Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduXYZ

You play DOOM with high brightness?

This not make any sense! End with all athmosphere of the game and make it looks horrible.

I've seen screenshots of people playing with full gamma..and holy fuck does it look bad. Why do people even bother? ...and don't go down the "to see people in zdaemon better" route because...come on you don't find 0 brightness in fucking MP maps (most of the time :V)

I always play on standard brightness level, which is always ok to me - not too dark, not too bright. The exception here is PrBoom+, which for some reason has too high contrast, which i don't like, but i still play on standard brightness anyway..

And btw, there's usually no reason to increase brightness level at all - if the game seems too dark, then increase your screen brightness (it does better job), or reduce lights in your room.

I like to play with low brightness and 640x480 resolution with ZDoom. Gives the game a dark and filthy feel. Perhaps that is why I see Doom as less cartoony than others who play with max brightness and super bright colors.

Um no I'm pretty sure most people here don't. I remember thread on this before was flooded with people saying they use gamma level 0 and that your monitor was shit if you used gamma (which made me self-conscious enough to turn it down, WOOLIE).

I've seen some people posting screenshots and videos with crazy high brightness and man does it look awful. I sometime mess around with the gamma depending on the time of day I'm playing and how dark the level is but usually try to keep it at default.

Out of the four gamma correction options, mine is almost always at 1, or even 2 on an extra bright day. I can't stand playing in a dark room though, if it's daytime I let the sun shine in and the best way to Doom in that situation is with a little extra screen brightness. Gamma correction is and always has been a great option, just do us all a favor and turn it off before taking screenshots.

nxGangrel said:

Hell no! I play on low brightness. Like it was Doom 3 without a flash light 5% of the time.

Doom 3 is so dark you can't see things coming towards you most of the times lol.

Batelli_1605 said:

Doom 3 is so dark you can't see things coming towards you most of the times lol.

That's the intention

I like the sensation of any moment gonna jump a monster in my face.

EduXYZ said:

That's the intention

I like the sensation of any moment gonna jump a monster in my face.

Yup, you gotta love Doom 3, it has great action mixed with great horror and jumpscares.

I use full gamma when I'm not streaming or mapping or taking a screenshot.
Because Doom turns cheerful and garish, and I love it.
I do cut down on the gamma halfway through, when I am.

I have no trouble with the game being dark, infact I play PSX Doom TC with the software mode which makes it even darker.

I really don't like wads that fail to use lighting well, feels like lighting is one of the few things I am critical of. Fullbright levels are just....bad

The same reason people back in the day turned down all of the graphics settings in Quake III to get a constant 60FPS. To these people, winning is everything, even if it comes at the expense of everything else. To each their own, I suppose.

The main problem IMO is that the black is not really black, at higher gamma, and that skews the entire perception. The 256-color palette is already marginal as it is, and pumping it up with gamma makes it lose a lot color saturation and contrast, especially dark colors. Ofc you want stuff to be brighter sometimes, but often the effect is just like putting a grey veil over everything.

Interestingly, the original doom.exes have a bunch of precalculated gamma tables, which are however not targetable with PWADs, but DEHACKED might be able to do it, with a proper extension.