Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Then and Now

Now that the game's finally out, I think it'd be interesting to look back at the E3 presentation and see just how much the game has changed in a year:

From this, it's clear just how much of this presentation was 'gussied up' with scripted events/things added into the level for the sake of demonstration. But other than that, here's a few of the obvious differences I noticed.
    FOUNDRY:
    •Hud lacks coloring
    •Imps are entirely different, resembling scrawny Hell Knights and lacking any coloration
    •No rune on the Marine's helmet, instead an F-90 insignia sits in its place
    •Fire jet from 2:48 is removed in the final
    •Lighting seems far more yellowish/greenish
    •Game as a whole seems far darker
    •Notes that are found on the floor near the hand scanner in the final are not present here
    •Hand scanner terminal is slightly different, has a yellow coloration, is blood-spattered, and the Z-sec easter egg itself has slightly different wording/design.
    •An Echo Device is present, having been replaced with a simple screen activation in the final
    •The corpse the hand is retrieved from is in a completely different area
    •"Access denied" voice is not present
    •Classic map door is not present
    •Chainsaw Glory Kills are a lot longer
    •The SSG and Chainsaw are not found on these maps in the final
    •The multiplayer victory music is playing during the chainsaw segment for some reason
    •Suit has a "glitching out" effect when being killed by the revenant (not in the final?)
    •Monster aggression seems to be extremely low (for presentation's sake?) at this point; the player is moving at a speed that seems like it would lead to instant death if it were the final
I can't afford the game so I can't verify for myself and had to go off of YouTube videos, so if anyone could provide further clarification I would be much grateful. I'll post more later once I've combed through the second bit of footage in the video.

I would have expected someone to have made a comparison video by now, trying to play the Foundry level as closely as possible to the E3 demo. Or maybe someone has and I haven't seen it?

Doors do not have that Dead Space like holographic information that they are locked.
Is there only one type of ammo pickup that is universal?

Nah, they changed it in the final game. You can distinguish each seperate "box" of ammo. shotgun shells are in shell boxes, there's boxes of bullets, plasma packs, rocket "container thingies" etc. BFG is weird though, it has its own ammo.

The AI is way more active. The possessed soldiers move around a lot more, everything is way more aggressive and chaotic.

Just thinking.

Before it was F-90. Could that mean that Doomguy was originally a man at least, fighting for humanity? Now that its a sigil, with barely any writing, it seems like its foreign(it is, just thinking in 3rd person), meaning Doomguy *ahem* Doomslayer is foreign.

The music during the Foundry battle segments before the chainsaw section was replaced in the final game. The multiplayer/chainsaw area music is also gone even in that mode and the only remainder is a 5 second loop when you win a match.
The Hell level had its music changed too and only a different version remained that plays during the Hell Guardians battle.

The level structure is different but they were probably patched together for the E3 showing since I doubt they were complete or bug-free back then.

I think that animation where the imp seems to crawl along the ground after getting its legs shot off at 5:13 is gone in the final game.

The ammo pick-ups all used the same universal ammo pick-up from multiplayer despite giving individual ammo. Probably a placeholder.

Colors are slightly more muted in general. You can tell by looking at the Doomguy's hand model.

Some of the glory/chainsaw kills play faster in the final game or were cut short. A few were relegated to be exclusive to the Berserk power-up.

Glory kills gave a ton of pick-ups. I'm sure this was done for the presentation though.

I want to say the Revenant's missile barrage at 18:50 doesn't last that long in the final game. I probably never noticed though.

Before it was F-90. Could that mean that Doomguy was originally a man at least, fighting for humanity? Now that its a sigil, with barely any writing, it seems like its foreign(it is, just thinking in 3rd person), meaning Doomguy *ahem* Doomslayer is foreign.

During the alpha leak if you loaded the Singleplayer in a multiplayer map the Doomguy had a completely different player model pre-suit. So unless that was a placeholder, maybe his origins changed early on during development.

MrSkeltal said:

I think that animation where the imp seems to crawl along the ground after getting its legs shot off at 5:13 is gone in the final game.

I can confirm it made it to the final game, it freaked the shit out of me when i was shot by a crawling imp !

I freaked out as well after blasting the upper body of a baron and his legs kept walking a couple of steps towards me O.o

MrSkeltal said:

I want to say the Revenant's missile barrage at 18:50 doesn't last that long in the final game. I probably never noticed though.

It's there but with 6 missiles only..

bioshockfan90 said:

Nah, they changed it in the final game. You can distinguish each seperate "box" of ammo. shotgun shells are in shell boxes, there's boxes of bullets, plasma packs, rocket "container thingies" etc. BFG is weird though, it has its own ammo.

This was always the case, they just made the pickup models more distinct. In the old videos, the MP-style yellow ammo boxes had different symbols on them, shells and bullets etc.

Cyberdemon obviously not located in hell like in the E3 trailer. This pissed me off twofolds for the reason that you never face Cyberdemon anywhere else besides the Lazarus area. (and classic)

So this screenshot (along any other with Cyberdemon teamed with other demons) is a total lie.

Rule one of game marketing: Trust nothing. The material is designed to sell you the game, not necessarily exactly spell out the arrangement of things in the game.

Same with movie trailers. Trailers are cut specifically to get the idea across, and they generally sequence-break to fuck in order to make a good impression.

I think the new version of the game Is more vibrant and colorful, while the 2014 Quakecon version Is more gritty and dark, but still has the feel the final version has.

I'm mostly going by how It looked, not really on the rest.

Also:

Then- the HAR Tactical Scope woul darken the area around the circle when it is being used and zoom in wasn't that much.
Now- the darkness is removed and zooms in better.

Potatoguy said:

Cyberdemon obviously not located in hell like in the E3 trailer. This pissed me off twofolds for the reason that you never face Cyberdemon anywhere else besides the Lazarus area. (and classic)

So this screenshot (along any other with Cyberdemon teamed with other demons) is a total lie.
http://4d663a369f9f03c3c61e-870e77779efd63f7bd6c2ee08d8cfae6.r2.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/o7k8ppI_q6cF.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg

But the second half of the Cyberdemon takes place in hell after it gets revived.

Man, I really love all the beta vs final stuff in gaming.
Speaking of Doom, I really miss classic Doom door sounds in final. Also don't like final imp design at all with that lizard face.

Keep in mind, an enemy variant of the cyberdemon does exist in the game in the Tower of Babel secret stage, so I'm still thinking it's possible it was gonna be in the later hell levels.

Then-the suit calibration took a few seconds to finish.

Now- the suit calibration is only one second.