Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redrage

Checkpoints tutorial

I have created a checkpoints tutorial after I ran into some issues with an old method i used. I focused on creating a maintainable system that is easy to setup and change or tweak later on. This means that the checkpoint logic is self contained; i.e. you don't have to link back to your other checkpoints!

I also explain a simple logic tree for the base layout and how to make certain you respawn with any extra weapons or items you picked up along the way.

I start with no checkpoints and walk you through the entire process.

Youtube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Z63FQv2_U

New Youtube tutorial (fixes and shorter): https://youtu.be/rvC3m22gRHk

SnapMap shortcode for the (finished) map in the tutorial: YTJQL9EM

Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions!

Before I watch I must ask if this works with co-op? I swear I've seen checkpoints and such or something like that in co-op

I have not set these up with coop in mind. However if I were to guess the tweaks to make this work with coop would be small such as splitting the loadout logic for each player. I am certain the principles I explain here would carry over. :)

So, I am going to ask for some honest feedback here.

Why do I have zero feedback?

- Does everybody already know this?
- Is the video too long?
- Is my Dutch accent horrible?
- Is this forum dead?
- Did I make some dumb mistake?

While recording the tutorial itself was fun it was also work. If, for some reason, no one sees value in it I would be less motivated to make more.

Just give me a little bit of feedback. Good or bad. :)

Watched the video. Pretty cool stuff there. Definitely going to use that for a checkpoint system in the maps.

I thought the video was really useful. However, I think the video is a bit long at times and I ended up fast forwarding parts. It's probably really useful to include all of that for beginners, but if there was a time marker thing next time (e.g. at 5:30 I explain the new system, at 11:40 I explain how to give player loadouts for the new system), I think that would make the video even more informative as a reference piece.

If you got other cool tricks, I would appreciate seeing them. =)

Thank you for your feedback (and your most welcome of course). Yeah I think it runs just a bit over 20 minutes which is pretty long for a youtube video.

I like your idea on creating time markers. Ill see whether i can apply that to this video and if not ill keep it in mind for the next one.

Cheers!

Ah, you're the guy who also made the flickering light reference. I didn't piece it together at first.

I think these reference videos are fantastic and will become common knowledge in the snap map community. I say, keep it up.

Awesome video, helped me out with the weapons in your inventory when respawning. My problem with it now, is I have to figure out how to get the correct weapons to respawn when I die. I have about 6 different weapons in my map.
Have you or anyone else figured out the logic chain for that yet? I'm currently working on it now. if I figure it out, i'll post it here.

Yes I have made an error when it comes to keeping your weapons in that video and I will amend it in the future.

When you choose to keep your inventory in the gameplay settings this actually does keep your current weapons (regardless of pickup order).

My mistake was that I defaulted to the start loadout on each spawn. The reality is that you only want the base loadout given to the player on the very first start. Every checkpoint later on will be fine by keeping the inventory alone.

So the actual logic chain you need is this:

The clue is in the relay node. The only reason its in there is because it has the option "Run once". If you set that to True it will only run the first time the player spawns. All the other times there will already be an inventory to speak of which will be kept.

This means you also don't need to store any values for weapons you did or did not pick up making the overal proces much easier.

Sorry for the confusion. After reading your post it suddenly hit me I had made a mistake with my logic chain.

Hope this helps you and I did not derail you too much. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS
I also republished it so you can find it under the same code with fixed logic chain.

Cool I tried it and it works. I just made a little tweak to it. This is what I did:

Map > set active > gameplay settings
Set keep inventory on respawn to true.

Then:

Map > on map started > signal > relay > on signaled > give load out > player load out
Relay was set to true like you said.

It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Just finished my first map. Damn, that was fun! It took a bit of learning, but I think it's pretty clean for a first time.

It's a full length campaign map. Solo or co-op competitive! Quite a few boss battles, 20+ rooms, over 150 demons! It's objective based, and also has a few secrets included.

Give it a try and let me know how yall like it. Any criticism would be great, leading me to have an improved 2nd map! Enjoy it... or not.

Search code for it is here: VW6D3VWB

redrage said:

So, I am going to ask for some honest feedback here.

Why do I have zero feedback?

- Does everybody already know this?
- Is the video too long?
- Is my Dutch accent horrible?
- Is this forum dead?
- Did I make some dumb mistake?

While recording the tutorial itself was fun it was also work. If, for some reason, no one sees value in it I would be less motivated to make more.

Just give me a little bit of feedback. Good or bad. :)

Actually i wanted to contact you for obvious reasons. But one of the benefits of working with you would be the fact that i also live in the Netherlands and would like to invite you to our teamspeak channel ts.bug-community.com. There are at least 3 Doom players and i'm the only one that is trying to make some SnapMaps. I have created one map which is too basic and started making a second one that will be closer to the classic maps (key hunting, ambushes and traps). I don't plan to overload you with questions and stuff, I just want someone which i share interests with. Hope to see you there.

TheLastOttoman said:

Actually i wanted to contact you for obvious reasons. But one of the benefits of working with you would be the fact that i also live in the Netherlands and would like to invite you to our teamspeak channel ts.bug-community.com. [...] I don't plan to overload you with questions and stuff, I just want someone which i share interests with. Hope to see you there.

I don't think it will turn into a regular thing but I could hop by. Any specific time you are on?

VentedPennies said:

redrage, you should troll the official forums some, your videos are desperately needed

Official forums for anything never really appealed to me. I much prefer the community made forums such as this one. :) I am somewhat considering to contribute to the snapmap wiki. That thing is pretty much useless at the moment and checkpoints and keeping your inventory is pretty basic info everyone should have easy acces to.

redrage said:

I have created a checkpoints tutorial after I ran into some issues with an old method i used. I focused on creating a maintainable system that is easy to setup and change or tweak later on. This means that the checkpoint logic is self contained; i.e. you don't have to link back to your other checkpoints!
Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions!

Excellent work, thanks for this! I will use this in every map and credit you too my friend.

Amasing work! Wow what is intended to be an easy to use tool is actully not so easy to use tool! I'd call it a Snapscript, that's more like it))) Anyway well done))

waza said:

Excellent work, thanks for this! I will use this in every map and credit you too my friend.

You are most welcome. Happy to hear its useful to you. :)

id.dav said:

Amazing work! Wow what is intended to be an easy to use tool is actually not so easy to use tool! I'd call it a Snapscript, that's more like it))) Anyway well done))

It requires a fair amount of thought and planning once you leave the trodden path, I will admit that much. "SnapScript" made me giggle, its not a wrong description. The truth is that, even with this, if I had used a "premade" encounter option, like waves, I would be able to just set an option that will respawn the player in the room the encounter is happening in.

So essentially you get somewhat of an inbuild checkpoint system.

The problem with all the inbuild functionality like this is that its almost never really foolproof. For example, if I had successfully completed a standard wave encounter, walked into a halway and then died to a monster, if i would not have set my own checkpoint I would have still respawned at player start.

How would you adapt to this to multiple players? I'm thinking of the case where one lazy joe just reached the first checkpoint and the other jim sprinted ahead to the second checkpoint. Custom filters?

You would need multiple booleans, and player starts. You can set up the player starts with a property for which player they are, then on your module->On Entered event, filter for which player, and activate the according boolean.

the video was helpful, if i add checkpoints to any of my maps i will probably use the system you have displayed here.