Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

is this a good plot?

so I'm working on the plot for a WAD I kind of want to make.
It's supposed to be a Doom/Halo crossover WAD. I can make the levels, the only problem would be getting specific sprites that probably don't exist.

But anyways, I made a picture detailing the levels/plot in a very simple way.
Green = UNSC-related levels
Red = Hell-related levels
Purple = Covenant-related levels
Gold = Final level

I might include easter egg levels but I'm not sure what those would be. Maybe recreations of areas from some of the Halo games (probably Combat Evolved) in Doom format or something?

Anyways, here's the link. Tell me if it dosen't work.
(EDIT) Changed it from a Google Drive link to a proper IMGUR link.

The only problem about this whole WAD would be these three:

* I'd have to create or find custom textures for use in enviroments like the Covenant cruiser (I can improvise for the Infinity though)

* I'd have to create or find custom sprites for specific monsters such as the Maledict, Elites, Charon, etc.

* I'd have to actually code the monsters, which I don't know how to do

Godfather38 said:

Seems functional. not hard to implement into the game either.

Awesome! I plan to introduce cutscenes as well but these would be simple pixelated comic pages with fitting music in the background.

Again, the only problem w/ making this WAD would be getting the sprites and coding them, but maybe I can find someone who's willing to do that.

SharkLordSatan said:

Awesome! I plan to introduce cutscenes as well but these would be simple pixelated comic pages with fitting music in the background.

Again, the only problem w/ making this WAD would be getting the sprites and coding them, but maybe I can find someone who's willing to do that.

Well, depending on what you need I would be happy to help. getting the cutscenes might be a pain, but using clusters and background images would probably suffice. I have never coded a custom monster but I have made custom weapons and I am willing to try making an enemy for the first time. so long as I have art assets to work with then most of this stuff should be pretty simple.

Godfather38 said:

Well, depending on what you need I would be happy to help. getting the cutscenes might be a pain, but using clusters and background images would probably suffice. I have never coded a custom monster but I have made custom weapons and I am willing to try making an enemy for the first time. so long as I have art assets to work with then most of this stuff should be pretty simple.

I have a pretty basic idea of what I need in general;

* Weapon replacements (replacing all weapons except for the BFG 9000)
* A handful of new weapons
* Custom sprites and AI for specific monsters/NPCs (mainly for the Covenant soldiers/"vehicles" and others)
* Custom textures for the Covenant level and possibly Infinity if necessary

As for the cutscene pages I can make them myself. I'm already working on one of the sprites for the Maledict, but I can't shade it w/o making it look ugly as sin and verrrry odd when compared to other npcs haha

SharkLordSatan said:

I have a pretty basic idea of what I need in general;

* Weapon replacements (replacing all weapons except for the BFG 9000)
* A handful of new weapons
* Custom sprites and AI for specific monsters/NPCs (mainly for the Covenant soldiers/"vehicles" and others)
* Custom textures for the Covenant level and possibly Infinity if necessary

As for the cutscene pages I can make them myself. I'm already working on one of the sprites for the Maledict, but I can't shade it w/o making it look ugly as sin and verrrry odd when compared to other npcs haha

Well, what weapons do you need, what monsters do you need, and have you found any art assets?

Godfather38 said:

Well, what weapons do you need, what monsters do you need, and have you found any art assets?

Well, here's a basic rundown of what I have in mind:

Pistol --> Magnum
Shotgun --> Shotgun (UNSC)
Super Shotgun --> I'm not really sure what it'll be converted into, probably either a Assault Rifle or SMG.
Plasma Rifle --> Plasma Rifle (Covenant)
Rocket Launcher --> SPNKR Rocket Launcher
Chaingun --> Not sure, it'll probably become something like the detachable turret guns you can rip off their stands from Halo Reach
Chainsaw --> Energy Sword

BFG will stay the same but'll probably get a enhanced texture that improves the quality or something if possible.

I also kind of want a small amount of "new" weapons to be included but obviously I don't want to include every single weapon from the Halo games. So these are what I have in mind:

* Needler
* Sniper Rifle or Beam Rifle
* Plasma Pistol + Jackal Shield
* Plasma Grenade + UNSC Grenade

And as for new NPCs...

Elite (four ranks: Minor, Major, Spec-Ops, Ultra)
Grunt (two ranks: Minor, Major)
Jackal (three ranks: Minor, Major, Sniper)
Hunter
Maledict (I'm already kinda working on the front-facing sprite, at least the general shape of it)
Guardian of the Styx
Charon
Darius

And as for the art assets I was referring to, this sprite sheet is ultimately a perfect example.
http://dantewreckmen-999.deviantart.com/art/Halo-Series-NRE-Public-V3-Full-Sprite-Sheet-553666902

Well, the sprite sheet is public so you don't need permission, however it doesn't have the first person assets so that could be a pain, I will start work on the weapons for now.

Godfather38 said:

Well, the sprite sheet is public so you don't need permission, however it doesn't have the first person assets so that could be a pain, I will start work on the weapons for now.

Okay, thank you!
I didn't really think it was actually usable for game-making use because of the disclaimer in the upper right corner. Also, I have more files of similar nature stored away on my computer so if you ever want to take a look at them feel free to let me know and I'll post 'em on imgur or my deviantART sta.sh (it's basically a online storage thingy)

Well, after 3 hours of google searches and an hour of programming I have made a demo. the sprites are crap, but there is only so much google and cropping can do. not sure how to send it to you but I'm sure I can find a way.

Godfather38 said:

Well, after 3 hours of google searches and an hour of programming I have made a demo. the sprites are crap, but there is only so much google and cropping can do. not sure how to send it to you but I'm sure I can find a way.

Alright! If you want I can re-make the sprites myself if you need me to.

And maybe try some sort of filesharing site like Mediafire or 4shared or even google drive, and just send me the link to the download?

Godfather38 said:

Sent it by email, check your inbox.

They work great so far! Like I said if you want me to re-create the sprites for w/e reason I can do that (but I doubt I'll be able to give it textures to make it sort of "blend in" with how all of the other sprites are shaded and stuff)

Oh how cool it would be if the demons were replaced with the Flood!

And share the sprites here please.

Voros said:

Oh how cool it would be if the demons were replaced with the Flood!

And share the sprites here please.

That sounds like an awesome idea, but unfortunately this WAD is supposed to be a crossover wad, not a complete total conversion.

As for the Halo sprites, so far we only have the actual weapons themselves. I'll try to get a recording of them in action though, if possible. If not I'll provide screenshots.

screenshots of the current weapons. ( no replacement for BFG, plus when you select it, it doesn't work nor does it let you switch to other weapons)

Very nice!

But is it meant to be look so big? Its hogging up the screen.

And in the final version, remove the UAC on the Rifle will you? It makes no sense.

And are you planning for a chainsaw replacement? That should be an energy sword.

Voros said:

Very nice!

But is it meant to be look so big? Its hogging up the screen.

And in the final version, remove the UAC on the Rifle will you? It makes no sense.

And are you planning for a chainsaw replacement? That should be an energy sword.

Yeah, the chainsaw replacement is coming, and the weapons I have I mostly got from google images. we intend to add more polish and refine them once we have the base project ready.

And as for the bfg, not entirely sure what went wrong. I will check it soon.

Godfather38 said:

just started work on the enemies, and by god are we going to need a lot of sprits.

I agree lol.

But yeah, you can work on whatever NPC you feel would be easiest to do. (Lasky wouldn't actually have any real actions, he'd just stand there with his hands behind his back staring ahead or something similar)

every time I see the word "lanks" or "lanksy" i can't help but think of a shitpost verion of lasky.

maybe after i'm finished with the intro.wad i'll make a pic of lanks lmao

If you share the wad here, you'll have a better chance of finding out AND fixing the BFG problem.

I have redone the weapons in Decorate, which I am much more familiar with, and all the issues have been fixed aside from the bad sprites.

Release a public test soon when you think the Alpha is finished, OK!

Keep it up!

Chaingun could be the saw

BFG could be Spartan laser / incineration cannon

SSG could be the scattershot (or a sniper if you're cool with a powerful gun with no spread :P)

[s]some of these weapons might not work if you're going for a halo 1 crossover [/b]