Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

what are your thoughts on the Demons of DooM '16?

I also think it's awesome how the Imps tend to climb up struts etc. and then begin to launch fireballs from up there. And how damn mobile everything is, even the Mancubus.

tuo said:

I also think it's awesome how the Imps tend to climb up struts etc. and then begin to launch fireballs from up there. And how damn mobile everything is, even the Mancubus.

Yes! I totally forgot to mention their mobility. I love how they made the levels and monster traversal systems work so well together! There is no place where you can go where the monsters can't reach you. They will always follow you. Absolutely fantastic, totally agree with you :)

Yeah, the monsters are much more willing to come after you, I was actually on edge when I saw the manc leap up to the player from lower ground. I have a strong feeling we're going to get sone highly memorable firefights. Also, it seems we've seen several examples now of a half dozen or so monsters in the same area, maybe more, which is great.

tuo said:

One just has to love the UAC. From the GameStop footage:

http://i.imgur.com/gbqTDOl.png

"Look, we found a big ass demon...what should we do with it? ADD WEAPONS AND STUFF!"

haha well, would you look at that, the cyberdemon is actually probably ripped as fuck and probably light skinned under all that volcanic rock shit he's wearing.

here's to hoping it comes off procedurally when you fight him because it's kinda shit to look at.

HellVain said:

I think they did a good job on differentiating the AI and the roles of the demons. The designs are amazing, new and old. The voices or sounds that those demons make soumd awesome.
Here are my initial thoughts on them

>the possesed are pretty much regular zombies except for the unwilling who seem to have larger health than the possesed.
>the possesed soldiers look amd feel like strogg, I mean I dig the "binded into thier armor" thing but at least let them hold thier guns. Actually, it might be better that these possesed soldiers move around and when they lose thier weapon when you unarm th with a pistol or a machinegun, the either rush at you and mellee you or grab another weapon nearby amd shoot at you.
>Imps are amazing, they are now more agile and mobile than ever, they climb, jump, and sprint to wherever they prefer as some imps prefer to keep thier distance and others prefer face to face.
>pinkies are tough, they are no longer those maulers from classic games, they are somewhat like bulls mixed with sharks, they charge at you then bite you continously. They made him tougher to kill him by giving him an armor plated front so it might take some getting used to.
>Revenants now are deadlier than previous incarnations because they made him into one hell of a rocket blasting quick paced death machine.
>Hellknights are berserkers, they are fast and always ready to rip and tear you after they beat ypu to a red mush. I love how they distinguished the Baron and him since he no longer has a fireball attack.
>Barons are terrifying. Nuff said.
>Mancubi havent really changed much since the main games, still a slow, rapid firing blubbery walking tank.
>Cacodemons are now faster but still retain that classic feel
> The lost souls are kind of interesting since they have a docile mode and agressive mode.
>Hellraizers are hell's version of possesed soldiers with lasers, thats it.

As for others I havent seen them yet in action.

Possessed Humans- I'd have preferred a more traditional take on them ala Doom & Doom II but they are fun enough to kill.
Imps- Don't much care for the look of them but they're fun to fight.
Pinkies- I like how they changed the Pinkies, they provide a whole different kind of challenge, especially when grouped with other demons.
Revenants- They're definitely more mobile than in the originals, but I wouldn't say they're more deadly. Love the look of them though.
Cacodemons- Love the update to these guys. They look less like Beholders from D&D now, so that's a good thing, and they fire alot faster now, another good thing.
Hellknights- Tough and in your face. Fun enemy to unload the double barrel shotgun into.
Mancubus- Nice update on the classic design.
Barons- Nothing gets my BFG out faster than multiples of these guys.

Overall, they did a good job. Would have loved the possessed soldiers to have a more human zombie look than that of a melted action figure, but they aren't bad.

Phobos Anomaly said:

When I saw this:

It made me think of this:I hope someone knows what those are, they are from a very stupid made-for-tv movie that is nonetheless one of my favorites.

Good sir, Doom marine is neither late to Boston and he is no longer laying down on the job :)

Monsters almost looks awesome or ok, besides Pinky and Cacodemon, because their design a little bit cartoonish, Cybermoose too.

NoisM said:

Monsters almost looks awesome or ok, besides Pinky and Cacodemon, because their design a little bit cartoonish, Cybermoose too.

Which is why I like them, remember the designs from the first games? I don't think you could describe them as anything less than cartoonish. I'm sick of gritty realness and shit in games, some ludicrous cartoony designs are what we need in games more now than ever.

Wouldn't agree with that Phobos Anomaly. For their time, the Doom monsters were very gritty and realistic. When the game first came out, the reaction was "Oh my God, look how good this looks. Two decades later? Yeah, it doesn't look so hot anymore, but for it's time it was an amazing leap, and very vivid.

Most of the redesigns in Doom 16 are pretty good. I'm not a fan of the Cyberdemon at all though. It feels more at home in something like Warcraft or Diablo. The Mancubus is also not so great, but I can deal with that one, the Cyberdemon just... Yech. The original cybie was just so damn iconic and cool looking, it's hard to see why, yet again, they had to mess with something that just plain worked.

OpenMaw said:

Wouldn't agree with that Phobos Anomaly. For their time, the Doom monsters were very gritty and realistic. When the game first came out, the reaction was "Oh my God, look how good this looks. Two decades later? Yeah, it doesn't look so hot anymore, but for it's time it was an amazing leap, and very vivid.

I know it was amazing when it first came out, but there was no real attempt at "realism" in the designs, they used a very vivid color palette, and they didn't have to. They knew what they were making was ridiculous and over-the-top, and the monster designs reflected that.

I like the way they fight, but the looks are not so good imo. Doom 3 has far better monster designs. Except revenant, the new one is just too cute.

I agree with those who say the new pinky is a bit on the cartoonish side but it's more because of its proportions than its color scheme. It feels like the jaw should be larger and more pitbull-like and the tail just looks weird.

Also did not like the

Spoiler

Hell Guardian bosses in the Necropolis. The worm thing that powered them was cool but the exterior shells looked really generic.

Spoiler

the Spider Mastermind

was perfect to me as were the Baron and Summoner/ArchVile

You probably didn't have to spoil tag the second thing you said, it was a boss in Classic Doom so it's not a big surprise, especially with the reveal trailer.

MetroidJunkie said:

You probably didn't have to spoil tag the second thing you said, it was a boss in Classic Doom so it's not a big surprise, especially with the reveal trailer.

New here so not taking any chances.

In the codex it says that pinkies are considered a game animal in hell. I wonder if they eat them like lobster...

I think all of the new Demon designs are awesome this time through, they're over the top and fairly colorful with clear inspirations from the original games, I do have some nit picks on each demon but I'm super pleased with how each demon looks.

Although I think the art is well done and respect the artists who created them, I hate the art design for Doom 3, if it weren't labeled Doom I think it'd be great, but I feel it's far too influenced by anime and doesn't fit the style or absurdity of Doom.

Something that stuck in my mind during the Gameinformer article about the Summoner.

The most menacing foe I encounter is a Summoner. Standing in at roughly human height, this robed being creates portals that bring additional troops to the fray.

Robed?!! I assume they had mistaken their wings for rags of cloth? Or do you think the design had changed during production?

Source
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/01/15/doom-a-new-vision-of-hell.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

I do wish the Summoners had a proper intro into the campaign (as suggested in the trailer), like the Imps, Mancubus and Pinky, instead of just appearing.

You know, as goofy as the Cyberdemon's face looks, he has grown on me. Also, I may be alone here, but I'm also glad that they made him easier than the Mastermind. The Mastermind has always gotten flak for not being as cool and strong like the Cyberdemon, but now it's finally it's time to shine.

The Spider Mastermind.

Let me tell you the amount of "WHAT THE FUCK" was on my face when It was first revealed.

Hell Knight and Baron of Hell = awesome

Revenant, Cacodemon and LS = good

Spider Mastermind = not bad

Cyber Demon = don't like it

the rest = ok

As much as i was concerned about the demons before, i can tell i like them all besides one. The Hell Guards looking so out of the place. Seeing them without knowing they are an enemie in Doom i would never came close to the idea i could see them in this game. This thing, and the whole fight also, is so much like Metroid Prime. It dont fit in this game for me.

Thats maybe my only real complain about this game.

Doom 3 demons shit on this games versions from a towering height. The demons of Doom 3 looked horrific, and genuinely fucked up and frightening. There was nothing comical about their designs and that's how I prefer it. I realize Doom '16 is trying to essentially take the old designs from the 90's and put them in 2016 but it doesn't work. In 1994 those demons were scary. They weren't three dimensional and they were pretty fucked up looking as nothing else like them had been around until that point in time. But 3D renderings of the same demons in 2016 doesn't translate without coming off cartoonish. I respect Doom 3 for making the demons truly frightening. The only demon that doesn't look silly in any way is the Summoner. Also, Doom 3's Spider Mastermind concept was much more threatening looking than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle crab brain we got this time.

Most doom 3 monster suck in conparrison to the new ones. They were scary because the player is constantly treated to jumpscares and pitchblack corridors.

The imp looked stupid, It looked like a monkey with several dozen eyes.
The pinky looked like a mix between a dog and an uncut penis
The magot is just laughable.
Trites and ticks are okay an so is the vagary
Cacodemons look like floating lizard heads
Revenants, what is up with that jell like outline? Thats nothing compared to the new one.
Mancubus are okay as well, I preffered they kept it.
Hell knights are okay as well but it borrows too much from shamblers
cherubs are creepy and annoying at the same time
Lost souls look downright horrible and lack imagination
Vulgars are awesome but is basically a crouching imp
The archvile also looks stupid
The cyberdemon, don't get me started on this, but overall it looks okay.

The thing in the mew game is that they kept the essence of the monsters and somehow translated them quite nicely to the new era.

Out of the demons, only two seem off to me (Mancubus, Cyberdemon). I've pretty much gotten used to the Cyberdemon's look (I like the horns), though the carapace like skin or whatever that is on it still bugs me.

Outside of the regular Mancubus looking rather heavily cyber like in a way, I'd say the way it's head looks bugs me the most. Looks sort of like a baby Cacodemon controlling a biomechanical suit.