Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Ancient Aliens - final version on idgames

Dragonfly said:

If you die to a zombieman it will say that you were killed by an alien. Doomhuntress was simply correcting the grammar of what's already in the mod.

Everything is an alien when it kills you. The cast sequence disagrees.

This looks great, but I don't want to play it with the same old standard Doom monsters. Anyone knows a good monster replacement mod that fits in the alien theme?

Doomhuntress said:

in the cast call, the zombieman should be dubbed "An Alien", not "A Alien", for grammar's sake.

Dragonfly said:

If you die to a zombieman it will say that you were killed by an alien. Doomhuntress was simply correcting the grammar of what's already in the mod.

Pretty sure that's for the sake of a joke since later in the cast sequence imp is "an alien".

I noticed some things that might need fixing:

Trivial but I noticed the first 3 obituaries defined in dehacked are missing a dot at the end:
%o was punched by an alien
%o was slashed by an alien
%o got too close to an alien

For multiplayer it would be better if linedef 4072 in map07 was changed to a repeatable switch because if the player inside presses the switch just as the lift/floor (sector 734) is going up after being lowered by someone else, it cannot be pressed again and the player becomes stuck.

I'm stuck in MAP18 playing in GZDOOM and I'm hoping that there isn't some problem preventing me from continuing. I'm probably just missing it, but should I be able to reach the red key at the top of the waterfall without already having any other keys?

I'm pretty sure the red key is the first key you grab so, yeah. It is possible.

Just confirmed that I'm stupid. :) Didn't see the place to 'jump' from one level to another before getting across the cliff leading to the red key waterfall.

This megawad rules!

Tetzlaff said:

This looks great, but I don't want to play it with the same old standard Doom monsters. Anyone knows a good monster replacement mod that fits in the alien theme?

There are actually two new enemies that are interesting enough to spice up the vanilla gameplay.

Any word on a final release? I started an LP on my Youtube channel, and my subscribers are getting pissed because I didn't wait until the stable version -_-

Thanks all :D

AlexMax said:

Some random things I found when playing it in Zandronum

Missing floor textures? There are several instance of this in MAP30.

The hell? MAP12.

I fixed the first. The second is a pit containing monsters that raises before the player gets to it. I'm guessing you only see it broken because you flew through the map in spectator mode before someone crossed the trigger?

stru said:

Any word on a final release? I started an LP on my Youtube channel, and my subscribers are getting pissed because I didn't wait until the stable version -_-

No, these things take time. It will probably be at least a month but don't even hold me to that.

Maps 1-21 - DONE (RC2)

Really impressive stuff so far. I particularily liked maps 7,8,13 and 18. Even though map 18 was quite hard, it looked incredibly cool, especially the pyramid.

I didn't run into anything really game breaking, appart maybe from the bug in map 15 (the gap between the platform and the red door is too short so you can't actually fall down to the red door and go grab the secret exit) but this one has been mentioned and you fixed it in your copy so yeah, nothing huge.

This has got to be one of the most impressive wad I've played in a while to be honest. Fantastic visuals coupled with fast paced gameplay really sealed the deal for me.

However, I'll say this, the first few maps (up to map 06) were kinda dull to be honest, not bad per say but not that amazing hehe and I'm sorry, but I did not like map 19. I dunno, I guess it's mainly cause I don't really like gimmicky maps like this (berserk in this case) in general so it's nothing really personnal ^^

I did not find any maps that were hard to the point of me just giving up, no some maps were hard for sure but not frustratingly hard and that is a huge plus in my book. Cujos.

Anyhow, can't wait to see this finalised (on the archives) but in the meantime, I'll continue my run on the RC2 ^^

I haven't gotten that far in this yet (level 4) but I'm having a really good time in it. I decided to play in HNTR, but I'm kind of regretting it now. To be honest, I just didn't want to have to deal with the CD at the start. :p

The visions element is really neat and this theme is played off extraordinarily well with the use of textures.

I look forward to getting further and seeing what you did with the theme as the wad progresses.

Great job!

Save scumming all over this magnificent monster of a mega wad. Haven't even beaten the whole thing yet. It has me in awe, pissed off, and extremely pleased at the same time. Good job, Skillsaw, you're the man.... er... mapper.

EDIT: forgot to mention, playing in UV.

Just finished the whole thing on UV including the bonus levels. This wad was fun as hell (and frustrating as hell, especially the third episode, some really difficult levels there). Anyways, I decided to register and to post just to say thank you for all your hard work - skillsaw, stewboy and the rest of the contributors. It's a really great wad, I had a blast of a time playing it!

i'd like to revise my opinion :

the plasma men aren't so bad. I beat the level I was stuck on and am now on level 15. I now enjoy seeing them as it means I'll get to kill them. And the other pyramid things are fine too. good fun even.

HMP seems pretty well balanced. i'm still playing RC1 and will complete it and then get onto RC 2. The only map I have so far disliked was Flow control. Also, those bloody UFOs lag me to death for what I see as little gain

Goddammit skillsaw! I hate you! Every time you post something I get upset! Usually I cry because it's soooo beautifully put together and ughhh I love your levels. It makes me jealous (in a good inspiring way) Valiant was my favorite Wad for the longest time, it's just so amazing. I can't wait to play this

I have some question about map 26 (I think that's the right number). It's called "Egyptian metaphysics".

That question is about one secret in particular. Near the path to the blue key, there is supposedly a shootable switch on a rock platform. That switch opens a secret wall that has a megasphere and a few rockets I think. Anyways, I just wanted to say that actually shooting that switch is a pain because it seems to be covered almost entirely with a bunch of trees and all.

I tried shooting it from any angle I could think off, even with me being directly in it's line of sight but nothing so in the end, I had to resort to cheating just to get to that switch :/

I will soon edit this post (like very very very soon) to show you a picture of what I mean.

Anyhow, I dunno if it's just me that had problems with this switch. It might come from the sourceport I'm using, I dunno (I'm using gzdoom for this wad) but I still thought it was worth mentioning. Granted, I know that you (skillsaw) didn't make this map in particular so I guess this is also directed to the author of the map, tarnsman.

Here a few pics of the switch I'm reffering too, pardon me in advance if this has already been brought up btw. Also, spoilers for those who don't want the secret spoiled (granted, I did describe it a little above though) ^^"

Area where the switch is in:

Spoiler

Actual switch on the automap:
Spoiler

Actual switch ingame:
Spoiler

Other than that, still having tons of fun with this wad. I've reached map 29 last night but decided to call it quits for the night when I saw the monster count :)

That's gonna be another Cacoward for Skillsaw. And amazing work by all the guest mappers who contributed! (Seriously, it's like a dream team of all my favourite mappers came together to make this.)

This megaWAD is seriously the best and most interesting one I've played in years. I've just beaten it and I just want to go back and play it again immediately.

Overall the experience I had was pretty good, and I was too busy enjoying the mapset to notice any errors, but I hope you keep working to make this the best it can possibly be!

Music bug report for stewboy: D_DEAD2 ("Space Jiggle" if I'm not mistaken) finishes with a hung note when listening to it in SLADE. I know ZDoom resets all instruments when looping, but AFAIK some other ports don't.

Likewise for D_AMPIE ("The Greater Good") and D_ULTIMA ("Birdsong").

What's up with all the O_ and Q_ songs?

The_Trigger said:

I will soon edit this post (like very very very soon) to show you a picture of what I mean.

Hmm, I seem to remember the switch being shootable in ZDoom but I don't remember testing it in anything else. I'll take a look at it!

skillsaw said:

Hmm, I seem to remember the switch being shootable in ZDoom but I don't remember testing it in anything else. I'll take a look at it!

Glad to hear ^^

Again, as I said, it may come from my sourceport (gzdoom in this case) or it may come from the player needing to be standing in a rather particular angle maybe?

Shootable or not, I'd still suggest moving the trees in front of it a little so that it's easier to see (I know it's a secret switch but well, in this case, it's almost impossible to see unless you turn on the automap and notice something).

Gez said:

What's up with all the O_ and Q_ songs?

Midis that were previously used on the maps. I must have forgotten to remove them.

So today I played map20, UV pistol start. I found it much harder than others, I took me like 30+ tries whereas every other map was 1-6 tries tops, the initial courtyard could have the damn chaingunner removed imho, because you just can't snipe him easily as there are usually imps in front serving as meat shields.

Anyways, I wasn't here for that. If the level idea was to give the player the freedom to choose between SSG or RL and then also which key to use, then ammo needs retuning. I found myself going tyson a lot when doing any other path that wasn't RL>Red Key.

Also, I couldn't reach one of the secrets, buy I saw talk about it here, so it'll be fixed I hope.

Using RC2 of course.

The screenshots look great. I have to check this one out. Thanks for creating it for us to enjoy.

pagb said:

So today I played map20, UV pistol start. I found it much harder than others, I took me like 30+ tries whereas every other map was 1-6 tries tops, the initial courtyard could have the damn chaingunner removed imho, because you just can't snipe him easily as there are usually imps in front serving as meat shields.

Anyways, I wasn't here for that. If the level idea was to give the player the freedom to choose between SSG or RL and then also which key to use, then ammo needs retuning. I found myself going tyson a lot when doing any other path that wasn't RL>Red Key.

Also, I couldn't reach one of the secrets, buy I saw talk about it here, so it'll be fixed I hope.

Using RC2 of course.

The second secret is reachable in RC2 but

Spoiler

it does not open up until you've reached the exit.

I just played through the map going SSG->BK route skipping secrets and optional side areas and had plenty of ammo until the very last room, where not having the RL kind of screwed me over. I can probably put a RL in the last room to alleviate that potential problem (although it's obtainable in the map if you explore fully regardless of which route you choose at the beginning).

I guess dewww probably already mentioned this, but marines can fall into this monster pit before it rises in coop.
aaliens-map03-trap-issue.png

Voodoo doll summary after all the confusion: Only map23 needs fixing (moving stuff around so that some of the voodoo dolls don't start sitting right on top of linedefs like they do now).

RC2 version of map23 also still has two issues in the rsk area in coop. If everyone dies in there, there's no way to get in anymore. And if someone presses the inner switch which opens the bars before the linedef which closes them is triggered, that precious W1 action is gone for marines on both sides (I know the switch is initially hidden, but it can be pressed, and chance is a beach).

This is more or less of importance -1, but only one player gets to experience howling with the bears in map03 in coop as L1690 is a W1 teleport. And even then it will probably be cut short because the next player will not have to go far to reach the exit. But, as I said, this doesn't break anything and it's a silly nitpick. I'm just mentioning it because I already had it written down.

I heard some rumours about an update so I decided to dump my buffer. Now that it's done, I hope it all makes at least a bit of sense; I've been awake for 24+ hours.

Also, feel free to modify/clean up the script lumps so that they fit into the wad nicely. I stuck that header there and kept the old lump around to clearly mark it as a modification to the original so that it would not shed bad light on your work if I ducked something up. That no longer seems to be necessary now that it is officially in, so feel free to remove/change whatever you wish, including the header.

So I've been playing RC1 version with Brutal Doom starter kit for a while and just moved over to RC2 but now every time I go to load a saved game it does nothing, it won't load old saves. I can start a new game but not load the old saves. :( Any advise? I'd hate to have to start all over again.

Second question, Map 9 "The Nectar Flow" I can't figure out where to go next. I'm in the area where you're suppose to hit the button and what I assume race through some gates before they close again but there is no way I'm fast enough to do it before they close. I'm i missing something? I have "run always" enabled and there doesn't appear to be a sprint option.

crackerjacc said:

So I've been playing RC1 version with Brutal Doom starter kit for a while and just moved over to RC2 but now every time I go to load a saved game it does nothing, it won't load old saves. I can start a new game but not load the old saves. :( Any advise? I'd hate to have to start all over again.

Second question, Map 9 "The Nectar Flow" I can't figure out where to go next. I'm in the area where you're suppose to hit the button and what I assume race through some gates before they close again but there is no way I'm fast enough to do it before they close. I'm i missing something? I have "run always" enabled and there doesn't appear to be a sprint option.

For the first question, AFAIK, you can't load old saves because you saved these games with RC1. The only way you could load these saves back is if you continue your run with RC1. Unfortunately, if you want to play with the RC2, you will have to start all over again (if you play continuously). However, I guess you could still warp through the different maps and do them from pistol start (with RC2) or, at the very least, reach the map you last saved and do it from pistol start (just idclev to the map in question).

As for the second question, I think I know which path you mean as I thought this was quite a tricky timed switch. There's no real secret, you just have to be extremely fast. Try strafe-running? Like you hit the up key and as soon as you do, you hit one of the directional keys all the while hiting the up key (I suck at explaining shit and I'm sure someone will explain it better than me ^^) and you should get a speed boost.

If the straferunning bit switch thingy on map9 is too much, I'm happy to have skillsaw change it so it's possible to make it with a non-strafe run.

Making some parts in my maps require strafe run is probably something I should stop doing haha.

RC3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y827iq9vo4iqx5r

Mostly fixes to bugs and some oversights. I wanted to get an updated build out in time for the DWMC's playthrough this month since Ancient Aliens seems to be the forerunner currently. Anyways, I should be current with reports in this thread and reports on IRC. I also rearranged the palette a little for aa-tex (to make it a little easier to work with by grouping some ranges that were spread across the previous version's palette) so hopefully no problems come from that.

And speaking of, here is a download for aa-tex v1:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qy4g83yy279o5x5

I did a lot of work getting some more consistent texture naming so working with this resource is a bit easier for mappers. I also filled in some missing color variations. Let me know if you discover any issues working with this resource. There is an included text file which will provide some assistance if you're not used to working with custom palettes using Slade.