Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SladeTheAssassin

What do you think Quake will have for a new gameplay mechanic?

Since Wolfenstein the new order came out in 2014 and old blood came out in 2015.

i enjoyed wolfenstein the new order many times, i only played a few times during after launch and played it again recently. still do.

Old blood was pretty good as well.

DOOM i have not since i am busy with the original assassin's creed(2007) at the moment.

So the gameplay mechanics: Wolfensten: duel wielding.

DOOM: glory kills.

Quake:i imagine there will be something new or something returned like the duel wielding mechanics which were not used since halo 2.

I hope Quake is single player focused because of Quake 4 & 2.

I never played the quakes when i was younger, mostly Wolf 3d and The doom games.

my prefer favorite is DOOM 3 due to the story and gameplay which was awesome and a great approach.

The horror elements was great, i hope they bring that back in the expansion for DOOM since it did well, i mean why not. The games should not be just action and speed, that's not really how games supposed to made.

I know a lot of you hate DOOM 3 for not being action focused, but, the franchise can't stay same for every installment. they need different genres for the DOOM games.

I hope ID software is listening and is getting machine games to do the Quake story part and if there is multiplayer ID software should be the ones doing that since they don't have story tellers.

Another thing when i played wolfenstein the new order and i enjoyed the stealth mechanics, no game had that during 2000 to 2004 times except for medal of honor frontline and DOOM 3 and along with wolfenstein return to castle.

I might as well call myself a fanboy for DOOM 3, lol.

This is a question.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it will be like the new doom - maybe they do something like quake 3 arena, to finally bring back real oldschool arena shooter

Quake 5 will probably be just a csgo situation. A 15 dollar (or free if bethseda wants to compete with epic) game with microtransaction with skins

I'm hoping they step up their story-making and create a plot that connects the Lovecraftian monsters with my n1 Cybernetic Abominations.

Or just make an epic Thunderbolt.

YukiHerz said:

I'm hoping they step up their story-making and create a plot that connects the Lovecraftian monsters with my n1 Cybernetic Abominations.

Or just make an epic Thunderbolt.

I agree about returning to the Lovecraftian style of the first game.

Maybe they can have it be a blend of the final Quake and the Quake they were originally going for, like the Ranger gets sent into a rift and gets some medieval magic weapons in addition to the regular arsenal.

They could definitely go more 'horror' with Quake. The enemies are fewer too. Better AI, maybe some 'trap' system like Bioshock. Or something more like Demon's Souls, with a sort of hub system with worlds coming off it. The original had a small hub area.

Give me back that dark, gothic and creepy atmosphere with Lovecraftian monsters i love about good ol' Quake and i'm sold.
And maybe use something about DOOM.

One plus is they can just bring over the weapon upgrade system from DOOM since they originally envisioned Quake to be an rpg anyway. XD

I dont remember where but Im sure id has the intention to bring back Q1 like assets for the odd iterations.

There's only two possible directions I can see id/Bethesda take the next Quake:

1) Make it a multiplayer-only arena shooter that follows what Quake 3 did, but with top-notch tech and some new features. The goal here would be to solidify Quake as the ultimate competitive arena shooter, and to therefore make "QuakeCon" more relevant as well. The downside here is that this would be for a niche market. Not only are arena shooters not very popular anymore, but this would have to be a PC-centric game.

2) Make a Lovecraftian campaign experience that follows the direction of Quake 1. The goal here would be to create the Bloodborne of shooters. You can even make it sort of an open-world experience like Bloodborne, which would also help distinguish modern Quake from modern Doom and modern Wolfenstein. This has more mainstream/console appeal, but the downside here is that multiplayer would still need to be created. People expect great multiplayer from Quake regardless of what you focus on. So id Software will either need to contract another 3rd-party developer or they'll have to divert some of their own resources towards both the Campaign and Multiplayer. Hopefully the success of DOOM allows id Software to hire enough personel going forward.

ChickenOrBeef said:

1) Make it a multiplayer-only arena shooter that follows what Quake 3 did, but with top-notch tech and some new features. The goal here would be to solidify Quake as the ultimate competitive arena shooter, and to therefore make "QuakeCon" more relevant as well. The downside here is that this would be for a niche market. Not only are arena shooters not very popular anymore, but this would have to be a PC-centric game.

This made me jizz all over the place

QuakeWorld on idTech 6 must be enough. Railgun makes Quake feels like another fucking CPMA clone, just don't wanna another Warsow/Reflex with 2,5 fans.

I agree. I don't like railguntype weapons at all in multiplayer games.

Personally i think what made Quake unique are Strafe and Rocket Jumping, Eventhough they were engine exploits it has been decided to keep them .

How about a multiplayer based game like Q3, but with the theme of Q1?

Absolutely best idea. IMHO.

I hope they go back to quake1 and remake it and like doom, have enough lore and background for another 2 or 3 games.

I feel like quake 2 story was 'finished' but q1's never was. We never met quake himself :)

I mean, id software are at least planning one sequel and one prequel for doom. They must be, right? *Please id stop torturing us*

Personally I'd love to see something like a continuation of Quake II with a deep storyline, I don't mind the Stroggs at all. Focus on PC SP and don't include shit like glory kills and carlton dances.

Continue the castles, crypts, and zombie filled grotto's of Quake 1. And don't have a nailgun and a super-nailgun.

I would love to see a new Fiend and Shambler, two of my favorite enemies from any videogame. The fiend, I heard a grunt and then it ripped my face off. He's subtle like a T-Rex, just a grunt, and that's it. The Shambler, well he roars, then unleashes lighting on your ass, which follows you, not a projectile. And he was always kind of freaky.

And I love the castles of the original Quake, and eventually the completely abstract design, they're so much more interesting than going through science facilities, or offices, or military bases. I personally don't see castles on a regular basis, and as such they are far more fascinating than going through an office. And there's quite a bit more lee-way with exciting, multi-tiered level design. It doesn't have to make as much sense. With an office you can't say "Well, we'll put in a draw-bridge here, and they have to jump down into a moat, and walk halfway around the level to hit a switch". That's fun gameplay, that's exploration.

"Well, we'll put in a locked key-card door here, and the key-card is on a guy that you just killed, so pick that up and there you go."

Seems far more boring. I loved the theme of Quake 1, played through it 20 times at least, and spent a good portion of the late 90's and early 2000's finding new levels for it. I didn't much care for Quake 2. Wasn't terrible, but I've played through it twice maybe, and found a couple of levels that weren't bad, but just the same shit. There's only so much you can do with an orange sky, metal textures, and cyborgs, while keeping with the theme of an alien military base.

Edit: In the end, I felt that Quake 2, like Doom 3, was too clinical. In Quake 2 they set out to make the Strogg as a military force, and as such every section of the game was exactly the same. The enemies would change, but for most part it was going through one section after another or the same military base. Doom 3 was the same, you would go through one sector of lab or base, and it would look almost exactly the same as the last. Which led to the same fight, taking place in virtually the same location as the last.

I just loved the surreal abstraction of Quake 1. The majority of the levels never made sense, but from a gameplay standpoint they were a pleasure to play it. You could jump off of walkways onto other ones, jump into water, take backways around the level to kill enemies easily instead of facing them head on. The level design really worked, it felt like you were free to roam, instead of being forced into one path.

Jello said:

And don't have a nailgun and a super-nailgun.

Why not? These were my favorite weapons, even if they weren't actually that great due to how easy it was to run out of ammo and how hard it was to stock back up.

I'd ask the same thing, why remove the nailguns if they went for Quake 1?

They're iconic Quake weapons and I'd argue a big part of the game. A nail is a central part of the logo and with Trent Reznor / Nine Inch Nails having made the sound effects and soundtrack, it'd be blasphemous not to have nails in any upcoming game.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

I hope quake (2018) takes place after quake (1996) where the ranger comes home to his family only to find out that the mankind (now called wimminzkind) has regressed to a point where it is unable to count. The ranger now has to try to end it (tap e to end it) before he also becomes a mutated degenerate.

If they make a new SP Quake game and they HAD to add a unique game mechanic...

I would say they would make the character half / ex Strogg, similar to Quake 4 which would justify the protagonist ability to eliminate so many enemies on his own but also provide an opportunity to add unique game elements. The "What's yours is mine" mechanic would be suitable as the player can assimilate particular powers and weapons from vanquished enemies but also have passive upgrades similar to Doom 2016.

Voros said:

I'd be down for that.

illuknisaa said:

I hope quake (2018) takes place after quake (1996) where the ranger comes home to his family only to find out that the mankind (now called wimminzkind) has regressed to a point where it is unable to count. The ranger now has to try to end it (tap e to end it) before he also becomes a mutated degenerate.

What the hell?