Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Observing the extreme limits of human vision under ordinary circumstances

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Have you ever closed your eyes and rubbed your eyelids? You can't see anything for a few seconds once you open them. What's up with that?

I've been operating under the assumption it's due to the fact you're stopping blood going into your eyes with the pressure of your fingers. If you half-close your eye and press on the sides you can see it going black while your eye is open. The same thing happens when all the blood rushes out your head when you stand up.

This happened to me very few times: when i sneeze and then i open my eyes again, i can see some kind of multi-colored sparks/cinders appearing and dissapearing from my vision, its not like the stuff you guys mentioned, i can see it very clear no matter if its dark or bright. Its actually a bit scary.

Best thread in ages... maybe I should smoke more blunts like GoatLord. Interesting when you get migraines, how your vision slowly begins to turn into distortion; it grows until you're eventually mostly blind.

When I was a kid once I was crawling under an electric fence to retrieve a ball I kicked over... the top of my head touched the wire and I was receiving serious shocks, I didn't even realize it - all I saw were waves of blue and green pouring through my vision.

GoatLord said:

I've seen this grain my entire life. That's just how vision works. It has a finite resolution and with careful observation the noise is visible, just as film grain is visible. Your brain covers it up unless you pay attention. This is basic stuff, it has nothing to do with hallucinogens, which tend to produce geometric and multi-dimensional imagery, not a bunch of visual noise. If you want to make jokes about psychedelics, do some research first :)

You're really hitting that blunt. The grain you see is probably a side affect of being bluntly hit hard enough but let's go over this together.

You say grain? What do you mean? Eye floaters? Now when you say noise I have no idea if I am able to see noise, nor am I aware of the noise possibly because I am not in any hallucinated state.

I did read some independent research into seeing noises and other interesting anomalies.

Yeah when I rub my eyes I see multicolored geometric patterns very similar to hallucinogenic effects. After that a very complex asymmetrical pattern/symbol appears usually in contrasting colors that is never the same twice. Then the symbol fades out from within back to normal vision. Does it every time.

SavageCorona said:

I've been operating under the assumption it's due to the fact you're stopping blood going into your eyes with the pressure of your fingers. If you half-close your eye and press on the sides you can see it going black while your eye is open. The same thing happens when all the blood rushes out your head when you stand up.

That makes sense, I guess. Also, I should NOT have tried that thing you described. I doubt it could cause any serious damage, but my eyes felt weird for a minute or two...

When I was maybe around 14 I sometimes saw flashing lights in the dark when I went to bed after a night of too much sitting in front of a monitor. A few times these flashes sometimes looked like the word "Lol". Still wonder wtf was up with that back then.

Mobius said:

You say grain? What do you mean? Eye floaters? Now when you say noise I have no idea if I am able to see noise, nor am I aware of the noise possibly because I am not in any hallucinated state.

No, he probably means this and this.

I'm definitely talking about visual snow. Most people I've mentioned it to haven't experienced it. It basically looks like the electronic noise in digital video, just higher resolution. It's especially apparent in low lighting, although I'm keen enough to see it in broad daylight. Sometimes, when getting up in the morning, it can be especially dense for a few seconds. I first observed this phenomenon when I was a child, and likened it to video noise.

The very idea that it's caused by "drugs" is patently absurd, again because psychedelic imagery doesn't leave a layer of noise over your vision. However, low level DMT can produce a matrix of pixels resembling wireframe vector graphics.