Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Most annoying sounds in video games?

Personally I find nothing more annoying than the "Plebs are needed!" quote in Ceasar II which spams repeatably when you do not meet the requirements.

A lot of monster sounds from Heretic. Seriously, Heretic monster sounds are one of the very few things i dislike in that game. They're also repetitive as hell - most monsters seams to have only like 1 idle sound..

Hearing the high pitched, distorted yells of "PSYCHO BAAAAALLL" in any King of Fighters over and over and over.

The Icon of Sin spawning sound. In some custom levels you get to listen to it repeatedly for like 20 minutes while you're running around trying to figure out how to unlock the final room. I hate that so much. People should really start replacing it with a silent sound in their wads.

Also "suck it down" from Duke3D is very annoying but in a good way (really makes you want to kill the bastard).

Oh, and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME I'm deeply sorry.

"Jump, jump!"
"Slide, slide!"

That was just two of the many annoying sounds from Mega Man 8 (who in the bloody FUCK came up with the idea of making the sound of Mega Man landing on the ground sound squishy?!).

* The buzzing sound in Wolfenstein 3D whenever you touch or move against a wall.

* The shoe slipping/squeaking footstep sound or whatever it is in DOOM 3 (step10.ogg).

* This enemy dialog from Wolfenstein 2009:
"What's wrong? Run out of bullets?" (Originally thought they were saying "I'm out of bullets!")
Actually, I'd say all of the Nazis' lines are annoying.

Ok, if you've played Modern Warfare 2, mission Wolverines!, you probably remember this one: throughout the entire mission Sgt. Foley keeps telling Pvt. Ramirez (you, the player) to do absurd amount of stuff. His phrases were so annoying, that they actually turned into a sort of a meme.
Here, take a look (and that's not even the full list):

Sgt. Foley said:

"Ramirez - use your smoke grenades!"
"Ramirez! Come to the alley!"
"Ramirez! we're at the crash site, Get over here!"
"Ramirez - get to the roof and check out the supply drop!"
"Ramirez! Get the ... off the roof!"
"Ramirez! Get over there, and kill that SOB!"
"Ramirez - get the control rig for the UAV!"
"Ramirez, neutralize that enemy armor."
"Ramirez! Take your team and secure Burger Town!"
"Ramirez! We still got hostiles near the Burger Town, we have to move!"
"Ramirez, we got hostiles! Use your Predator Drone control rig to protect Raptor."
"Ramirez! The convoy is just to the south of Burger Town, get your ass over here! Move!"
"Ramirez! We gotta get to the convoy!"

"RAMIREZ! DO EVERYTHING!"

Games where bosses talk and say the same 2 or 3 sound clips over and over again. I think the first game where I ever noticed this was Sonic Adventure...

"GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

Then it happened again, and kept happening in more and more irritating ways, in the last few IGA Castlevanias, to the point where I would mute the game when playing against some of them just to avoid having the same thing said over and over and over.

It's really great when you can cut them off in the middle of saying something too, in which case, they'll often immediately start saying it again, or launch into saying one of their (if you're lucky) 2 or 3 other quips.

Like, seriously. Who the fuck playtests these games, hears this, and doesn't have their ears bleeding from it?

Near death sounds like this:

That seems to have the opposite effect of what was intended. If there's no health around, it almost tempts me to suicide just to make the sound stop.

MetroidJunkie said:

Near death sounds

On a related note, I've heard a lot of people getting irritated by the low-health alert in the Pokémon games. It didn't bother me, but it would've been nice if Game Freak added an option to disable that...

MetroidJunkie said:

That seems to have the opposite effect of what was intended. If there's no health around, it almost tempts me to suicide just to make the sound stop.

haha yeah. I know when I'm at low health so really those repeating "low health beeps" never help at all. Zelda games are very guilty of this too. Speaking of which, Link's grunts are really annoying whenever make him roll.

HavoX said:

On a related note, I've heard a lot of people getting irritated by the low-health alert in the Pokémon games. It didn't bother me, but it would've been nice if Game Freak added an option to disable that...

Should've kept Black and White's method for it, turning it into a whole song.

When I used to play Unreal Tournament on InstaGib with bots, I'd rack up kill-chains pretty quick, to the point where I'd keep hearing, "M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!" over and over and over. Got annoying and kind of discouraged me from continuing my winning streak.

+1 on "plebs are needed!" in Caesar II. I haven't played the game in years, but I think I had a copy of it that was buggy, because it would make that message even when I did send plebs to whatever task was needed. That, coupled with some other things, just made me want to quit the game and not bother.

Gonna side with those who mention any game where the protagonist you play as has dialogue while you're playing. The grand theft auto games are unplayable for me. Simpsons games suck. Duke 3D can be annoying sometimes too. I'm the one with the controller. Keep your mouth shut and dont do anything I dont tell you to do.

40oz said:

I'm the one with the controller. Keep your mouth shut and dont do anything I dont tell you to do.

amen to that

^^ I dunno, i always found it funny. Especially when like 10 or more kamikazes are running at you and their screams are echoing.. that's beautiful..

Any Street Fighter announcer, except SSF2 and SSF2T/X as the announcers in these aren't annoying, the Alpha series and SSFIV up to USFIV take the icing on the cake.

That horrible sound every time you touch a wall in Catacomb / Wolfenstein 3D.

The voice taunts the bots in Unreal Torunament 2003/2004 play frequently.

"And stay down!!!" - "Anyone else want some?!" - "Kiss my ass!!" ...

The dubbed versions in the German localisation are even more annyoing because they sound so forced.

Here are some contenders:

Doom - Plasma rifle fire
Heretic - The "claw cannon" (??) fire
Street Fighter 2 (original) - Sagat's special attack (which he uses all the time)
Starcraft - "We require more vespene gas" // "Our forces are under attack"

Quasar said:

Games where bosses talk and say the same 2 or 3 sound clips over and over again.

World of Warcraft was generally okay about mixing up its boss sound cues; a frequently used ability might have a few different dialogue fragments that get picked from at random, or the boss might stagger its ability use

Then along comes the Icecrown Citadel raid in Wrath of the Lich King. For the second-to-last boss you've got Sindragosa the Frostbrood Queen. What does she cast all the goddamn time? Arcane Backlash.

"Suffer, mortals, as your pathetic magic betrays you!"

I was so sick of hearing her rasp that out, over and over, by the time we finally downed her.

Arctangent said:

Should've kept Black and White's method for it, turning it into a whole song.

that makes me want to hear something similar in a Metroid game, turning the beeping into a song. though that might be annoying and distracting in certain cases.

Doomhuntress said:

that makes me want to hear something similar in a Metroid game, turning the beeping into a song. though that might be annoying and distracting in certain cases.

How about ditching the beeps altogether and just have a more frantic version of the music that's playing when you're low health? Meteos on the DS had something like this.

At the beginning is the music that plays normally. One minute in, it's the music that plays when you're starting to get in trouble. Two minutes in, you're near death. There are also other ways to audibly and verbally communicate low health. Some games have the character audibly panting, some early 90's games like Doom had a status bar that got progressively more battered, others still use a red tint on the screen. There are so many non-beeping ways to signal low health.

"GET A LOAD OF THIS! G-G-GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

DOOM's Plasma Rifle sound, I prefer PSX DOOM/DOOM 64's Plasma Rifle sound.