Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Specific Things in Doom that Amuse You Greatly

("Specific" meaning that something like "gibbing low-tier monsters" is too broad.)

1) I've been watching Ancalagon's demos of Crumpets, and I'm finding that the sequence of a cluster of revs awakening in unison, emitting their usual burst of noise, and then immediately getting BFG'd into bonedust, the skittling of bones on the direct coccyx-end of the AAAAAAAAAAA!, is fucking hilarious. Revenants get a huge comedic boost over any other monster in this scenario thanks to their entirely obnoxious alert noise.

2) Spider Masterminds have made me laugh simply by existing, but nothing quite beats a MM going kaplow and then dozens of harmless smaller monsters teleporting in on its corpse, as if bursting free from a prison of brain matter. A similar concept: replenishing bosses and hilariously dickish swaps (former human trooper -> cyber).

3) In a map I've been working on, a mancubus teleports via a W1 monster-only line soon after waking up. At first I placed the line(s) right next to the mancubus, so that it warped away almost instantly, far before it could complete its drawn-out alert sound. It was like "guu-[teleport noise]".

4) Encountering a random SS Nazi while playing a seemingly normal level seems to make me laugh at a high rate, particularly when they're mixed in with other monsters, like the mapper just casually decided to put them there. It's like, "Really?" Also on the Wolfenstein theme, the combination of aggressively imposing Hitler iconography and tough slaughter fights makes me chuckle with its unapologetic eschewal of all subtlety.

5) Every once in a while, a chaingunner gets pissed off at a monster it can see but technically can't hit, and what commences is a tireless outpouring of bullets. 'Trons can do this too but, eh, nothing quite beats it when it's one of those stupid dickheads. Bonus points when two chaingunners get into it this way.

Your number 5 reminds me of in Quake when the ogre isn't at the same height as you and it launches a never ending onslaught of grenades that'll never reach you. But that doesn't stop him haha

And I think blasting a Sargent with a shotgun and watching his corpse fall down stairs :)

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

And I think blasting a Sargent with a shotgun and watching his corpse fall down stairs :)

Just what I was going to say. Especially great since this feature was requested specifically by John Romero.

Being invisible and entering a room filled with hitscanner baddies and trying (in a 'DooM-Olympics kind of way) to beat them all without getting a single shot, because you know how DooM handles hitscanners aiming at a blurred player, they kinda just shoot away.. I find it very amusing that this is what id thought would be realism, back in the day.

Good ones in here!

I'll add some:

-Archviles getting into fights with monsters, killing them, resurrecting them, killing them again, etc, which sometimes leads to them being so distracted that they don't seem to notice me slaughtering them.

-Me leaving a room that I didn't realize had an active pain elemental, and coming back to a room clogged up with lost souls.

-Me knocking back a group of floating cacodemons one by one, which makes me feel like I'm playing with balloons (especially if the room is kind of colorful, like in that hall at the beginning of Tricks & Traps).

-When a demon has made enemies with other demons surrounding it and can't focus on attacking one long enough before getting distracted by another, to the point where it just spins around, gets overwhelmed, and dies.

-The sound of a group of revenants dying in rapid succession, especially because they don't sound the way they look like they're dying.

Also, +1 on those dumbass ogres in Quake, especially when their grenades hit them and they just keep on killing themselves.

Sometimes when I'm using the rocket launcher against cacos, a cacodemon goes floating backwards, so I chase after it and get behind it. What becomes quite apparent, however, is that the cacodemon is moving cartoonishly fast. It's almost scary. It's now an actual threat, at least if I intend to finish it off with rockets.

-Running into a pinky and repeatedly backing away, keeping the poor helpless bastard standing in place doing nothing.

-Killing myself with the rocket launcher and a random lost soul

-Endlessly circlestrafing a Revevant rocket

-Leading a Revenant rocket into another enemy to kill it

Literally every time this happens:

I can be having the shittiest day and self-rocketing never fails to cheer me up.

I'm not sure what this states about my general mental health.

Good At Dooming™ is indeed fun, I agree!

During my lunch break earlier today, while playing BTSX E1 MAP06, I fired off a few rockets at an archvile, grabbed a berserk pack and then finished it off with a single punch. That was immensely satisfying and amusing to me.

Also: Any monster/group of monsters + Partial Invisibility.

-Any time I kill a monster that stands on a ledge and its corpse falls down to me. Bonus points if its dropped weapon remains on said ledge, which is overall the opposite of what I want.
-A monster is killed and is sent flying away by a very powerful one.
-I shoot with a rapid-fire weapon a sensitive (i.e. high pain chance) tough monster while standing right in front of it, and just watch it flinch repeatedly without having the change to successfully retaliate. I simply don't move.
-Getting spawn trapped by monsters at the start of a level, forcing me to cheat.
-Seeing the chaingunner defeat stronger opponents. Even better if a chaingunner is defeated by a shotgun guy or zombieman.
-An imp gibs a zombieman.
-Running out of ammo and automatically switching to the rocket launcher only to blast myself dead.
-Generally dying right next to a health power-up.

Some of those are also irritating as well.

When a Mancubus manage to hit a couple of revenants and he knows he's going to be a punchbag for the last few seconds of his life. Happened so many times, I usually find a corner and enjoy the sound of ass kicking or rather ass punching for that matter.

rdwpa said:

5) Every once in a while, a chaingunner gets pissed off at a monster it can see but technically can't hit, and what commences is a tireless outpouring of bullets. 'Trons can do this too but, eh, nothing quite beats it when it's one of those stupid dickheads. Bonus points when two chaingunners get into it this way.

When a Lost Soul charges into a barrel which then explodes and kills it, especially if the barrel was actually behind me and I dodged the Lost Soul's attack to make it hit the barrel.
When 2 monsters kill each other at the same time, or when a monster kills me at the same time as I kill it.
When an Archvile gets killed by a monster he just resurrected.
When an Archvile attack kills me while I'm running and vertically thrusts me to a place that totally wasn't intended to be accessible.

Those shoot to activate switches that have repeatable action checked and when you fire at em with chaingun

THUDTHUDTHUDTHUTHUDTHUDTHUD

the sound is just so.... satisfying for some reason.

Pinkies infighting: they simply are so terrible at it with their delayed attack, that other monsters ignore them for a good while, and provide a comic relief for the player.

Only in Doom v1.1, occasionally you could get treated to Pinkies infighting with other Pinkies. This looked even more comical, esp. if at the end they managed to attack each other in perfect sync, and knock each other out at the same time.

Mancs picking fights with melee monsters: they simply end up moaning uselessly as they get clobbered/scratched to death.

Closing a door in the face of monsters (provided the monsters themselves cannot open it) or trying to keep it closed against them. This gives just enough visual for them to get angry at you and attack, but not for hitting you (if timed right), so you can literally troll the monsters ;-)

Low-tier monsters managing to kill a weakened stronger monster (e.g. Imp vs Baron) esp. if they are just one on one.

Cyberdemons uselessly bombarding the side of ledge you're standing on, while you're headfucking it with the SG/SSG.

Archviles slowly but predictably committing suicide by attacking other monsters at point-blank and getting damaged by their own blasts. Sometimes you can literally sit it out and wait for the "Why..why..why.." to come by itself.

Maes said:

Closing a door in the face of monsters (provided the monsters themselves cannot open it) or trying to keep it closed against them. This gives just enough visual for them to get angry at you and attack, but not for hitting you (if timed right), so you can literally troll the monsters ;-)

Really? I tried holding doors but monsters react to my presses instantly and don't give up until they can go through. Maybe it works differently in some ports...

Monsters open doors as part of their Chase function. Most monsters call this function once per 3 tics or once per 2 tics. If you manage to press use extremely quickly AND with perfect timing, you can theoretically outperform them and make the door closing rather than opening.

Also, if the door is thin and the monster has a melee attack (or just decides to use ranged attack), it will enter its attack animation before stepping through the door, and you can close the door during this animation, as the monster won't try to reopen the door until it finishes its attack and calls Chase again.

Otherwise, the statement that monsters "don't give up until they can go through" is correct, though. Funnily enough, in vanilla, monsters try to open even locked doors, which they can't open, but never give up anyway, and therefore get stuck on the doors until the player goes behind the monsters to make them change direction of movement.

Maes said:

Pinkies infighting: they simply are so terrible at it with their delayed attack, that other monsters ignore them for a good while, and provide a comic relief for the player

This here. It's even funnier when they're trying to fight a Baron or other powerful monster, and when they finaly get noticed, the other monster just turns around and one-hit kill them and go back to attacking you. It's like a person hitting a misbehaving dog with newspaper so he stops distracting them.

I'll mention one here. I find Revenants to be hilarious. Idk y, I think it's the way they move, whenever I fight one I giggle, the first time I confronted them in Doom 2 I just laughed a lot, they look like Tennis players walking and swinging like that! LOL.

Berserk punching a monster up a flight of stairs or out of a window.

rdwpa said:

Sometimes when I'm using the rocket launcher against cacos, a cacodemon goes floating backwards, so I chase after it and get behind it. What becomes quite apparent, however, is that the cacodemon is moving cartoonishly fast. It's almost scary. It's now an actual threat, at least if I intend to finish it off with rockets.

Ahaha something this just happened to me today, was playing a map with a whole lot of infighting and so I was just sitting far away from everything waiting for the chaos to die down a bit. Suddenly, a little ways in the distance in the direction I was facing, a lone cacodemon goes zooming by at Doomguy-like speeds, looking right at me with a big dumb grin on his face. It was hilarious, wish I could have recorded it.

Making a pain elemental embarrassed by approaching her extremely closely. She becomes powerless since she doesn't know how to resist against my childish action.

antares031 said:

Making a pain elemental embarrassed by approaching her extremely closely. She becomes powerless since she doesn't know how to resist against my childish action.

I can just picture the scene, Lmao.