Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Extracting stuff from other wads

How do I extract, using Deepsea, say, a sky or a certain texture from Hell Revealed and put it into Doom2.wad without importing the entire Hell Revealed wad itself? Or extracting weapons sprites from md-icd.wad?

I have tried this on my own numerous times, and last time I managed to turn Doom2 into HR.wad. :(

Why would you want to modify the main wad? It's both a bad idea and completely unneccessary.

I want to know because it's for a level I'm doing. I want to have a gray, cloudy, gloomy looking sky, mainly.

You don't have to replace the sky in the main wad to have a new sky. Just put it in your pwad.

ya, just use Wintex or wut evr editor that u use to take the sky and put in in ur Pwad or the main Iwad if ya want, i find using Wintex is ezer for me than DeePsea, but yet again, im different than most ppl.

DooMBoy said:

How do I extract, using Deepsea, say, a sky or a certain texture from Hell Revealed and put it into Doom2.wad without importing the entire Hell Revealed wad itself? Or extracting weapons sprites from md-icd.wad?

Do as NightMare says, and don't mess with your DooM2.wad. (What would be the point of modifying the IWAD, as you wouldn't be distributing it anyway?) Still, if you wanted to modify the IWAD you wouldn't need to copy all of HR's resources into it. Use DeepSea, WinTex, or XWE to copy and paste only those lumps you wish to use. (Remember that for textures you need to copy patches first, then insert the patches into existing or new textures.)

DooMBoy said:

I want to have a gray, cloudy, gloomy looking sky, mainly.

If you're doing a ZDooM level, remember that ZDooM supports "tall" skies, i.e., 240 units tall.

ReX said:

Do as NightMare says, and don't mess with your DooM2.wad. (What would be the point of modifying the IWAD, as you wouldn't be distributing it anyway?) Still, if you wanted to modify the IWAD you wouldn't need to copy all of HR's resources into it. Use DeepSea, WinTex, or XWE to copy and paste only those lumps you wish to use. (Remember that for textures you need to copy patches first, then insert the patches into existing or new textures.)

It's not the Doom2.wad I want to screw around with, firstly. It's for a level I am doing.
Secondly, I know what to do, but how do I do it?

Sphagne said:

Latest ZDoom support 512 pixels or higher skies! ;)

Woo hoo! You're absolutely right. (I'd forgotten about Jack's really tall skies in XTheater. At this point, though, it appears that only DeepSea supports the insertion of 512 or higher skies, right?)

DooMBoy said:

It's not the Doom2.wad I want to screw around with, firstly. It's for a level I am doing.

Cool, now that we understand you're talking about your PWAD. (Your original post said: "How do I extract ... a ... texture ... and put it into Doom2.wad", and that caused the confusion.)

Secondly, I know what to do, but how do I do it?

First you need to export your sky graphic from the HR wad. Open the HR wad and press your F7 key to open up the lump manager menu. Select Export LUMP to a FILE to open up a new menu. In the left column, scroll down (or use the text window to type the name of your HR sky patch) to the sky -- say RSKY1. Press the LMP button, and when prompted, select the folder into which you want the file to be saved.

Next, open up your PWAD and press your F7 key. Select the Merge-Import Multiple FILES .... button. Select Add Lump Files and browse to the folder in which you had saved your sky graphic as a lump (it would be called rsky1.lmp or whatever the lump name is in HR, unless you had renamed it during the export). Next, select Open Target File (your PWAD), and then Save ALL Files. If your lump name is the same as a DooM2 lump name (e.g., RSKY1), you're all set. If not, then you'll need to insert a PP_START before and PP_END after your sky graphic lump (use Insert Target).

If your lump name is not a DooM2 lump name you'll need to insert the sky patch either into an existing sky texture (SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3), or create a new sky texture (if your PWAD is for a source port that supports additional skies). If you're not using a source port, your best bet is to make sure your lump name is the same as the relevant DooM2 lump name (i.e., RSKY1, RSKY2, or RSKY3). If you insist on using a different lump name, then you'll have to go through the TEXTUREx Name Edit in the lump management menu (F7). I won't go into the explanation here.

NiGHTMARE said:

Rex: you might be able to make 512 tall skies with Tarin's tallsky program.

What's the difference with a normal sky ?
A 512 one looks nicer ?

NiGHTMARE said:

Rex: you might be able to make 512 tall skies with Tarin's tallsky program.

Nope, it only makes them 240 units high. You could do it with Deepsea or relatively easily with a hex editor.

i have a the wad for immoral conduct se and i absoulutly love pretty much everything in it theres just one thing i was like to change i have wintex so how do i go about doing so? id like to change the sprites for the stalk shotgun. Another question can i transfer over that game data and make a wad with all that stuff in it using WadAuthor???

Hey, don't be apologetic, that's what this forum is for (editing questions). Your questions are good ones.

WadAuthor might be able to "transfer over" all data in a wad to a new map, in that you could open the original map, delete the original map architecture and create your own. All sprites, sounds, etc. which were there originally should be left intact.

There might be some restrictions on using work by other people, you should read the text file with the wad in question and see if the author(s) approve. Also, email them if in doubt.

Yes, you could use Wintex to import new sprites for the stock shotgun. You'd need .bmp files and would, for example, select the wad entry "shtga0", go to edit, load entry from file, browse to your new .bmp and import it. Not sure what issues you will run into, you may have to use Wintex also to apply suitable x,y offsets to your new sprites.