Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kuchitsu

[solved] Midi question (noise/wind?)

Sounds more like there's distortion/clipping going on, which seems weird for a MIDI file to have. It can happen if there are too many loud instruments layered on top of one another, as in a few of Equinox's tracks like the title theme and MAP12, but I never heard it happening in this track while playing in-game.

Do you happen to be using midi gain? I had the gain value boosted from before I started using the coolsoft virtual midi sync and that distorted a lot of stewboy's midis, because they're so heavy on layers.

I'm not sure if this is related, but on my previous computer I noticed that I could definitely hear wind blowing in maps that had no music in GZDoom, despite also lacking any sort of ambient sound that could also cause it. Not sure if it's entirely related, but maybe it's some sort of setting in a shared audio library?

Not sure what midi gain is... I think I'm using whatever is default in Windows XP. Tried SDL and Portmidi players in prboom-plus settings with similar results (except Portmidi is very quiet so I have to set the music volume to max).

I'll try this Coolsoft thing.

Sounds like you have a very high MIDI and/or mic-in or line-in monitoring gain in your mixer settings, causing noise.

Jimmy said:

Sounds more like there's distortion/clipping going on, which seems weird for a MIDI file to have. It can happen if there are too many loud instruments layered on top of one another, as in a few of Equinox's tracks like the title theme and MAP12, but I never heard it happening in this track while playing in-game.

Equinox's tracks are incredibly, horribly loud for whatever reason. ny guess is that B.P.R.D had poor audio equipment and just boosted everything in the track to max volume, as well as max note velocity, on certain tracks, which makes them uncomfortably loud. could probably do with some volume rebalancing IMO. FMOD is a particularly egregious example, since the sound gets audibly distorted on many of the tracks in the mod.

edit: as for the sample OP posted, does your audio peak when you listen to it? sounds like whatever your audio settings are, they're way too high, causing the music to peak and become distorted.

I installed CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth and that solved my problem. Thanks dew! I guess I'll like stewboy's midis even more now. :)

At was first used in FranckFRAG's map for Interception, and more recently in Map07 of Ancient Aliens.