Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hambourgeois

lava falls

because i love re-inventing wheels that other people have done long ago, i made some lava falls by recoloring the bloodfall texture

#1- to orange color ramp only:

#2- as #1, but highlights are from the color ramp that goes from brown to a desaturated yellow:

#3- as #2 but with red shadows. its kinda gross and aliased looking but has more depth:

#4- based on the colors used by the lava flats:

anyway if you happen to not already have a preferred lavafall texture feel free to grab these i guess

Thanks, actually I've been struggling to find a satisfying lavafall for a while. I'll definitely try these.

Just for the sake of completion, here are some more that I've seen.

Not sure who made, can be found in Survive in Hell, for example:

Kinda unorthodox, made by Antroid for Doom 2 In Name Only, based on the DBRAIN textures (or maybe the LAVA flats?):

And this one was made by Kurt Kesler for kboom_6.wad. Interesting color:

May as well join the party. I made these at one point:

Not sure where these are from, a little different than the usual lavafalls I think.

Psyren also made some from the LAVA flats stretched to 64x128 for Crimson Canyon, they're not so great IMO.

I feel the falls should match the flats...or else it just looks wrong.
For example people using the blood falls for lava...it doesn't match! D;

The lava falls in Alien Vendetta are conceptually great, they just kind of fail to look like the lava is flowing downwards.

Guest Unregistered account
scifista42 said:

The lava falls in Alien Vendetta are conceptually great, they just kind of fail to look like the lava is flowing downwards.

I agree. When I first saw them, I thought they were just stretched lava textures, but examining them in Slade shows that they're quite well made. Could potentially be improved by offsetting each frame?

re-did #4 in my first post to have more depth:

also did one with the desaturated red -> orange:

and recolored the lava flat to match

Here is my current favorite lava flat, I believe it comes from Destination Unknown:

Btw it is quite important to remember that in software mode most of these textures will look VERY different depending on how bright the area is. So when comparing them, you need to make a few test rooms of various light levels.

Hambourgeois: you might want to remove the stray black pixel on the left of the second frame.

What I've found on Helsbels.wad. Using it on Infersol.wad. I think if memory serves, it may've been used first on Alien Vendetta, but I found the texture on Helsbels first since I've played that wad first.

These are the ones from Alien Vendetta.

The ones Omegalore posted look like a recolor of them.

It may be because of a custom palette I've used in The NIGHTMARE! Palace while I ripped the texture out of that wad. Yep, I'm also using that texture in there too.