Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Need to migrate to new PC mid-game

I've been fortunate to be able to play Doom on an i3 system with only 1Gb of VRAM, but shortly after I arrived in Hell the game no longer starts.

I might have to buy a more up-spec PC, but will Steam retain my savegame when I reinstall it on the new PC?

Foebane72 said:

I've been fortunate to be able to play Doom on an i3 system with only 1Gb of VRAM, but shortly after I arrived in Hell the game no longer starts.

I might have to buy a more up-spec PC, but will Steam retain my savegame when I reinstall it on the new PC?

I am playing it on two different PCs, and it works without any problems. Progression, achievements and stuff unlocked/found synchronize via the Steam Cloud.

Foebane72 said:

You should be fine, the progress is saved in the Steam cloud.

Anyway you might not need to buy a new PC, just a new graphics card. Are you running a desktop or laptop?

Plasma Gun said:

Anyway you might not need to buy a new PC, just a new graphics card. Are you running a desktop or laptop?

Desktop, and it meets the minimum requirements, except for the i3. And I don't want to go upgrading that. If the i3 doesn't matter, then I'll happily settle for a GFX card.

Foebane72 said:

Nope it's fine. Although I have to recommend paying a little extra for something like this if you can stretch your budget:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-GeForce-960%C2%A0Amp-4096%C2%A0MB-DDR5%C2%A0128B/dp/B00UJ74QLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464640815&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+960+zotac

It's faster and has 2x the memory, which means it'll play the game much better and it'll last you for longer.

But if you can't go for more than the one you linked, then you should be all good to go to play thru Doom.

EDIT: Although the 4150 is a dual core, it's a very fast dual core. It will not limit any of the GPUs we're talking about here for Doom.