Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poormetheus

Brutal Doom PISTOL?

Hi all. I come with a question about the Brutal Doom pistol.

My desire is to 'mod out' the rifle in lieu of the Brutal Doom pistol, which I have come across from skulking around the Brutal Doom .pk3 on SLADE. I can see that it exists; the sprites are there and there is a .txt file. However, the rifle takes its place, and the only pistol I can use is the classic one, when I select 'classic mode'.

Does anyone have any advice? I guess I would need to mod the ammo too, so that bullet pickups that previously worked with the rifle would work with the BDpistol.

I made a pk3 for that a while ago, but I never released it. if you want I can upload it somewhere but I don't see much point.

Make sure that the pistol's .txt is "#include"-d in the pk3's main DECORATE file. Make sure that the player actor definition contains a line that assigns the pistol to one of his weapon slots and has it as a StartItem too.

Godfather38 said:

I made a pk3 for that a while ago, but I never released it. if you want I can upload it somewhere but I don't see much point.

Maybe you could send it my way - this is proving difficult for me. I'd be very appreciative.

I went to MODDB and downloaded a UAC pistol, but I'm not fully satisfied with it, as it has a 3 round burst.

I'd prefer something that does a tiny bit more damage, and be semi-automatic. I'm tinkering with it in SLADE.

I've tried your .pk3 but my player is not starting with your pistol . . . it seems to not be working.

As for the UAC pistol, I think it's hitscan. It's an effective weapon in the game, but I'm not a fan of burst. I'm going to try and change it to hitscan, increase the damage, and change the sound.

Well, after trying it myself I have just run into the same issue as yours, it worked once, but not twice. it still seems to function if I type "GIVE BRUTALPISTOL" but not otherwise. I might have changed something that broke it, not sure though.

I am going to keep working on that, because it appears that BD overrides "replace" in decorate files or something, odd. either way, sorry it didn't work, you might want to try editing the decorate file and having my pistol inherit from the normal pistol.

Okay so can ANYONE help me out on how to make this UAC pistol SEMI-AUTOMATIC??

Right now it has burst fire in groups of 3. Here is some script from its .txt relating to its FIRE action.

Fire:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("BrutalPistolAmmoAlt",1,3)
Goto Reload
TNT1 AAAA 0
TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("pistol/fire")
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("YellowFlareSpawn",0,0,0,0)
PISF A 1 BRIGHT A_FireBullets (2, 2, 0, 10, "HitPuff")
RIFF A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("Tracer", random(-2,2), 0, -1, 0)
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("ShakeYourAssMinor", 0, 0, 0, 0)
TNT1 A 0 A_Takeinventory("BrutalPistolAmmoAlt",1)
PISF B 1
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("RifleCaseSpawn",5,0,8,-9) TNT1 AAAA 0
PISF A 1 BRIGHT A_FireBullets (2, 2, -1, 10, "HitPuff")
PISF B 1
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("RifleCaseSpawn",5,0,8,-9) TNT1 AAAA 0
PISF A 1 BRIGHT A_FireBullets (2, 2, -1, 10, "HitPuff")
PISF B 1
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("RifleCaseSpawn",5,0,8,-9)
PISF B 5
PISF C 1 A_WeaponReady(1)
PISG A 1 A_WeaponReady(1)
Goto Ready+6

Poormetheus said:

Okay so can ANYONE help me out on how to make this UAC pistol SEMI-AUTOMATIC??

And what exactly does SEMI-AUTOMATIC mean? How exactly do you want it to behave?

scifista42 said:

And what exactly does SEMI-AUTOMATIC mean? How exactly do you want it to behave?

Thanks for your reply. I want it to tap fire; as fast as one can click a mouse.

(As an aside, it replaces the pistol, which doesn't have abundant ammo in MODERN Brutal Doom mode, so I'd like it to take RifleAmmo).

If you want to enforce tapping of the fire button, give the weapon a WEAPON.NOAUTOFIRE flag. If you want to change its ammo type... Well, change its AmmoType property.

Good advice, Scifista.

I've changed its ammo type but the strange thing is, it has infinite ammo now!

The clip size is 15 bullets, so every time I reload, it goes straight back to 15 from 0, even if I am not carrying any RifleAmmo.

Can you think of a reason for this?

Apparently from your code, the weapon actually takes ammo via A_Takeinventory. So, you should probably modify the ammo type named in that function. Since you're posting just a small part of the weapon's actor definition, I can't tell if that would be a sufficient solution, or if setting AmmoType would be beneficient or counterproductive in combination with A_Takeinventory.

Poormetheus said:

... which I have come across from skulking around the Brutal Doom .pk3 on SLADE.

Might be just the "Classic Mode" Pistol .

Okay, I'll keep messing with it and see what I come up with.

DMGUY, yes I reckon it's the classic pistol (but BDoom has a set of different sprites for the pistol and there appears to be a designation 'BrutalPistol'.