Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alltheusernames

Doom '16 too fast?

Let me say this game is fun. HOWEVER. I feel like it's too damned fast. Everything is too quick. I can hardly even tell which demon I'm running and gunning at or who's trying to hit me. This new Doom never allows you take in the demons and just SEE them and hear them. I know a fast game is what people wanted, but why bother on detailed monster designs and sounds if they hardly matter in this game anyway? The old Doom was fast, at least YOU were, but the demons moved slowly enough to actually make you look at them and go "wtf?". Now it's just a gigantic blur of shooting, fire and blood. Then on to the next room.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope, it makes the game more fun to play, Doom's supposed to be fast, Especially if you had to go through arena after arena , Walking slow would just make the fights boring .

He's talking about not being able to take a good look at monsters before killing them, So yeah, we went off-topic .

Alltheusernames said:

Now it's just a gigantic blur of shooting, fire and blood. Then on to the next room.

Disable Motion blur =P .

Increase your FOV and turn off motion blur. That will simultaneously increase your peripheral vision and allow you to get a clearer picture of everything around you.

The game is definitely fast, and since the enemies themselves often move quickly it can sometimes be tough to track them (Imps being especially bad for this).

If you're still having trouble even after changing your settings ... perhaps you're just getting old. :-)

chubz said:

Increase your FOV and turn off motion blur. That will simultaneously increase your peripheral vision and allow you to get a clearer picture of everything around you.

The game is definitely fast, and since the enemies themselves often move quickly it can sometimes be tough to track them (Imps being especially bad for this).

If you're still having trouble even after changing your settings ... perhaps you're just getting old. :-)

you mean decrease the FOV? it feels faster with a high FOV and that fish eye effect

Deatheye said:

you mean decrease the FOV? it feels faster with a high FOV and that fish eye effect

If your FOV is low, you end up with tunnel vision which makes it very easy to lose enemies.

I'm not sure I made myself clear enough. It's not that I can't track the demons and play well. It's purely an aesthetic complaint that nothing is ever still or slow enough to really get good looks at these creatures attacking you. Doom 3, for example, always allowed you to get up close and personal in combat with these bad boys. This is just "shoot from afar before they get anywhere close to you". They may as well just be the same enemy attacking over and over only with varying health. You would hardly tell the difference, quick as everything is.

Some monsters move too fast and the player moves too slow. It needs some adjustment. I'm a seasoned veteran and have no problems with agility and strafing to shoot things in the middle of a jump. I can spin around and be accurate, but there's something off a bit. It does give you less time to enjoy the encounters.

Monsters that are too fast: Cacodemon and Baron.

The Collectables will let you get a good look at them, but if you want to admire them a bit in the middle of combat, let yourself die by them a couple times. You get to see some unique pov glory kills on you.

Also it can be play style. While the projectile enemies like Imps, Possessed Soldiers and Hellrazers never give you time, enemies like the Revenant, Pinkie, Hell Knight and Baron can when you dodge effectively. Shooting a SSG tends to stun them for a moment. Speaking of which, you can switch off the stagger glow on enemies, giving you plenty of time to see them. Alternatively, use a stun shot from the plasma.

The slightly slower glory kills on the big guys gives some nice face time with Demons. Especially the Mancubus front variant.

Have you tried picking up the collectibles? Because once you do you can look at all the models as close as you want im thhe campaign main menu.

Alltheusernames said:

I'm not sure I made myself clear enough. It's not that I can't track the demons and play well. It's purely an aesthetic complaint that nothing is ever still or slow enough to really get good looks at these creatures attacking you. Doom 3, for example, always allowed you to get up close and personal in combat with these bad boys. This is just "shoot from afar before they get anywhere close to you". They may as well just be the same enemy attacking over and over only with varying health. You would hardly tell the difference, quick as everything is.

In that case, I think this game just isn't for you. I haven't had any problems at all identifying the enemies I'm fighting, and as others have said, glory kills give you all the good looks you need! I'm also not really sure what you mean by "just shoot from afar" since many of the game's arena-like battles are up close and personal and distancing yourself from the hordes of spawning demons is much easier said than done.

I played for a short bit on XB1 (I rented bc my graphics card needs upgrading) and I honestly felt that the monster were less "beefy" and too quick but it might be because I hate playing FPS with a controller

Alltheusernames said:

Let me say this game is fun. HOWEVER. I feel like it's too damned fast. Everything is too quick. I can hardly even tell which demon I'm running and gunning at or who's trying to hit me. This new Doom never allows you take in the demons and just SEE them and hear them. I know a fast game is what people wanted, but why bother on detailed monster designs and sounds if they hardly matter in this game anyway? The old Doom was fast, at least YOU were, but the demons moved slowly enough to actually make you look at them and go "wtf?". Now it's just a gigantic blur of shooting, fire and blood. Then on to the next room.

You can turn off blur at the options' menu.

One of my friends said he couldn't get into the game at all just because of the speed.

Then again, he's used to the Battlefield and Call of Duty games.

Alltheusernames said:

The demons are just so beautiful that it seems a shame to blow through them without it feeling like a proper encounter.

That's what the codex is for. Also the model viewer.

Ok, this is just precious. THIS complaint after years and years of people complaining how practically every FPS after Doom had changes style dramatically from fast & furious to slow and tactical, turning every enemy encounter into a miniboss fight, and wishing for something that would "bring back the classic gameplay"? Bah.

HellVain said:

That's what the codex is for. Also the model viewer.

ya, imps running and hoping around and hell knights chasing you down, its what I find fun about the game, if they slowed it down it would be far to easy, even on console.

We get a thread stating that the new DOOM Is too Doomy, and now this.

Good 'ol Dumbworld.

I'm perfectly fine with the speed in Doom 2016, I like being able to zip around unlike many modern FPS games where the player runs out of stamina after 5 seconds of sprinting.

You are right. The enemies are fast. And jump over you. And chase you all the time. And their projectiles are very very fast. You end up struggling and not knowing what hit you. However, the problem is that at the same time your speed seems slower than the original.

In the original Doom, you were fast as fuck, and the enemies where dumb and slow. The projectiles were slow unless you played nightmare. If they where over ledges, they just stayed there, and you could do strafe gymnastics for hours. They wouldn't come down from the ledges, grapple on ceilings and walls like the modern imps, come after you. You could sometimes take them down from a far. No doors usually closed behind and make the level into an arena. It was rather like a survival horror, where you had to explore the next corridor and maybe something was waiting behind the shadows.

My main issue is the player speed, not the monster speed. The monsters are alright, more clever and fast and modernized. If the monsters where like oldschool Doom, maybe it would look ridiculous by todays standards. But they had to give some more speed to the player, not just with power ups.

It kinda works with glorykills though (which I still don't exactly enjoy how forced they are), gives the impression the player is struggling on the battle, not dancing around stupid monsters, but being more equal to them, I understand there was a lot of thought and design process behind what the new Doom is, it plays different than the old Doom, you are not the king of the playground, you struggle with your slower speed an faster monsters, you get back by doing a glorykill or two once and then, waiting for the gates to open after the same repeatitive arena battles.

p.s. It's understandable some players will not like a game proposing arguments that sound so strange. I remember one thought the game was too long, for me that was the crazier thing at the time. Now I read some reviews saying "It's not too metal" or "It's not as violent as I expected" and I am like what?

It's already been compared in videos. Both Doom 2 and Doom 2016 have the same running speed. It's just that theres so many things in the screen and the areas' largeness that it gives the illusion of slowness. And also glory kills arent forced. There are a few medpacks lying around, all it needs is managing them. Glory kills are a casuals' tool for not dying. Most arenas are not really that repetitive since most are harder than the others and require planning before going in as demons in this game are more dangerous than the old ones. If you go the no glory kill path then it's essential that you know the medpack placements.

Sometimes the new Doom feels faster, sometimes it feels slower, not sure why. But even in big areas of the new levels it's ok. Where you see though something is off is playing the easter egg levels. Is the scale too off or is the speed of the player slow? Playing the same levels in classic Doom again you see a vast difference in speed.

I made a video some time ago (me talking while playing is cringe worthy, even when I relisten myself, I am not good at that I realized but forgive that :P) where it shows, it even shows how different the battle with the Cyberdemon is, in old Doom you are dancing around him and can overrun your rockets but be carefull for 1 or 2 rockets can give you a bad day. In new Doom you have hard time moving around him or away, but rockets hit you and you don't die instantly.

I like the new Doom, but definitely it plays quite different than I enjoyed in the old Doom, that fluidity of the player and how you were fighting the monsters like a child's play when you learned mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOnBAPM697I

And thats why the new doom is good. You're not dancing, You trying to survive. It's not just circle strafing anymore since attacks can come from above and below and well...in a sense in the new doom, you are also dancing a complex dance of life and death because the new doom is basically a first person bullet hell shooter.

If it's too hard for you then pick the the lowest difficulty level