Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

What kind of missalignments can you get away with? (stock textures)

DoomLover234 said:

Misaligned zimmer, ground, ash and "mini"-brick (BRICK1, 2) textures work pretty well, based on my experiences.

Yeah I totally agree, I have been replaying Doom1 and I'm surprised at all the misaligned textures

There's few organic textures with slight shading that create visible banding over large areas. I've deliberately misaligned ashwall at times to break it up, or make the banding look more natural by staggering it.

Actually as for purposely misaligning textures...doing it on steps should be encouraged imo- breaks up the monotony...especially when the texture bares an obvious pattern.

FuzzballFox said:

Actually as for purposely misaligning textures...doing it on steps should be encouraged imo- breaks up the monotony...especially when the texture bares an obvious pattern.

That's not really misalignment though. For example, compare the below two screenshots. Screenshot one shows the 'aligned' texture, but with the mentioned unacceptable repetition; the second shows the solution. In both instances the texture isn't misaligned.

"Misaligned" doesn't mean "not aligned at 0,0", it means "aligned badly". Like the word "misplaced" doesn't mean "not placed at the default location", or the word "mistreated" doesn't mean "not treated in the default way".

FuzzballFox said:

Well it's not aligned at 0,0 is it?

0, 0 can be 'aligned well' in many scenarios, such as: