Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OneManArmy

Hello Doomers, I'm the new newbie!

I cant believe i hadnt found this site until now! Finally a place to talk Doom only. I've been playing this game since it got out, and ive loved it ever since. Im not a very skilled player (never made it through Plutonia) but still i like to try new wads i find on the net.

BTW, which do you think is the best source port out there? Ive been using jDoom with great results, and Boom & Legacy didnt look as good.

Well, see ya around!

it was a joke...assuming you play it on UV or Nightmare, who in their right mind would attempt to beat it with ideas of succeeding?

COOL - A NEW MEMBER! FINALLY! REJOICE!

- welcome -

Well, Plutonia and Evilution have some pretty hard maps, ecpecially when played on UV or Nightmare, but carry on.

There are many other ports for Doom, just hop over to Doomworld´s source port section, they are all there :)

Plutonia is still a good challenge - nothing to be ashamed of if you have problems with it. Among 32-level megawads, only Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta are clearly tougher than it. If you need some inspiration, you can take a look at some Plutonia demos over at compet-N.

I second all of Lutarez's recommendations (perhaps Icarus is the gentlest to start with). If you play all those, you'll probably return to Plutonia at some point and find it easier than you expected.

If your system is up to it, then jDoom is great. The latest beta of Legacy (version 1.32 beta 5) is also well worth checking out though: some nice features and not too bad on the eye candy either. All the major source ports have their pluses though: PrBoom (purity), Zdoom (many advanced features), Eternity (ditto), etc. Try them out (be sure to get the latest version of each) and see which you like best.

Edit: Railgunner's right: strafing (and straferunning) is very important if you want to beat the tougher maps on UV. Having said that, I got as far as map 16 of HR while I was still a never-strafing keyboarder a few years ago.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

assuming you play it on UV or Nightmare, who in their right mind would attempt to beat it with ideas of succeeding?

Me. I do it on UV with -fast, starting from a pistol start on each level.

Greetings Mortal. Are you ready to die?

It had to be done...

Anyways, welcome OneManArmy. My you live long, post lots and not get on everyone's nerves.

Lutarez said:

Here are some recommendations for Doom 2:

Alien Vendetta || The Darkening E2
Hell Revealed || Icarus
Momento Mori I || Momento Mori II
Requiem || STRAIN

There are plenty of others out there, especially for Ultimate Doom, but I'll stop here.

Alien Vendetta is a bit too hard for a newb in my humble opinion.

One of the greatest wads for totally green doomers is Memento Mori 2. The difficulty increases gradually and it's a pretty all-round experience with plenty of different challenges.

The same can be said of the excellent 2002ado.wad. This one is for Ultimate Doom.

Little Faith said:

Alien Vendetta is a bit too hard for a newb in my humble opinion.

He didn't say he was a newb to Doom, just to Doomworld. But yes, if the guy's finding Plutonia too tough, AV probably isn't the best thing to try instead! Agree about 2002ado, though episode 3 gets a bit murderous in places.

BBG: I'll e-mail you the strain.wad and strain.deh if you supply an address that can definitely receive a 5 meg zip file.

Well, I'm probably a bit biased in all this but "Eternal Doom" is a great set of maps as well. All the others are great too, I've played them all and it's all good.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Grazza said:

He didn't say he was a newb to Doom, just to Doomworld. But yes, if the guy's finding Plutonia too tough, AV probably isn't the best thing to try instead! Agree about 2002ado, though episode 3 gets a bit murderous in places.

BBG: I'll e-mail you the strain.wad and strain.deh if you supply an address that can definitely receive a 5 meg zip file.

foxstang1@bluefrognet.net

Ultimate DooMer said:

Me. I do it on UV with -fast, starting from a pistol start on each level.

damn...I gotta try that...it's been forever since I played Plutonia

OneManArmy said:

I
BTW, which do you think is the best source port out there? Ive been using jDoom with great results, and Boom & Legacy didnt look as good.

zdoom is the best. I program all my wads with zdoom. Anyway, a good wad is "Icarus". I loved much it!

i really enjoy using edge with the immoral conduct weapons packs doom legacy had alot of good feature to but u said you wernt to fond of legacy

I've actualy never beaten Doom 2. I blame it on D! and Nirvana* mostly.

*EDIT: The level, not the band. It's actualy partialy because of Nirvana (the band) that I began playing Doom seriously instead of just jackin' around with D!.

Epyo said:

zdoom is the best. I program all my wads with zdoom. Anyway, a good wad is "Icarus". I loved much it!

Just one little comment: map 24 of Icarus features deliberate use of the Arch-Vile bug. Many source ports (e.g. Zdoom and Legacy) have "fixed" this "bug", and so the level will not play as the authors originally intended (it will be far easier). It plays correctly in jDoom, but the fact that you can aim rockets at the ground still makes the ghosts easier to deal with than intended. PrBoom plays it as intended though (you can turn the AV bug on or off).

Welcome aboard soldier,
don't start shouting (i.e. using capslock) if someone pokes fun of you or your views on this forum.

Follow the rules (read the FAQ).

And if someone criticizes you, think carefully about whether the person is justified in doing so or not before you reply (sometimes it is best just to ignore it).

Hope you have a great time.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

damn...I gotta try that...it's been forever since I played Plutonia

Well, all the levels are possible from a pistol start (as in reasonable weapon access and loads of ammo). I think I'll play with ZDooM next time, so I can play it with 'real' fast monsters instead of doom2.exe's half-version of -fast. (as it has the speed increase, but not the reaction/fire rate increase)