Theory for new DOOM Story

DaRedneckGamer said:

I'm going to say this one last time. Doom 2016 is in its own timeline

Doom 3-2145
Doom RoE-2147
Doom 1&2-2148
Final Doom-2148
Doom 64-2148

So tell me, where does Doom 2016 fit in that time line if Doomslayer was found in 2145 and the events begin on 2149? Hell even the Doom RPG website confirmed that Doom 1-3 are in the same timeline.

Doom RPG website? is that even legit? Doom 1 and 2 has no clear information on the date the invasion happened.

Doom 3 was never intended to be a sequel or prequel. It was an attempt to transition the original story to a more modern aspect. In a sense, It's its own game and story. While In Doom 2016, The developers clearly states that this game is a prequel. You questioning and denying the developers is very ignorant since you keep insisting otherwise. We did not write the story, we're just putting together pieces so that we can assume a theory. The writer cleverly incorporated and referenced the previous games so it gave us more to think on.

Remember, we're just theorizing...let's not delve into fan fiction.

DaRedneckGamer said:

I'm going to say this one last time. Doom 2016 is in its own timeline

Doom 3-2145
Doom RoE-2147
Doom 1&2-2148
Final Doom-2148
Doom 64-2148

So tell me, where does Doom 2016 fit in that time line if Doomslayer was found in 2145 and the events begin on 2149? Hell even the Doom RPG website confirmed that Doom 1-3 are in the same timeline.

Doom Rpg is another universe, that ties with Doom 2 Rpg and Wolf Rpg and those games are far from canon.

Doom 1, 3 are parallel. They are about the first contact with Hell. In 2016 is quite clear that UAC been exploiting hell for a long time. Even they have a Demon Outbreak alarm. While in Doom 1 and 3 they were not sure if those were demons or aliens.

Look in the Necropolis you see the remains of the Icon of Sin, that alone is enough to see that this happens after Doom 2 most likely after 64.

As Marty said, this Is a origin story, this Is before DOOM 1 and 2. One of the data logs even mentioned Deimos and Phobos, this game took place on Mars and Hell.

This Doom Slayer might be a entirely different marine, who knows, really.

I mean, Pfft, It could even be possible to erase Doomguy's memory If Samuel Hayden wanted to and just turn him out to be a normal marine (It's a generic theory, I even know that). If It's possible for Samuel to pretty much just use the Tether Activation and make Doomguy/Doom Slayer get shocked and stuck In place, then he can have a chance to erase everything Doom Slayer's known and have him turn out to be a "normal marine".

I know this theory Is shitty, but It makes sense when Marty says this Is before DOOM 1 and 2.

Tritnew said:

As Marty said, this Is a origin story, this Is before DOOM 1 and 2. One of the data logs even mentioned Deimos and Phobos, this game took place on Mars and Hell.

This Doom Slayer might be a entirely different marine, who knows, really.

I mean, Pfft, It could even be possible to erase Doomguy's memory If Samuel Hayden wanted to and just turn him out to be a normal marine (It's a generic theory, I even know that). If It's possible for Samuel to pretty much just use the Tether Activation and make Doomguy/Doom Slayer get shocked and stuck In place, then he can have a chance to erase everything Doom Slayer's known and have him turn out to be a "normal marine".

I know this theory Is shitty, but It makes sense when Marty says this Is before DOOM 1 and 2.

Where did Marty say this? And where are deimos and phobos mentioned ingame?

I think players are trying too hard to match this with other games in the series. It is just a reboot with retconned lore. An origin story doesnt mean it has to tie in with doom 1 and 2. There is lots of room for prequels and sequels anyhow.

massivefanofdoom said:

I think players are trying too hard to match this with other games in the series. It is just a reboot with retconned lore. An origin story doesnt mean it has to tie in with doom 1 and 2. There is lots of room for prequels and sequels anyhow.

On interviews. Go and watch some of the interviews on youtube. I think It was gamespot.

massivefanofdoom said:

I said Data Logs, If you take the time to read some Artifact, Weapon, Demon and Personnel data logs you can see some nods to DOOM 1.

Tritnew said:

As Marty said

When did he say that ? Even if he did it doesn't mean things won't change in Final game, I Mean it's pretty obvious there were several references to Doom 3 .

Maybe the events of Doom '16 happen after Doom 3 ROE Events, After defeating betruger UAC Returns to the Tomb and retrieve Doomslayer's sarcophagus without being aware that he was the "legendary warrior" (who's feared by demons) and bother the demons .

The only thing that is missing is "Why didn't Doom 3 Marine inform UAC about what happened", If he did then maybe it's right, The game's storyline is no way related to Doom 3 (a reboot with a different plot) .

The people that went to Quakecon 2014 and wrote some articles stated It was a origin story.

Maybe they did change It, but you gotta remember this Is a reboot too and It's staying away from DOOM 3 and the other games In this case.

Again, I said my theory was generic In some way, but It has been stated It was a origin story. Maybe my memory Is foggy, but damn do I remember It being said.

Tritnew said:

I said Data Logs, If you take the time to read some Artifact, Weapon, Demon and Personnel data logs you can see some nods to DOOM 1.

I know, but which data log mentions phobos and deimos? I have seen the nod to tower of babel fx, are you mentioning that? And if anything, that would mean this is a sequel to doom1/2

I forgot, I might have to check It out whenever I can (It's way too late at night, mind you).

But I DO remember a different data log talking about Phobos and Deimos, so In some way It proves this DOOM Is a prequel.

Tritnew said:

Yup, as I said. DOOM 2016 Is a origin story, so It's BEFORE the first Invasions on Phobos and Deimos.

The question Is, what happens to Doomguy after that cliffhanger?

Umm, with your theory he ends up on phobos and deimos ....

Tritnew said:

I forgot, I might have to check It out whenever I can (It's way too late at night, mind you).

But I DO remember a different data log talking about Phobos and Deimos, so In some way It proves this DOOM Is a prequel.

OK if you do find it, let me know please.

I just dont see why id would do another game with the same setting (Mars) instead of going to Earth (doom 2) or all in hell (prequel) now. It makes no sense. To me Doom 2016 is just a reboot with its own timeline. Having phobos and deimos might not be as practical as in the first game where we had an episode structure. Plus phobos and deimos and inferno had hell knight, cybie and spider bosses which are all in this game.

It only seems logical earth is next, with icon of sin - like doom 2. Icon of sin is dormant not dead, and that is offical in the game files (the codex entry tier 3 ufc staff - the icon of sin is dormant waiting for the 'Call of Ages').

I'm aware of the ending of DOOM 64, but wasn't It... You know, made by Midway In supervision of Id, I mean, Id could've helped a bit with the story but still, PSX DOOM and DOOM 64 are different from the original DOOM on PC.

It does make sense to have DOOM 2016 continue from DOOM 64, but considering that Doom Slayer Is a different character, and basically Is a Hell Warrior, and the game referencing Phobos and Deimos (will get the source of It later, but It could just be a reference), then It's a prequel to DOOM 1 and 2.

These are all just theories though, until Id releases a DLC.

Hey guys, been a lurker for quite a while and been reading this thread a fair bit. I ended up joining to post that i got th uac edition and in the handbook there's an advertisement to go to the uac's next adventure and station on Phobos. I'm at work at the moment so I can't remember exactly how it's worded but I'll post when I get home tomorrow. To me it showed straight away doom 2016 was a prequel as Phobos hadn't happened yet

Tritnew said:

As Marty said, this Is a origin story,

No it isn't.

There's a dead Icon of Sin in the game. That pretty clearly tells us when this thing is happening. It ain't before the rest.

Tritnew said:

It does make sense to have DOOM 2016 continue from DOOM 64, but considering that Doom Slayer Is a different character, and basically Is a Hell Warrior, and the game referencing Phobos and Deimos (will get the source of It later, but It could just be a reference), then It's a prequel to DOOM 1 and 2.

It mentions all these things as ALREADY HAVING HAPPENED... Yet you somehow think it's a PREQUEL? No. It isn't a prequel, or an origin story.

Yeah and even the Icon of sin is in the NECROPOLIS. And for those that don't know, Necropolis mean this "a cemetery, especially a large one belonging to an ancient city."

That Icon of Sin is an easter egg. It doesn't relate to the story of the game(but to the series).

Think of Doom 2016. Now remove all the easter eggs.
Now think of the story.

I think what Marty meant by Doom 2016 being an "origin" game was that it would provide a new background for the series going forward, having the Doomguy elevated into some nigh-immortal supernatural force via his battles in Hell and interaction with Argent D'Nur. In other words, we should expect future parts of the series to follow on from this point in terms of gameplay mechanics and story, and not get a reboot every other game. At least, I would really like to see that pan out.

Anyway I have to again agree with the majority; the sheer number of references to events from the other games in the series prove they happen before this one.

Hey again, so it's a big fill page add

'in search of new horizons?
Join the uac R&D team today
Currently accepting new applications
PHOBOS
see Ur local administrator for details'

Has a picture of phobos in the middle.

So not quite as I remembered.

There's also one for tei tenga

'uncover the future on tei tenga
Take part in the making of history
Join the uaaf
See ur local administrator for details'

I'll have another quick read through when I get a chance and see if there is anything else interesting considering it was advertised as an intro to uac and full of lore

Hmm, the Gauss Cannon's history states that It was used by miners on Deimos and Phobos.

I'm not stating this could be a prequel full on, though. I even said my theory Is generic and shit and will not be agreed with on some extent.

All of It could be a easter egg, all of It could mean that this DOOM Is a prequel hidden In a reboot, or It could be a sequel of DOOM 64 hidden In a reboot. But considering that DOOM 64 was made by Midway Including PSX DOOM and that company Is LONG gone, I'm pretty sure Id would forget DOOM 64, at least the newer members would.

This Is where my mind goes to "What the Fuck" when DOOM 64 Is mentioned In a theory and that the game Is continuing that storyline, because It makes sense while at the same time... It just, doesn't.

Quasar said:

I think what Marty meant by Doom 2016 being an "origin" game was that it would provide a new background for the series going forward, having the Doomguy elevated into some nigh-immortal supernatural force via his battles in Hell and interaction with Argent D'Nur. In other words, we should expect future parts of the series to follow on from this point in terms of gameplay mechanics and story, and not get a reboot every other game. At least, I would really like to see that pan out.

Anyway I have to again agree with the majority; the sheer number of references to events from the other games in the series prove they happen before this one.

This pretty much mirrors my opinion on the subject.

Some one else said something bout Doom64 being made by Midway under id supervision. Would it be so hard to believe that Doom2016 was done the same way, made by Bethesda under id supervision putting it in a completely different timeline. Something along the lines of Doomslayer is found before the events of Doom 3 and somewhere the story branches off into a different timeline where Doom marine(B.J. III) dies after his battle with the cyber demon(meaning the events of Doom1 and Doom2 dont happen) and after cleaning up mars base. Shortly after they bring doomslayer to mars from hell creating another invasion. In turn creating the "Bethesda" timeline that would run parallel to the "id" timeline

I'm pretty sure bethesda is just the publisher and id was the one who worked in the game, sure they hired certain affinity as a mistake but I think that was to experiment on whether people are into old school shooters or newer kinds of shooters so they had to gamble

was used by miners on Deimos and Phobos

WAS, WAS, it's still possible Deimos is floating above hell, and is Argent D'Nur (aka Deimos scientists colluded with hell, military leaders didn't, a bunch of marines tried to fight the Demons, and Deimos was transported to hell, and became "Argent D'Nur" Doomguy met with the remnant marines, and became their leader.

It's outright possible that it isn't 2148, more likely it's that because of D2, FD and 64, the year became forgotten, and they only believe it to be 2148.

Phobos

I see only Phobos has been outright mentioned, any mentions/references to Deimos that suggests it still exists? (Although it is possible Doomguy or someone was able to send Deimos back to his/their dimension, after the events of D1)

HellVain said:

I'm pretty sure bethesda is just the publisher and id was the one who worked in the game, sure they hired certain affinity as a mistake but I think that was to experiment on whether people are into old school shooters or newer kinds of shooters so they had to gamble

They probably chose Certain Affinity for the modern shooter aspects of mp. Granted I think they should have probably just kept one style of mp as the hybrid like thing they have going for it still just feels weird to me (or at least made modes that stick with a more classic variation of the mp modes).

Just heard something interesting, Samuel said "I won't let you stand in OUR way, who else is he referring to in terms of the word our?

I'm starting to think that Sammy is a lot darker than we currently think, for example, when you're being tethered from hell to Sam at the end of the game, you hear a demonic voice speaking some gibberish but this voice all of a sudden begins to sound like Samuel. Even Samuels face gives the illusion of some form of horns

Even if he wasn't demonic, why did he let the cult rise to such great lengths? I mean seriously, in the Lazarus labs you can see demonic writing on the floors and wars, replacing normal human English deliberately as an effort to adopt the demon culture into our own (these writings weren't in blood, rather they were etched into the structures when they were built), why would Samuel let this happen if he wasn't ok with demons?

XLightningStormL said:

WAS, WAS, it's still possible Deimos is floating above hell, and is Argent D'Nur (aka Deimos scientists colluded with hell, military leaders didn't, a bunch of marines tried to fight the Demons, and Deimos was transported to hell, and became "Argent D'Nur" Doomguy met with the remnant marines, and became their leader.

It's outright possible that it isn't 2148, more likely it's that because of D2, FD and 64, the year became forgotten, and they only believe it to be 2148.

I see only Phobos has been outright mentioned, any mentions/references to Deimos that suggests it still exists? (Although it is possible Doomguy or someone was able to send Deimos back to his/their dimension, after the events of D1)

Pretty sure deimos has nothing to do with argent d'nur. Argent is slayer's city and the night sentinels and wraiths.

I prefer to think this is a reboot with its own timeline and everything, and origin story means we have a retconned lore as basis for at least 2 sequels, as others suggested.

As we've been saying before... I wish It could connect to DOOM 64 In some way, but I know It wouldn't work.

As for Samuel, I think there's something a little darker under his wires. I expected that he'd betray Doom Slayer, but what BluePineapple said Is something I didn't really pay attention to.

Hell, one of the screens with the pictures of some bases In the Advance Research Complex says "Hail The Dark Lord", you think Samuel would be a little... Concerned, about that?