Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Let's count Quake influences

1) Pistol is Quake 2 blaster
2) Gauss gun is Railgun
3) Possessed soldiers look like stroggs. Also shield enemies.
4) Mars outside looks like Stroggos
5) Industrial metal music
6) Quad damage
7) Hell knights fill the same role as Quake 2 Berserkers.

Almonds said:

*Quake 4's blaster.

Quake 4 doesn't count. It is a Raven's fanfic, not a real Quake game.

Orchid87 said:

not a real Quake game.

The game is called Quake 4. It was by Raven under the supervision of id Software. Just because the primary developer is different doesn't change the fact that it's not only a Quake game, but a "real" Quake game at that.

Dragonfly said:

The game is called Quake 4. It was by Raven under the supervision of id Software. Just because the primary developer is different doesn't change the fact that it's not only a Quake game, but a "real" Quake game at that.

It is crap though. It is a (mostly) squad based military nonsence that failed to recapture the opressive world of Quake 2. It's as crappy as Raven's Wolfenstein. Even New Order dev said that Wolfie 2009 sucks. I can't say enough how I hate Raven for their attempts to ruin my favorite games legacies.

Quake 4 is not a real Quake game, not because of who developed it, but because it's a sequel instead of just being a completely different game in a completely different setting that just happens to use the same name for matters of legal and marketing convenience.

Orchid87 said:

Quake 3 is not a completely different setting though. It has both Q1 and Q2 locations.

Quake 3 is as canon to the Quake series as Smash Bros. is to the Metroid series.

Orchid87 said:

Gez said:

Quake 4 is not a real Quake game, not because of who developed it, but because it's a sequel instead of just being a completely different game in a completely different setting that just happens to use the same name for matters of legal and marketing convenience.

It's still a quake game, It's a sequel to Quake 2. the problem is with the numbering, but that does not make it not Quake.

Orchid87 said:

So what? Doom 64 is Midway "fanfic" made under the supervision of id Software

Voros said:

So what? Doom 64 is Midway "fanfic" made under the supervision of id Software

Doom 64 is decent and worthy successor if a bit late. Quake 4 is a joke, Raven has got everything about Quake 2 universe wrong.

Orchid87 said:

Doom 64 is decent and worthy successor if a bit late. Quake 4 is a joke, Raven has got everything about Quake 2 universe wrong.

Well that's true.

But it still counts though.

Orchid87 said:

1) Pistol is Quake 2 blaster (Quake 4? didn't play it)
2) Gauss gun is Railgun
3) Possessed soldiers look like stroggs. Also shield enemies that look like Doom 3 shield guys
4) Mars outside looks like Doom 3 outside
5) Doom 3 Metal
6) Quad damage
7) Hell knights from Doom 3

/fixed

Deatheye said:

/fixed

Quake 2 had all that stuff before Doom 3 tho. Also Mars atmoshpere is much brighter in Doom 3 and you spend much less time there.

id Software has never been much about canon. You'll find more story in Commander Keem than Doom or Quake.

GoatLord said:

id Software has never been much about canon. You'll find more story in Commander Keem than Doom or Quake.

Because Tom Hall

for me doom2016 is also feeling not too much like doom sadly... the monsterdesign could have been better and more unique design Overall not generic scifi designs.

Orchid87 said:

6) Quad damage

In every id software game with Quad Damage (that I've played) it uses the same damn sounds. Made by Mr. Reznor of course.

nxGangrel said:

In every id software game with Quad Damage (that I've played) it uses the same damn sounds. Made by Mr. Reznor of course.

I like that sound though. Wouldn't dream of replacing it.
Its like when I fire, the sound is blocking my swear word, by acting as my swear word.

Example
*receives QD*
*sound* ->FUCK YEAH!
*fires gun
*sound* ->FUCK YOU!

Of course that's how I see it.

Isn't counting the Quake influences in Doom 2016 moot because, um, well Quake in and of itself was ridiculously close to the Doom formula anyway?

Well I dod notice some similarities...heres a few of them

>Fiends and pinkies are somewhat similar since you need to dodge them when they charge/leap at you. As well as looking very similar in bodily terms.
>D3 hellknights look like shamblers who went to the dentist and exercised
>Baron ranged attack shares similarities to how a shabler summons lightning.
>enemy health since most possesed soldiers take at least 2 shells to kill
>the machinegun is strikingly similar to a nailgun. You can see the projectiles fly when you strafe.
> i know this is stupid but since they are technically just withered corpses, but the unwilling(hell zombies) kinda look like the undead in quake. Just glad they dont need to be gibbed to be put down permanenttly. Although that would sound cool though.

HellVain said:

>D3 hellknights look like shamblers who went to the dentist and exercised

I lol'd

HellVain said:

>enemy health since most possesed soldiers take at least 2 shells to kill

So uhh, many game's low-mid tier enemies are influenced by Quake in this way?

HellVain said:

> i know this is stupid but since they are technically just withered corpses, but the unwilling(hell zombies) kinda look like the undead in quake. Just glad they dont need to be gibbed to be put down permanenttly. Although that would sound cool though.

That's apparently too easy in this game anyways.

More looks like Quake must be exepriment between old and new Doom.