Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kuchitsu

Bullets go through a self-referencing sector?

uhh
Is it normal behavior that rockets don't go through my self-referencing sector but bullets do?
I don't remember. Is there a way to block both?

http://i.imgur.com/A7oUDMS.png

Maybe I can use a non-textured normal sector to block this. But maybe pullet puffs and rocket explosions will be invisible if they are behind a middle texture.

Self-referencing sectors let bullets pass through them in vanilla, but not in ports like ZDoom. I'm not sure if PrBoom-plus has a compatibility option for that or not. Anyway, you can use a normal non-textured sector with the middle texture actually put onto the non-textured linedef (that is, the linedef will have no upper and no lower texture, making the sector "invisible", but it will have a middle texture, with y offset to an appropriate height, making the texture itself appear wherever you want).

scifista42 said:

Anyway, you can use a normal non-textured sector with the middle texture actually put onto the non-textured linedef (that is, the linedef will have no upper and no lower texture, making the sector "invisible", but it will have a middle texture, with y offset to an appropriate height, making the texture itself appear wherever you want).

Is there an example of that?

I made a quick one. Also demonstrates different light levels above and below the structure.

http://www.filedropper.com/middle

EDIT: Now I have noticed, I made the ceiling too low, so that if you use freelook to shoot below the wall, it would block bullets. Of course, you may make the ceiling a bit higher (as long as it stays below the player's view height), so that it would be possible to shoot below. Or you could base it on a raised floor instead of lowered ceiling - raised floor would have the benefit that if the player died in the water, he won't see a HOM as his view lowers to the ground level, and also, flying monsters would fly above/over the structure, but on the other hand, the player would see a HOM if his view ever got above the fake floor's level.

Find the correct y offset via calculation and/or trial and error, then manually write it as a number in the linedef properties window. ;)

EDIT: If the player can view it from below, use a fake raised floor as I said.

Cool, this example also seems better in that if you absolutely can't avoid the HOM effect, it is a lot smaller (so maybe forgivable).

Now the only question left is how compatible this is with other ports, OpenGL, etc.

Final example: HOM-free both when looking from above and from below, but nothing can physically pass either above or below the middle structure.

The "new" thing demonstrated here is how the fake floor can be above the ceiling, arbitrarily high, possibly above any height level accessible by the player in the map.

http://www.filedropper.com/middle3

Also, all of these tricks seem to be GL friendly.