Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vita

Final Doom — TNT: Evilution UV Speed (TAS) in 22:59

It took 9 days. Probably 22:52 is possible (19 on MAP01, 25 or even 24 on MAP02, 29 on MAP07, 58 on 14), but my goal was sub-23.

=            MAP            =   TIME  =
= 01:  System Control       = 0:20.91 =
= 02: Human BBQ             = 0:28.91 =
= 03: Power Control         = 0:34.80 =
= 04: Wormhole              = 0:08.66 =
= 05: Hanger                = 0:22.97 =
= 06: Open Season           = 1:35.51 =
= 07: Prison                = 0:30.49 =
= 08: Metal                 = 1:24.74 =
= 09: Stronghold            = 1:07.94 =
= 10: Redemption            = 0:40.60 =
=      Total episode 1      =   7:08  =
= 11: Storage Facility      = 0:15.63 =
= 12: Crater                = 0:36.94 =
= 13: Nukage Processing     = 0:49.74 =
= 14: Steel Works           = 0:59.40 =
= 15: Dead Zone             = 0:13.86 =
= 31: Pharaoh               = skipped =
= 32: Caribbean             = skipped =
= 16: Deepest Reaches       = 1:03.97 =
= 17: Processing Area       = 0:03.46 =
= 18: Mill                  = 0:52.71 =
= 19: Shipping/Respawning   = 0:37.80 =
= 20: Central Processing    = 1:36.57 =
=      Total episode 2      =   7:03  =
= 21: Administration Center = 1:39.97 =
= 22: Habitat               = 0:17.91 =
= 23: Lunar Mining Project  = 0:19.49 =
= 24: Quarry                = 0:14.66 =
= 25: Baron's Den           = 0:07.51 =
= 26: Ballistyx             = 1:24.97 =
= 27: Mount Pain            = 1:27.60 =
= 28: Heck                  = 0:59.66 =
= 29: River Styx            = 1:03.94 =
= 30: Last Call             = 1:19.60 =
=      Total episode 3      =   8:48  =
=        Total time         =  22:59  =
=======================================

30evx2259.zip

Looks like i'm off the hook. Well, good job. 2secs loss on m09 surprised me though.

Akse said:

2secs loss on m09 surprised me though.

The first part is a few ticks faster, but the rest is slower, because I lost a lot of health on MAP08 and this, and because of slow weapon switching and SSG reloading.

Great job with this demo, ViTa! TNT is my favorite iWad so watching this thing was entertaining :)

Would love to see how fast you'd get a max run on this thing.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Affirmative, lol.
P.S: there is still a hope

Don't acting like a MD922 which is promising a lot and making Zone300 already over year.
UV-MAX D2ALL is probably the most hardcore achievement. I know it very well after making that for Doom 2 where i spent whole 2 weeks without any resting. Do not even hope for that =D

Azuruish said:

Don't acting like a MD922 which is promising a lot and making Zone300 already over year.
UV-MAX D2ALL is probably the most hardcore achievement. I know it very well after making that for Doom 2 where i spent whole 2 weeks without any resting. Do not even hope for that =D

Thanks. I have my own life and things to do.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Affirmative, lol.

Good luck man! I'll be keeping my eyes open for it.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Affirmative, lol.

I'm really excited for this too if you get around to it, the wip was really nice :)

It's been a while, but I remember discovering a rocket jump on map21 which should be quite a bit faster than the one you used at the end. Other than that I found that this was a very entertaining demo, so good job!

xit-vono said:

rocket jump on map21 which should be quite a bit faster than the one you used at the end

Yes, rocket jump from sector 234 can save some time, but I missed it. I'll probably rebuild the entire demo because of this and other tricks (don't know when).

Really nice run and finally a good TAS for this WAD. One other thing I noticed is that when you picked up Invulnerabilities you seemed to have plenty of Rockets spare for boosting your speed with them by hitting nearby walls? It was only on a couple of maps I think, but every second counts!

Still though, this was a very enjoyable run to watch!

Hi!

Good news: Very nice TAS!
Possible bad(/good?) news: Sitting here, playing through Evilution using gzdoom..

Spoiler

.. found a nasty skip in Central Processing! After using the teleporter in the office, enter the secret box, exit it and, using the lift (also secret) behind the mancubus, as it goes up, strafe-run (or rocket yourself) over the lamp and into the teleporter to the huge area past all keys! I tried it with invulnerability, jumping onto the teleporting platform and clipping where you used the arch-vile, getting 1:05.

Does this even work in the DOS versions for official records? Is it known or did I actually find an improvement?

Sorry if I messed things up, but this might allow you to run it even quicker. ;)

Good luck!

Lambda said:

...over the lamp...

All things have infinite height in vanilla doom, so you can't go over them.

Well, I set "actors" to be infinitely tall and it still worked. I know what you mean, but then powerups are not picked up (I think) if one "jumps" over them in vanilla.. so "things" are not everything. Also, one might be able to get around the lamp if the platform sticks out too far.. I don't really have original game running to test it. So take a look for yourself if it sounds interesting.

This works! Looks a bit too difficult for non-TAS. At least I hope it's too difficult, I don't want to do my UV-Speed all over again :D

Awesome find!

(of course you can't go over the lamp, but you can go around it)

Edit: I believe the rocket gives you a different boost in (g)zdoom, not entirely sure about it, but I'd assume it was much easier to do in gzdoom. While I have barely looked at it, it looks very difficult, if even possible, to do non-TAS. There is also apparently a single rocket launcher on the map, but it's far out of the way so it would be pointless for an IL run.

Also a second idea to the TAS, I know you can skip the linedef at the start of map 14 with a rocket boost, so the crushers aren't activated. Not sure how it works out with the crusher past the blue key barrier though, but since you run over those in the west direction you might be able to skip those too.

oh and iirc you doubted map 26 skip was possible even with turbo, it is, though doesn't matter as without turbo it's probably not.

I wonder if the jump could be done pushing against a monster for a speed-up (or possibly using 2 monsters with appropriate distance between them) from the top of the lift in a TAS IL.

This is indeed a great find.

Lambda said:

After using the teleporter in the office, enter the secret box, exit it and, using the lift (also secret) behind the mancubus, as it goes up, strafe-run (or rocket yourself) over the lamp and into the teleporter to the huge area past all keys! I tried it with invulnerability, jumping onto the teleporting platform and clipping where you used the arch-vile, getting 1:05.

Hmm, distance to the teleport is 336 map units. I tried to do it with -turbo 255 and rocket boost and without thing 393, but it seems impossible (or very difficult).

degree23 said:

One other thing I noticed is that when you picked up Invulnerabilities you seemed to have plenty of Rockets spare for boosting your speed with them by hitting nearby walls? It was only on a couple of maps I think, but every second counts!

I know, but I didn't miss it in my (probably) upcoming improvement.

ZeroMaster010 said:

Also a second idea to the TAS, I know you can skip the linedef at the start of map 14 with a rocket boost, so the crushers aren't activated. Not sure how it works out with the crusher past the blue key barrier though, but since you run over those in the west direction you might be able to skip those too.

Didn't tried (probably it's useless, because I need some health for MAP18 rocket jump), but I skipped 8 linedefs (301, 367, 368, 374, 371, 377, 383 and 380) in a row on this map.

Well, the lamp/"thing" in my game has limited height and so I strafe-ran from the lift while it was on its way up, landing on the lamp and gaining more speed without rockets at all.

Of course, if you're going to jump past the lamp, you'll need a LOT more speed which may not be enough from a rocket boost. :( Too bad there isn't a grenade launcher.. an explosion from ground level would've been nice.

Another idea would be to rocket-jump off the imp while its platform is lowering.. barely run onto the platform, aim for the imp, blast and strafe-run towards the teleporter. I'm thinking that the step up would provide an upwards momentum that would be kept for long enough to reach the teleporter.. or not.. I don't know. :p I'm thinking that in a TAS, you probably slow down the speed to aim perfectly to succeed at such a feat.

ZeroMaster010 said:

Skipsec -1430 or around TIC 51000, I used 30ev3957 and XDRE after the teleporter until I got the skip.

Thanks, I saved almost 41 seconds with this trick.

Welp, holy hell, I decided to take a second look at map 26 for you.

-skipsec 1915 or about TIC 67777, again 30ev3957 and XDRE. I guess I can claim credit for discovering this trick? :D

I don't see myself doing this one either outside of TAS, so no need for me to do 30ev again :)

edit: I used turbo to reach the window, but that should be the easy part and hopefully it's doable with a rocket boost at least. edit2: ok good, it does work with a rocket boost, so you might need 2 of them (that is a lot of health)

tnt26skip.zip

ZeroMaster010 said:

Welp, holy hell, I decided to take a second look at map 26 for you.

I guess I can claim credit for discovering this trick? :D

Wow, with this trick I can save huge time again.

Yes, you can.