Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMPhobos

The most unusual wads

What it's the most unusual wad you've ever did/seen?
By unusual i mean something that makes Doom a completly different game on it's own, or something that's not a game at all.

I'll start with a couple of wads i did

Zombie apocalypse simulation
This is something that's not really playable!, i tried to simulate a zombie apocalypse using zdoom, i tried my best to introduce some elements such as cops, military, panic, etc. This wad kept crashing my computer

F-Zero Doom
I tried to recreate F-Zero using GZDoom... i failed miserably lol

Got any other examples? im really curious to see how much the comunity has pushed Doom to create something entirely different

The most unusual wad I've seen must've been that Donkey Kong mod for GzDoom.

It's not fun to play but it's a pretty interesting experiment.

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

That F-Zero one looks really cool, will you ever put more work into it?

It was quite broken, and i just kept strugglin with a lot of limitations. Eventualy i just gave up

@MrSkeltal
Even in that form, that's quite an impressive feat! i can't imagine the amount of code for that. Quite impresive indeed!

@Jaxxoon R
Wow... just wow... reminds me a lot of LSD: Dream simulator for the PSX. Surreal stuff

Foreverhood, though it's more of a total conversion rather than a WAD.
https://iamsparky.wordpress.com/foreverhood/

And since it wasn't mentioned yet... The Sky May Be.
If you can find it, there's another work by the same developer, VSB-doom 0.2.

If you do find that last one, could you please share a link? I wasn't able to find any, and it was quite pleasant to fling imps around..

Virgil the doom poet's black and white was pretty odd. Can't even find it anymore.

The Darkening 2 has the most unusual music IMO. It's extravagant, cool, beautiful, badass, funny (WTF that Christmasy thing at the end of Map03 :D), everything. I'm a big fan.

scifista42 said:

Mostly anything by Aluqah is very unusual (though not to the extent of some of what has been shared here). Quite happy this one got noticed because years ago if Gusta didn't point me to his work I would have never known what I was missing.

Lizardcommando said:

Aww, I wish I could have seen that map. Did you use any new textures with it?

Oh hi :) and no you don't I was in middle school or early high school and I had no idea there was a big community so I used to map for myself and it was pretty bad. I remember that you started in a sewer and you could see two of the uzi guys in a room at a table and you could shoot them there or find a way out of the sewer, then there was an armory and a cafeteria haha. It was weird, it might be on my old computer if I ever turn it back on I'll look for it

EDIT: I think it was back when I was using the original Doom Builder because I didn't know there was a second

@DMGUYDZ64
Action Doom 2 was great, it was the most unexpected surprise when it came out

@takensorryuser
Very impressive how accurate it looks to the actual nazi zombies

@scifista42
I've just played just a few levels of the Mandrill Ass Project, gameplay wise it's quite traditional

Check out anything by Bob Reganess, an author from the Compuserv era of Doom Wadestry. His music, graphics, and mapping style are bizarre and may be pretty hit and miss. But they're a hit for me. I love his stuff.