Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomPhreak

Automap?

I don't see an automap station among the interactive items, and the Tab key doesn't bring up an automap, so I guess it's not possible? For large SP maps, could this pose a problem for the player's navigation?

Having taken a look at DOOM's data files, I can definitely say automaps are not possible in SnapMap. You see, the automaps seen in the singleplayer campaign are actually pre-rendered models that uncover themselves when you go through a certain area.

Remmirath said:

Having taken a look at DOOM's data files, I can definitely say automaps are not possible in SnapMap. You see, the automaps seen in the singleplayer campaign are actually pre-rendered models that uncover themselves when you go through a certain area.

I feel like they could easily implement a way that uses the blueprints of the modules to create an automap that generates as you enter each new room. The models all already exist in the blueprint mode. Maybe I'm wrong and this is impossible, I don't really know - it just seems to me like the assets are already there.

I'm creating a fairly big and maze-like map and hope I can help the player navigate. Maybe I can do so via HUD messages and other things (I'll look into that later).

Miss Bubbles said:

I feel like they could easily implement a way that uses the blueprints of the modules to create an automap that generates as you enter each new room. The models all already exist in the blueprint mode. Maybe I'm wrong and this is impossible, I don't really know - it just seems to me like the assets are already there.

I dont know the complexity of the Automap either but it does seem silly that they made prefabricated rooms for snapmap but weren't coupled with premade Automap model renders that would stitch together to form a working automap that you could look at. Obviously there are going to be custom made snapmaps are going to be more confusing to solve than the levels in the campaign.

I'm working on a homebrew solution to this problem right this second. I'll be back when it's ready to go!

Alright guys, here's the solution I came up with...

Introducing CHUBZDOOMER'S UNOFFICIAL SNAPMAP AUTOMAP!

Actual map (as seen in SnapMap):

Automap (fully explored):

Automap (partially explored):

Example Map ID:
79YLV4GE

Template Map ID (for designing your own levels):
DDQWWWUL

You can toggle the map on/off at any time with the User Input 1 key (G on PC by default, and I think X/Square on XB1/PS4). The map also automatically updates to show which room you're in as well as the rooms you've explored. In addition it shows you every room's entrances and doorways, including colored doorways for keycards! The one downside is that your exact location in each room isn't shown, nor is your current facing direction, but it's still a whole hell of a lot better than not having a map at all!

How did I pull it off? Believe it or not, it's actually incredibly simple. The "automap" is just a series of player blocking volumes laid out to match the map as closely as possible. When the User Input 1 key is pressed, you switch to a camera that's been placed high above the volumes and is looking straight down at them.

The player-tracking and room-updating is quite simple, too, though admittedly tedious as hell to set up. Basically you have to place a "Module" object in every single module/room, then assign the following actions to "On Entered" and "On Exited":

[On Entered]
- Show the player volume
- Show the module volume and all its surrounding doorway/entrance volumes

[On Exited]
- Hide the player volume

I might create a separate thread for this just to get the word out there and help other mappers guide players through their non-linear creations. I'm also considering recording a quick video demonstrating the automap in action. Who knows, perhaps I'll even do a video tutorial on it. Nonetheless, keep your eyes peeled!

chubz, that's very nice work. One concern is the item limit percentage. On your map, all the automap objects use up about 5%. For larger maps, I would imagine it could reach 10% or more, and that could be a problem, since large maps need automap the most. But I downloaded your map for my reference. Hopefully, Bethesda would consider raising the item limit in the future. Even a slight raise to 120-150% would be very useful.

DoomPhreak said:

chubz, that's very nice work. One concern is the item limit percentage. On your map, all the automap objects use up about 5%. For larger maps, I would imagine it could reach 10% or more, and that could be a problem, since large maps need automap the most.

Damn, you're right.. those resource limits suck!

That's really clever chubz. It is simple but serves its purpose very nicely. But like DoomPhreak said, the resource percentage it eats up may not be worth it. I could imagine on a particularly mazey and nonlinear map it would be welcome, but for the most part POI markers and good use of scene building to set up memorable landmarks can work just as well for navigation.

Still, this is a really cool idea and I appreciate you showing this to us.

Pretty damn innovative, Chubz. Also, thanks for making those DB tutorials years ago, I found them extremely helpful.