Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's a functional map for sure. You should let people know it was designed for (G)ZDoom. I'd recommend experimenting with different area types (other than simple square rooms) and different transition types (other than doors).

Found the secret with cheating :)

Reminds me of my first maps! Keep at it and am looking forward to playing your new stuff.

The secret is rather easy to find (a bit too easy IMO), and I like the texture usage inside it. Otherwise, this map is pretty bland. Almost every room is the exact same, and you're just shooting into the rooms until the enemies are dead. The path to the end of the level is literally a straight line, too. It's rather easy too, I completed it without losing any health at all. It's pretty okay for a first map, especially with the lack of HOMs and such, but otherwise it's not that great. I'd recommend analyzing the aesthetics and layouts of the vanilla maps and many of the maps you see in the cacowards, and also screw around experiment in doom builder.

Just keep making more maps, man!

It was nice and simple for a first map, bland yes, but It's cool. Simply better then any of my first maps (I believe I lost them In my old laptop).

Secret was pretty easy too.

Heh, I've made test maps before. It's best to always use a theme, either a Base theme, Hell theme, Creepy theme. Whatever fits your taste.

I'm going with an Anxiety Theme with my first legitimate map.

Its pretty good for a first map, changing the textures around and allowing you to go down different corridor paths would make it even better. Some new midi music would do it real good as well, but thats more of my own personal preference.

I don't want to sound like a douche but your map is shit. It's like a joke wad without the joke.

There is no flow and rooms are really poorly utilized. There is virtually no gameplay beyond "open door, shoot baddies and hide behind door"

If you are gonna post maps like this then plz a screenshot of the map so I know to not waste my time.

I suggest you watch/read about how horseshoes and loops work in level design.

illuknisaa said:

I don't want to sound like a douche but your map is shit. It's like a joke wad without the joke.

There is no flow and rooms are really poorly utilized. There is virtually no gameplay beyond "open door, shoot baddies and hide behind door"

If you are gonna post maps like this then plz a screenshot of the map so I know to not waste my time.

I suggest you watch/read about how horseshoes and loops work in level design.

Wow! What a great way to encourage new and upcoming mappers! We should dump on everyone's first maps because they aren't brilliant masterpieces!

Wow, you are a begginer and made this, 10/10.
(Sorry for my bad english, i am not american)
-Heitor

From what i've seen on suitepee's stream so far, this just isn't good at all.
You should really practice making non gimmicky maps with a decent layout instead of just square rooms in a single file line. Oh, and you should try making your maps in limit removing /boom map formats. Flats on walls just look bad.

Just make sure that with each map you release, you learn a new Technique (how to build shapes/geometry), Mechanic (moving level parts, the actions) Gameplay Changer (stairs, gaps, damaging floors) and if possible Feature, such as adding custom music or textures.

I also recommend learning how to build and publish for the PrBoom+ source port, this will teach you a good mapping foundation.

If you want to start mapping i just can say keep learning the Programm and try to figure out new stuff like Lifts or Teleports :)

illuknisaa said:

I don't want to sound like a douche

You kinda Failed at that.

Do something more interesting than 4 rooms in a row... just keep maps like that to yourself eh

burgerobot said:

It was my first map, and I told you guys that it's really short and pretty simple.

It was your decision to download it :/

Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? I'm going to start ignoring these 'first map' threads... I posted my first map awhile ago, but it was something I'd been working on for 6 months+ and I required feedback for a next map I'd started.

It seems you made this just to test out working doors etc. Yes, I made the mistake of downloading and playing it; it wasn't terrible, just flaccid. With that said, keep at it man.

@burgerobot man, don't stop mapping. Concentrate on your work and you will do better. For your first map, it's really a great job and you try playing more and more wad, honestly saying :) keep up good work, I look forward to see more maps from you :D

burgerobot said:

Yeah... that's gonna take a LONG time. For now, I'll just keep doing short simple gzdoom maps :D

Not sure about custom textures, but adding the music isn't that hard. You just need a program like XWE.

Mauzki said:

Not sure about custom textures, but adding the music isn't that hard. You just need a program like XWE.

XWE is really a jerk, please don't use it :( Use Slade 3, it's great and easy.