Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Talking to the monsters?

Maybe it was asked before, but did anyone ever even as a joke made a WAD where you can actually talk to the monsters? Maybe something like monkey island dialogue choices or anything? It could be quite possible with modern scripting, please someone do!

At least we have impsex.

Well, there are countless (joke)WADs that have scripted dialogue scenes and the such, or even monsters with a couple of dialogue lines, but not many with even a rudimentary "dialog" system a-la Legend of Zelda or Castlevania, if you exclude Foreverhood.

TBQH, the "dialog" in that kind of games is something that you usually skip, and you cannot even "talk to the monsters" most of the time. I guess the Edge magazine guy who wrote that, must have been not only a RPG fan, but a hardcore one at that, playing only those with "true" role playing, and not just hack'n slash/dungeon crawlers. And absolutely NO action/JRPGs!

Optimus said:

Maybe it was asked before, but did anyone ever even as a joke made a WAD where you can actually talk to the monsters? Maybe something like monkey island dialogue choices or anything? It could be quite possible with modern scripting, please someone do!

At least we have impsex.

By asking for dialog
You're asking for NPCs
By asking for NPCs
You're asking for story
And the story is not easy to whip up!

Anyways try The Doomworld Forums Trilogy, where you take the role of an anonymous user in the quest to rule the forums by taking down the mods, then some snags then victory!

There's a small unfinished part of story in H Doom too.

Upon reading the title I thought this thread would be about talking to (yelling at) the monsters in Doom when they don't do what you want them to.

Maes said:

Well, there are countless (joke)WADs that have scripted dialogue scenes and the such, or even monsters with a couple of dialogue lines, but not many with even a rudimentary "dialog" system a-la Legend of Zelda or Castlevania, if you exclude Foreverhood.

Ah, Foreverhood! I wish the community could finish Foreverhood (with the original author's permission, of course). A neat concept: How good or evil do you want to play? And that atmosphere...very awe-inspiring. It's hard to describe, but something about Foreverhood made me want to see the rest.

Voros said:

He's asking for jokewads.

No, he's asking for mods where you can talk to monsters, even as a joke. Pretty different. Jokewads like CIF are an accepted answer, but he'd rather have a serious mod if any exists.

Thanks, those are some WADs to try. I never played the community is falling.
I remember Foreverhood, never finished it, but will try again.
I played that Snapmap yesterday. Easy to get some mention on a website, popular nowadays meme, just random answers.

I am more thinking of talking to monsters you later might fight. Strife is very close now I am thinking. Strife is what the Edge writer wanted, maybe.

Optimus said:

Strife is what the Edge writer wanted, maybe.

Maybe conceptually, but you don't affect a whole lot with your talking in that game, unfortunately.

OTOH, a cute gimmick might've been just enough.