Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scottland89

Doom 2 Maps Remixed

Hi All,

Edit: Map list of Doom 2 maps made in Snapmap. I'll list others who post the code if they want so we have a list compiled somewhere. Feedback is always welcomed.

Map 01- Entryway = T42LYZJW (Remixed version by myself) or LBDCLHUS (more authentic version by Shades Master)
Map 02- Underhalls = V6QQ7RKH (Remixed version by myself)
Map 03 - The Gantlet = 2AR4P2FB (Remixed version by myself)
Map 09- The Pit = 866GGQ7K (Remixed version by myself)
Map 18 - The Courtyard = PS9XAJV6 (Remixed version by myself)
Map 30 - Icon of Sin WHM35MBQ (Remixed version by myself)
More coming soon

Note that my remixes are suppose to be similar in some way but stilld different from the original maps.

Original Post: Thought I'd share a Map 01 Entryway from Doom 2 remake that I made. Code: T42LYZJW

Due to how snapmap works, I've made some changes to make it a bit more sense and to try and up the difficulty due to the weapons that are available (though it is still fairly easy, it is the first map).

Feel free to provide feedback as well. Got plans for remaking another doom 2 map.

it locked me in the big room with an imp, the respawning mechanics were weird and because Of that when I died I lost all my guns and didn't get them back. Doesn't remeble Entryway at all so you might as well call it something different imo.

MrGlide said:

it locked me in the big room with an imp

Was there just the 1 imp? There should be atleast 24 spawning in at first, then another 12 with 3 surprises. Need to look into that as my spawners stopped working on my 2nd map that I'm making, with no noticeable reason. Going to see if this map is affected despite happening after publishing.

MrGlide said:

the respawning mechanics were weird and because Of that when I died I lost all my guns and didn't get them back.

Yeah need to look into that more. Think I may have a solution so will work into that.

MrGlide said:

Doesn't remeble Entryway at all so you might as well call it something different imo.

Well it's a remake, not an exact replica. I'll rename it to remix to avoid further confusion. BUt I think it still has many entryway elements, with some stuff added in due to Snap map limitations (and possibilities).

Scottland89 said:

Was there just the 1 imp? There should be atleast 24 spawning in at first, then another 12 with 3 surprises.

Please realize you cant have more then 12 active monsters in snapmap at one time. So if you already have 12, trying to spawn in more at that time will result in them slowly spawning in as soon as existing mobs are killed instead of instantaneously.

redrage said:

Please realize you cant have more then 12 active monsters in snapmap at one time. So if you already have 12, trying to spawn in more at that time will result in them slowly spawning in as soon as existing mobs are killed instead of instantaneously.

Didn't know there was a limit like that (so annoying if that's the case). Will change it up to overcome this by using spawners all over the place instead of demons being placed down. That will allow the full 12 in at a time. Saying that, everytime I had played it, it was defo giving me more than 1 imp at a time in that room. Like maybe a good 9 at a time, but that maybe the demon limit from elsewhere so the above should make it 12 in that room once implemented.

You can manually place monsters, you just have to make certain they cannot be left behind when the player progresses through the level.

Every active monster left behind lowers your potential spawn count. Essentially you have to lock a player in a specific space until all monsters are dead before proceeding. That is exactly why the formulaic "lockdown" principle with the spawners was created.

You can get creative with it though if you keep it under your own control. Its just a shit-ton more work and you have to make certain players can't "break" your map.

Ive been using counters to make certain all monsters are dead in a specific area before trigging doors. This allows me to perform "lockdowns" that span over several modules for example.

redrage said:

You can manually place monsters, you just have to make certain they cannot be left behind when the player progresses through the level.

Every active monster left behind lowers your potential spawn count. Essentially you have to lock a player in a specific space until all monsters are dead before proceeding. That is exactly why the formulaic "lockdown" principle with the spawners was created.

You can get creative with it though if you keep it under your own control. Its just a shit-ton more work and you have to make certain players can't "break" your map.

Ive been using counters to make certain all monsters are dead in a specific area before trigging doors. This allows me to perform "lockdowns" that span over several modules for example.

Thanks.

Did a quick test and saw that the original implementation did cause the issue described (also explains why I was having issues with another map, an Underhalls remix).

Worked around this so that every optional demon is a spawner (bar those in my last big room) which will trigger in certain instances (e.g. enemies only spawn if certain modules are entered or doors are opened), with only 1 instance where a small amount of demons won't contribute to a counter to open an advancing door so they could still be alive when a door is opened (don't want to force the player to go into a secret). This all should enhance the final big room.

I've had to republish my new version under a new code (T42LYZJW) but it should be worth it.

Now created Underhalls remix now. Code V6QQ7RKH. Thanks to Redrage's info on demon limit info and advice for my original map, it's ended up making areas more difficult but bloody than originally planned, in a good way.

Again feedback is welcomed.

ShadesMaster said:

I had a wee go. It's a cool layout but a bit disappointing that there was no secrets in the map (the foundry bit could feature something I feel as you can easily jump in it)

I've seen more accurate, but they were too accurate that it wasn't challenging at all, while yours actually killed me, so it looks like yours is probably the one I've enjoyed the most made by others.

p.s. it's LBDCLHUS

Maybe an 'easy snap-points bonus' with a bunch of 1hp Mancini lol, no e it switch but a teleporter....

I tried all the map01's I coukd find and fa e em an upvote.

Created a new snapmap. This time a remix of Map 18 - Courtyard. Layout is nothing like the original but I believe I have the same atmosphere of it. It probably has a Ticks and Traps feel to it (but I don't believe it's cleaver enough to be it) and a sort of Dead Simple inspired section too. Map code PS9XAJV6. Enjoy

Special thanks to mikeo007, who helped solve a problem I had getting specific set pieces to work as I intended.

julz_d said:

Have you considered adding some more player starts for co-op?

Co-op wasn't part of my original plan (I'm mostly a SP guy), but I can't see why not, and guessing your question imply there is a demand for it now (even if it's just you) so I'll add it in.

edit: And That's them added now, upto 4 player co-op!

2 New Maps now made
Map 03 - The Gantlet = 2AR4P2FB (Remixed version by myself)

Remake of the map, including some infighting that is always guaranteed and zombie strike attempts (admit it, you always try to shoot all 4 former humans in the map with a single SSG shot). There is a well placed hidden secret which may make the ending a bit easier.

Map 30 - Icon of Sin WHM35MBQ (Remixed version by myself).

Just you, a BFG, the icon of sin, and a whole load of demons, constantly re-spawning. Get 3 bfg rounds in the head to win the game, but it ain't as easy as point and shoot as soon as you can!

These 2 and the others are available under #Doom 2 Remix on snapmap.

Feedback as usual is welcome.