Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomPhreak

Player's death and respawn make spawn encounters unpredictable?

Question: when a player dies and respawns, how does it affect all the spawn encounters (including wave encounters) in progress? I find it to be unpredictable. Sometimes a wave event may advance to the next stage (e.g. wave 1 becomes wave 2, etc.). Sometimes the event ends altogether. If the spawn occurs in a locked-out room, the respawned player will find the previously locked-out room unlocked and the spawn has ended completely (all demons gone). My player's spawn point is always at the start of the map. Obviously, if a room is previously locked-out, you cannot keep it locked-out after the player's death because the player would have no way to go back in. So I understand the need to end the lock-out and spawn encounter abruptly. But I do wish to have some way to present it logically to the player. On my map, almost all spawn encounters have NO LOCK-OUT. This is to ensure the player has access to all the rooms when he or she respawns. But that still doesn't solve the problem spawn encounters behaving unpredictably. So are they supposed to behavior unpredictably, or are there some settings and such to control them?

When you die it can break the encounter completely. I have had it happen before. If a critical monster that advances the map doesn't spawn then you are fucked.

xTWx PREDATOR X said:

Another good reason to do old skool 'one life' maps. Keeps it simple. Obviously this is gonna be a problem on larger maps though.

If you do a map where the encounters are linked to say a player entering a module, dying won't break it. You enter the room, they spawn. If you die in that room, they'll have spawned, and when you get back they'll still be there. So not all maps need a one life thing.

Just personally, I don't like the one life thing for SP campaign style maps, I only like that for survival maps. I guess making custom encounters for all the encounters should make it so it can still work even if you die. If wave events are tricky with it.

PsychoGoatee said:

If you do a map where the encounters are linked to say a player entering a module, dying won't break it. You enter the room, they spawn. If you die in that room, they'll have spawned, and when you get back they'll still be there. So not all maps need a one life thing.

Just personally, I don't like the one life thing for SP campaign style maps, I only like that for survival maps. I guess making custom encounters for all the encounters should make it so it can still work even if you die. If wave events are tricky with it.

I don't like it either and it's because of the load time.

Another annoyance is that only wave events allow the player to respawn in the locked-down location. All other spawners don't have that option (meaning the player respawns at the starting point). Wave events are annoying too because even when I set the difficulty to 9, I still get lowly imps.