Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuruish

Do you really believe in existence of Paradise and Hell after death?

Do you? I'm not. Why? Because it's greatest tool to control people.
Everyone fears death, and no one knows what after this.
Someone believe that after death he will go into Paradise or in theory of reincarnation because it's much easy for health to think that your parent or you will be happy after death.
Also how looks like a Paradise? Don't you find that place boring? Only clouds and something like this and souls which are always feels pleasure like a with drugs. Even if Paradise exist, i find that place boring.
Also exist so many aspects which will throw your soul into hell. For example suicide. If you kill yourself you will go to hell. Does it mean that if you kill yourself for saving someone will you go to hell anyway? Will you go to hell if the only way to end the pain of your friend is euthanasia? It's like you killed him because you said yes. Does doctor got some bonus points for saving life? It's so unright and exist so many aspects that existence of such a world - defies to logic.
Just pray and your sins will be forgiven... braahh!

No.

It disobeys the laws of science.

And science is everything.

As I mentioned in the previous life after death thread, not only do I not buy into the Abrahamic depiction of the afterlife,I don't understand why so many people find it appealing in the first place.

You see - life is like forums: when you die, all you will see after your death will be a banner that says: "You were banned from life." and that's it.

ChekaAgent said:

You see - life is like forums: when you die, all you will see after your death will be a banner that says: "You were banned from life." and that's it.

Ammm. Exist a little chance to be unbanned - does it mean that you can be resurrected if use such analogy?

Azuruish said:

Ammm. Exist a little chance to be unbanned - does it mean that you can be resurrected if use such analogy?

Well, probably no. But i would like to believe that yes (i mean in video games you can be ressurected (respawned), why not in real life?).

Well, physically it's impossible, but a while ago I've read an interesting article about a fictional hell that is just a hallucination created by the brain during the agony. But there's only one way to make sure.
I don't believe in resurrection, but I believe in the food chain. That's a good way to reincarnate, lol.

I don't believe in heaven or hell, but just in case, bury me with a shotgun.

ChekaAgent said:

i mean in video games you can be ressurected (respawned), why not in real life?

I try wallrunning sometimes thanks to this logic. My shoulders hate this.

Kira said:

I try wallrunning sometimes thanks to this logic. My shoulders hate this.

I try wall jumping (you know back in forth between two walls) and have done it once but it was more like climbing and the walls I did it on were close.

I don't believe in any of that heaven and hell rubbish or the whole reborn in another body deal. That's just wishful thinking.

Hell is real. It's full of screaming skeletons, goat men and gigantic closets where the wicked are condemned to wait inside for all eternity.

(I'm going to sound like I'm wearing a tin foil hat for saying this, but) It depends if we are in a computer simulation. If we are in a computer simulation then no it does not exist. If we are not then there is a possibility. The power required to support such a simulation would only be supported by at least a stage 2 civilization. The only way to check if we are in a simulation is to build a simulation and wait until the people in the simulation build another simulation within it. If the simulation cannot produce another simulation then a simulation cannot exist in another simulation therefore we are not in a simulation. If the simulation can produce another simulation then it is likely that we are in a simulation. If we cannot build the first simulation then that means that we are in a simulation.
If we are in a simulation then what is the simulations purpose? Entertainment? Or is it to answer this very question.

I believe that Heaven and Hell is awesome! Some fantastic riffs in that one.

I'm a Christian and 'want' to believe in it. Not exactly easy to though. Rational thinking suggests the concept of Heaven and Hell was the perfect tool to keep the Peasants content with hard work and little reward for their entire lives. The Catholic church was its most corrupt back in its peak and all Lords and Priests alike would benefit the most from this.

However I do I have old Italian relatives who so strongly believe in Christianity and their Saints that I somewhat admire. A couple of them swear on these stories where they have been visited by the spirit of a beloved dead relative and even dreams of their death which came true the next day. This happened twice to my grandmother with my not-so-pious grandfather backing it up (those nights she panicked and he told her to stfu and go back to sleep). But even if these stories were true, not much of this stuff is mentioned in the Bible nor really serve a Christian purpose, as far as I know.

Then there are these temporary dead people who claim they saw a bright tunnel, loved ones inviting them in and the experience was very pleasant before they return back to the living. Are they being honest? And if they are, doesn't it make more sense that the Brain in a dying and traumatic state begins to go haywire, causing visions and odd feelings in the process?

Still... my stance on this always remains the same. I love the core values of my religion and generally most of others. I will try to believe because if it's true I'm a winner and if it isn't I'm still content in life thanks to the values I follow. A part of me wishes to experience a Saintly or Heavenly experience to boost my faith though.

I believe this thread belongs in Hell. Along with the rest of y'all.

I don't believe in hell or heaven, but I would like to believe in a next stage of existence.

No, at least certainly not the way that humans have by and large come to conceive of them. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a hereafter. I would certainly like to come back and have a wider breadth of experience, and I would like that for a lot of other people, especially those who got a raw deal in life; but to paraphrase the bright Carl Sagan, our preferences don't determine what's true. I can hope, though.

I would imagine that if there is anything like Heaven or Hell, it's more of a transitory period in which one feels the collective essence of all their actions and/or experiences, which can be a net positive or negative. Kind of like the "life flashing before my eyes" experience people talk about, but maybe a bit longer and fuller.

However, the notion of Heaven and Hell being actual places of eternal fate that everyone goes to one of depending on how well they followed a particular system and set of rules seems like a bunch of fearmongering crap to me. Social engineering at its worst.

If people don't believe in an after life then I say; Hey, let's form a single file line and execute each other one at a time. If nothing happens after death then you won't regret it and death is inevitable anyways.

*watches as literally nobody offers to join in*

I think that is more of an indication about what people believe more than the words that come from their mouths. If people honestly believed nothing happened after death then they would by default kill themselves; because a life of pain is worse than a death where people believe nothing happens after you die and you no longer feel, experience, or regret.

^Sorry, but that's dumb. The fact of something having to end permanently doesn't negate the value of the journey. I'm sure plenty of people would want to hold on to life all the more feverishly knowing (or at least thinking) that nothing would follow.

Wovenloaf said:

^Sorry, but that's dumb. The fact of something having to end permanently doesn't negate the value of the journey. I'm sure plenty of people would want to hold on to life all the more feverishly knowing (or at least thinking) that nothing would follow.

The value of your experience is meaningless once you are dead, assuming nothing happens afterwards. Why place value in something that means nothing? Smells like superstition.

Assuming nothing happens; this also means no regret. You wouldn't say after death "Dang, I sure wish I had lived life more fully."

I've had some interesting spiritual experiences which have led me to believe that there are phases before and after what we call life. Not necessarily a purgatory or afterlife, or any other theologically specific state, but definitely some kind of existence that we don't, at this time, comprehend. I imagine it being similar to how different it is to go from being a caterpillar to a butterfly.