Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Favourite Doom sound?

Well played Sir, well played.

Now I wonder how the game would feel if they indeed had one...

eargosedown said:

The Baron's sight noise is extremely terrifying. Probably my favourite sound in any video game!

Same for me !

Caco's death is the most funny sound, IMHO.

SSG reload sound and Baron of Hell's welcome roar.

The combined growl and shot of a Demon dying to SSG.

Baron/Hell Knight site sound... trumpets of hell

Doomguy's critical death sound, so funny and intriguing at the same time.
Also a long chain of exploding barrels and gibbing enemies, you feel a true accomplishment.

Mine is the arch-vile chuckling merrily away to himself when he's on the prowl, like some demonic leprechaun up to mischief. Bonus points if you get to hear him (or them) do this for quite a while before the inevitable meeting actually takes place.

2nd place would probably be the Baron's booming warcry upon being alerted, especially if it comes out in the lower pitch range. Ah, for the halcyon days of yore, when that sound could still invoke a sense of dread...

also for some reason, the sound of punching a cacodemon was ultra satisfying...even tho the sound is the same for all monsters. maybe its because they are like big punching bags!

The simultaneously played super shotgun firing sound and arachnotron dying sound.

LittleBurger said:

The sound of finding a secret.

There is no such sound.

fraggle said:

There is no such sound.

Do you really think that everyone understands you right?

Mancubus Wake up sound, when your right next to it like on the first city map it's so alarming lol. WRAAWRAR!!! Honestly now that I think about it Doom has some amazing sound design. There are so many that are so great.

I actually really dislike most of the archvile's sounds, which I think was something I developed from Map 19 of Going Down.

I came back here to post that I also loved the arachantron death sound only to discover that I am apparently not alone.

I also love the chaingunner attack sound...so damn buff. It fits their attack animation perfectly. I have that as my alarm sound on my phone. Wakes my ass up really quick.

The active sound of the aracnotrons is really awesome too.

Not to mention, the "stomp" sound of the cyberdemon (when he walks arround). I just love that metal sound.

dobu gabu maru said:

Arachnatron's death sound is unequivocally one of the best audio clips I've ever heard. It's strong, satisfying, and memorable.

Pretty much this.

What the heck, sure.

I like Doomguy's scream, the one where its like "WHAAAA!" Its hilarious.

And the alert sound of the Baron's and Cyberdemon's. They're both warcries!

I like all the Archnotron sounds. Its got so much oomph.

When testing Mocha Doom's sound system, at first I didn't realize that Doom also had 22 kHz sounds, and I played everything back at 11 kHz. This made the SSG sound BADASS, especially the reloading sound, and somehow it didn't feel out of sync with the animation, quite the opposite.

I always found the mancubus death to be very funny. Back then, I used to set Win95/Win98's shutdown sound to it because that was a thing I found hilarious.

Also setting the Win startup sound to the Icon of Sin's backward Romero speech.

Guest Unregistered account
Gez said:

I always found the mancubus death to be very funny. Back then, I used to set Win95/Win98's shutdown sound to it because that was a thing I found hilarious.

Also setting the Win startup sound to the Icon of Sin's backward Romero speech.

Be right back, I need to do this to satisfy my juvenile sense of humour.

Demon of the Well said:

Mine is the arch-vile chuckling merrily away to himself when he's on the prowl, like some demonic leprechaun up to mischief. Bonus points if you get to hear him (or them) do this for quite a while before the inevitable meeting actually takes place.

Yeah, I always loved levels that use sounds as a source of dread.
Plutonia II, Level 11: Archviolent.

Even though everyone hates that map.

fraggle said:

There is no such sound.

I believe they meant the ZDoom "A SECRET IS REVEALED!" sound.

fraggle said:

There is no such sound.

Sorry fraggle, most Doom players think that a sound and notification upon finding a secret is standard behavior. Your war is lost~~~

It is a good sound effect, though. Does anyone know where it came from or the first source port to add it?