out and make my shots count. Anyone else try that yet? Really makes the game fun for me!

While the Ultra Violence was just walk in the park, imps and zombiemen on the Nightmare ripped my guts in the very first level. Now the Nightmare is one and only difficult in Doom 4 for me, just like the UV in classic doom series.