Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Most annoying sounds in video games?

Most of the monster roars in the Dead Space games have this effect on me.

UUUUUUUUUURRRRAAAAAGH

Nope, not scary, just annoying.

The entirety of Hercules on Gameboy Color is an annoying sound.

Literally any announcer in any Doom sourceport or mod EVER. They're obnoxious as fuck. It's like, thanks for telling me all this obvious shit that's already displayed on my screen in a loud obnoxious voice, jackass. Super unfitting in Doom, always turn them off immediately.

Low health sound in old Zelda games, as well as the Pokemon games as mentioned. Once again, thanks for making a loud ass never ending siren go off. That really increases my enjoyment of the game, since I totally can't just use my damn eyeballs to find out how much health I have.

I know very little about CoD but the dialogue is repetitive as fuck in one of them. Every 20 seconds that Russian dickhead asking if I know how to say 'owned' in Russian. It's an understatement to say that got very old very fast.

Most games that are good have very few of these, though. I can't really think of any others at the moment.

"Where did you learn to fly?"

I heard that way too many times playing Cybermorph when I was younger. I'm also possibly the only one on this forum to have had a Jaguar when it was still new-ish.

GoatLord said:

Every last line spoken by every character in any Sonic game utilizing voice acting.

This

Tritnew said:

"GET A LOAD OF THIS! G-G-GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

DOOM's Plasma Rifle sound, I prefer PSX DOOM/DOOM 64's Plasma Rifle sound.

I completely agree with this. The original firing sound for the plasma gun is very grating. I very much prefer the PSX sound, it's so smooth.

I remember in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds the deathsound of Royal Naboo infantrymen could be grating as fuck. "YO-HA-HAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEeeegghh" over and over again.

You can hear it repeat a bit starting 18:22 in this video. You can imagine how annoying it gets after a while.

The low health warning sound in Comix Zone.

...Correction, almost every "low on health" sound drives me nuts.

Pedro VC said:

Everything Lo Wang says in both Shadow Warrior games.

Fixed It for ya. Though, he's a bit of a better character In the new reboot, but still.

yukib1t said:

"Where did you learn to fly?"

Oh, yeah, i remember watching AVGN episode on Jaguar and the Nerd was so annoyed by this phrase.. One of my favourite AVGN episodes btw.

Ok, today i realised how much i hate when stock sounds are used in video games. Heretic is the worst offender in this case, followed by Gothic (sounds are one of the very few things i dislike about that game). Doom also uses too much stock sounds, but their usage in Doom doesn't really annoy me for some reason..
Also, as much as i dislike PSX Doom sounds, atleast they actually made their own sounds and didn't use the stock ones..

Guest Unregistered account

I especially dislike near-death sounds in NES games because they interupt sound channels.

Come to think of it, I also really dislike the "secret found" sound (and message) in various Doom ports. It always bugged me that I couldn't turn it off AFAIK.

yukib1t said:

Come to think of it, I also really dislike the "secret found" sound (and message) in various Doom ports. It always bugged me that I couldn't turn it off AFAIK.

I think in the latest version of ZDoom you can disable the YOU FOUND A SECRET sound/message. It's somewhere in the options menu.

Piper Maru said:

I think in the latest version of ZDoom you can disable the YOU FOUND A SECRET sound/message. It's somewhere in the options menu.

Thank. GOD.

I always hated that sound and message.

Wovenloaf said:

I remember in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds the deathsound of Royal Naboo infantrymen could be grating as fuck. "YO-HA-HAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEeeegghh" over and over again.

You can hear it repeat a bit starting 18:22 in this video. You can imagine how annoying it gets after a while.

Holy shit this cracked me up, and reminded me of this gem from the first Mass Effect:

I can understand the use of some unpopular stock sounds, but why would people use e.g. the original sound of Doom doors if it already appears in thousands of works? It just draws unwanted parallels and temporarily distracts the audience (instead of absorbing the atmosphere you're remembering other movies and thinking about the production process). Sound directors should be more careful with this stuff. In some 90's fantasy anime there was a magical sword that had the Star Wars lightsaber SFX, and it seemed so out of place.

Every time a stock sound Is used on a commercial or show of sorts, It always just alerts me all the time.

Ze Doomz hes went Into ze brains.

True...I can't watch any movie or show that has camels in it without hearing imps.

Super Street Fighter 2 for the Genesis: all Vega's sounds. ALL OF THEM. His claw has a cartoonish, pathetic, "chee" sound. His screams -- oh god. As if he had a helium-breathing ritual before every battle.

I was going to say navi's "HEY!" But really any npc bitching at me to do something or hurry.

Piper Maru said:

The roar from The Battlelord in Duke Nukem 3D.

Yeah that sound was irritating... I swear its from a generic Hollywood soundboard. Have heard it in crappy movies.

DekuMemer said:

honestly, the worst one in my opinion is the low health beeping sound from almost every zelda game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7k6_hpMkg

sorry if the video doesn't show up im new to using forums

To embed your video, just put tags like this: [yt] before the url and [/ yt] directly after the url. (Remove the space from [/ yt])

Agreed with those already saying the plasma gun from Doom. Fortunately, I modded it out with a much better sound.