Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Your opinion about the soundtrack of new Doom?

Mick Gordon composed lots of fine soundtracks for video games, such as Killer Instinct and Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood. Honestly I've never played Killer Instinct, but I did like the soundtracks of it from his Youtube channel. Not to mention that what he did for new Wolfenstein series was just awesome, and I enjoyed every single music during my gameplay of TNO & TOB. And he's the one who composed the soundtrack of Doom 2016. I must say that Mick Gordon did a right job once again for the new Doom. It's an awesome soundtrack with industrial metal, reminding me Nine Inch Nails somehow. (I don't know much about the genre of music, so correct me if I'm wrong.) So what's your opinion about the soundtrack of new Doom?

P.S.: My favorite soundtracks are "Flesh & Metal" and "BFG Division"

so far i like it, a nice mix but also a bit too cinematic industrial in it, i wanted to have some tracks which are 4 minutes pure metal and not only small sections with dubsteplike beats and riffs.

It's what I would expect from Gordon.

Brutal, heart thumping, electronic, industrial magic.

Probably one of his best imo.

Metal as fuck.

I love it. \m/

Really great to listen to while playing any game really...

:3

Especially Classic Doom! =D

Mick Gordon = Modern day Bobby Prince.

Mick Gordon is solid, only track that's really stood out to me is BFG Division so far though.

A mishmash of loud, distorted noises that just makes me want to turn off the music altogether. This is supposed to be a Doom game: either give me catchy metal tunes or a dark, gloomy ambient score.

I feel Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA album or even Bobby Prince's Wrack soundtrack would have been more appropriate than Mick Gordon's generic tracks.

I really like it. Favourite track is "Argent Combat". Sure there aren't that many iconic riffs in it but I could imagine listening to some of the tracks outside of the game. If there will be an official soundtrack released I'm definitly going to buy it.

BFG Division is fuckin fantastic. I'm also fond of the menu theme.

Overall it's very Quake-esq. Biggest difference I can think of is that Quake's guitars sounded far more buzzsaw-like, and Mick tends to go more for raw bass.

I nodded my head a lot. When I first heard a snippet of Rip & Tear I assumed the whole soundtrack would be too loud and overpowering, but it's actually pretty fucking perfect.

I'm not that crazy about it. It's suitable I suppose, but doesn't have much character. Not something I'll be thinking of looking back on the game in a few years time.

Quake-esque? Maybe Quake 2, definitely not Reznor's soundtrack.

The aggressive industrial/metal/dubstep sections during battles is perfect. Really gets the adrenaline flowing. I'm really not into djent, but Gordon's application of it here is appropriate. I also like the more cinematic segments when you're just walking around exploring. However, I keep yearning for disturbing dark ambient music, because I think that's a great accompaniment to a firefight. I accept fully that Doom '16's atmosphere isn't like that, but I think it could have worked.

So far the only two songs i like are the battle themes during the Hell Levels and the Vega Level. All others I can't pinpoint.

It's quite hard finding the OST on youtube so i can listen to them more clearly. Anyone got some links to such vids?

Good for this reboot. Mediocre if compared to the old videogame Heavy Metal soundtracks as a whole (Killer Instinct 1994, Painkiller.. cmon guys!)

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I feel Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA album or even Bobby Prince's Wrack soundtrack would have been more appropriate than Mick Gordon's generic tracks.

It's funny, but Andrew Hulshult sounds much more generic to me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Honestly didn't care for it at all. All of the tracks sounded very similar and didn't stand out to me, but that could've been because I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to it (considering it always came on when I was in the middle of a firefight with relentless demons).
For the most part the soundtrack sounds similar to that of Quake 2's, except more distorted and repetitive. I also wish there was more variation in the overall music, maybe some horror ambience and melodic themes here and there and not all metal.
I'm still hoping someone follows the route of the Emperor: Battle For Dune Harkonnen soundtrack, as I feel like it captures Doom's bad-assery except with even more emotion.

For the most part I didnt like it, just sounds like a bunch of loud noise. Old doom music has rocking themes, alow themes, and ambient dark themes. This is just unorganized noise.

BFG Division is definitely the number one song for me.

I also have a soft spot for the Olivier Pierce track with the Doom suspense contribution.

I heard the so named "BFG Division" track, I just don't know how this is enjoyable to some, but well, it's a matter of taste I guess.

Maybe the music works well in the game, but as music pieces I find them quite awful and effortlessly made.

I keep reading the word "metal" here and there, I don't know what metal is anymore. To me this is nothing, just a noisy struggle to become a tune or something but never reaching anything.

It's not the holy grail of catchy awesomeness, but the tracks worked in-game and it was above-average compared to most videogame scores these days. Except for the first Hell track -- holy shit this one is good.

Arl said:

I keep reading the word "metal" here and there, I don't know what metal is anymore. To me this is nothing, just a noisy struggle to become a tune or something but never reaching anything.

Key thing to note is that this is industrial metal, and industrial is known for its atonal, "anti-music" nature. So of course, it's a given.

I think mick did a pretty good job. I would still say that his killer instinct soundtrack is a lot better but doom has a really good use of mixing guitar riffs and electronic music.

Also my favorite track is rip and tear

Caine said:

dubstep

Why do I seriously feel like that word is thrown up there way too easily nowadays?

MFG38 said:

Why do I seriously feel like that word is thrown up there way too easily nowadays?

Indeed. It belongs with "hipster", and a certain insult we're forbidden from using on Doomworld.

Great soundtrack! One of the mine favorite, for sure. Vivat Mick Gordon!

Great soundtrack! One of the mine favorite, for sure. Vivat Mick Gordon!