Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S|aVe.3rN.

Zdaemon Server Help

Well heres the deal, i have my server running up, and everything is all Aok , but the maxplayers and maxclients wont change, im not sure what the server command is , in my zserver.cfg i have it as

maxclients "8"
maxplayers "6"

im not sure what else to do for this, the server runs fine and ok, but im not sure how to fix that problem , if anyone can help me that would be much helpful , thanks!

-SlaVe

btw - if you guys wanna stop on by sometime , the server name is .3rN.'s Frag Fest

try starting zserver with -maxclients 8 -maxplayers 6 added to the command line

What Eric says will work. By the way, my zserver.cfg has no entries in the format you state. It most likely has to be
set maxclients "8"
set maxplayers "6"

You need the word "set", everything else in zserver.cfg has it.

thx man that helped , another question , how do i set the mapcycle ? like half-life did how it had a mapcycle.txt file , do i have to do the same thing for Zservers ? or is it done a diffrent way ?

S|aVe.3rN. said:

thx man that helped , another question , how do i set the mapcycle ? like half-life did how it had a mapcycle.txt file , do i have to do the same thing for Zservers ? or is it done a diffrent way ?

For this one, I usually use a config file specific to the wad being played. For example, my command line for my tntblood server is

cd \files\zdaemon
zserver -file ..\wads\tntblood.wad -warp 27 -maxclients 5 +exec tntblood.cfg -port 10015

The file tntblood.cfg has this:

addmap map01
addmap map02
addmap map04
addmap map09
addmap map10
addmap map11
addmap map14
addmap map16
addmap map19
addmap map25
addmap map26
addmap map27

The dmflags, timelimit, fraglimit, etc. is in my zserver.cfg.

lol thx , im sure i can figure that out , somehow hrmmm , its probly easier then it looks lol i jus cant put it together in my head right now, like i have all the dwango wads ect.. that ive gotten from that one website erm not sure what it was called, and im trying to figure out how to play those into the game - cause i dont know the map names themselvs, i can list all the wad files i have ? but im not sure how to set this all up lol im very new to Doom Servers , im to used to half-life

You don't need to know map names.

Say you have dwango5.wad and want to host it with zdaemon. The most basic command (at DOS prompt, or batch file, or shortcut) is
zserver -file dwango5.wad

In this case, dwango5.wad needs to be in the same folder with zserver.exe.

Don't be confused by things like ..\wads\tntblood.wad in my example, that's just the path to my wads because I don't have tntblood.wad in my zdaemon (zserver) folder.

You don't need to specify an alternate port unless you are running more than one server at once.

The .cfg file is a convenient place to put map rotations as I listed. It's simply a text file, create it or edit it with Notepad and save it into the zdaemon folder. The +exec argument in the zserver command line tells zdaemon to read and use that particular config file.

If you were able to do what Eric said, then the things I said are no different, do the same thing, put them on the command line as you did with Eric's suggestions. If you still don't understand something, ask specifically about it.....

Biffy said:

What Eric says will work. By the way, my zserver.cfg has no entries in the format you state. It most likely has to be
set maxclients "8"
set maxplayers "6"

You need the word "set", everything else in zserver.cfg has it.

I know I'm not very knowledgable about servers, having a 56k connection and all, but I don't think you can actually set the maxclients and maxplayers from zserver.cfg at all - I've tried it - they can ONLY be set by the command line, I think. If I'm wrong, could someone please tell me how to do it from the config file, because that might help me in the future.

ok , i have hte wad added to the command line for the server now for my maps , im calling hte file 3rNMaps.cfg do i jus put this inside that txt file

addmap map01
addmap map02
addmap map04
addmap map09
addmap map10
addmap map11
addmap map14
addmap map16
addmap map19
addmap map25
addmap map26
addmap map27

? or do i have to put somthing else ?

Well, I can't imagine that those are actually the map numbers you want to play...didn't you just copy what I wrote. Heh, no, you have to play your wad, go from map to map, note which ones you want, then write the .cfg file accordingly.

You probably know that, when playing doom2, you can start in the first map and then change to the second by typing idclev 02 (for map02 of doom2) or when playing doom, idclev 12 for episode one, map two of doom. And so forth, looking at each map and noting the map number. An alternative command, in the zdoom console (get it with the ~ key) is map map07 for doom2 and (guessing) map e2m3 for episode 2 map3 of doom.

Nothing else is needed in the .cfg file to specify the map rotation.

alright thx =) i got the map cycle up , checked out all the maps i want on my server,

map02
map04
map07
map09
map10

now my next and final questions

How do i set my server to start out with map02.

And my last and final questions , what are the console commands for banning , kicking ect... and if there is any possble client software to have server powers ? yah know like admin mod for half-life ? somthing like that ? if not its cool , my server machine is 2 feet next to me , just beats having to look back n forth between the 2 comptuers , but if not its no problem

Hmm, you aren't reading the zdaemon text files, are you. :/ OK, you use the argument -warp 02 in the command line. Please check out the zdoom 1.22 commands.txt and zdoom.txt. Also and especially, zdaemon.txt. In your case, I would arrange the map cycle so that map02 was on the end, otherwise you will end up playing map02 twice in the beginning. Alternatively, just -warp 10 on the command line so map02 comes up next.

Client software to have server powers? No comprendo, senor. If you mean can you administer the server remotely, the answer is yes, through the rcon command. You join, give the rcon password if any, and you can issue a command. You have to issue the rcon password, such as "rcon_password mypass", and then issue the command, such as "rcon map map03".

Regarding kicking and banning, there is information in the text files.
If that situation actually comes up and you cannot figure it out, ask at that time (leaving you with a bit of homework).

Biffy said:

Hmm, you aren't reading the zdaemon text files, are you. :/ OK, you use the argument -warp 02 in the command line. Please check out the zdoom 1.22 commands.txt and zdoom.txt. Also and especially, zdaemon.txt. [...]

There's command.txt for zdaemon, which excludes commands that don't work with zdaemon and includes any changes or new ones.