Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massivefanofdoom

Weapon masteries are underwhelming!

Topic.

Fx, the explosive shot's cluster bombs hardly feel powerful at all. The first time I used it, I set off a barrel chain and I thought it was it, so I was like hELL YEAH!!!! LOL .... but sadly it wasn't and it was so underwhelming :(

The charged burst one ... I can hardly see any improved damage.

The lock on burst for rpg mastery could actually detract from the gameplay as you might want to focus on just on one enemy.

The gauss ....I cannot make out any explosions after they die with the precision shot and the siege mode mastery should have been an upgrade.

Game still rocks, but I feel like they should've put more thought into weapon masteries.

lol wat... I don't even know how to reply to this, if they were any stronger the game would be zero challange. I'm having a hard time understanding how you don't see the damage difference. The clustershot is retarted strong. I don't use burst on rockets, both of the gause cannons upgrades are insaine compaired to it's original state. Anything upgraded gets a significant damage boost or extra utility.

MrGlide said:

lol wat... I don't even know how to reply to this, if they were any stronger the game would be zero challange. I'm having a hard time understanding how you don't see the damage difference. The clustershot is retarted strong. I don't use burst on rockets, both of the gause cannons upgrades are insaine compaired to it's original state. Anything upgraded gets a significant damage boost or extra utility.

masteries not upgrades

the last upgrades correct? Combat shotguns cluster strike with a direct hit demolishes all small enemis ina group, and staggers almost all enemies, I don't mess with the burst shot because clustershot is way better.

Supershotty, Double trouble, you get to fire two rounds in a row, Staggers any enemy.

HR- Endless homing rockets, nuff said, or heavy rounds, poping headshots with this makes life super easy.

chaingun- triple barrel no more stalling, it takes away the one thing that was balancing this. for the rotator I guess extra damage is kinda underwelming...

plasma rifles stun bomb is to usefull for me to pick heat blast, so for it's mastery when you kill a stunned enemie, it stuns other enemies near by, if gauss didn't have siege mode I'd use this non-stop

Gause- siege mode, mini bfg anyone? and for the mastery, you can move. This is imparitive on the higher difficulty levels. then the other mastery in wich killing enemies with headshots turns them into a bomb exploding and dealing damage to everything around them.

rocket launcher- Remote detonation, now instead of the rocket blowing up mid flight, you get to kill that group of imps or pre det it before it hits a threat, and you get two rocket hits on it, you just shit all over the place, nothing will live. screw triple rockets pre det'ing gets behind sheilds, pinkies, can get groups mid air when you've no nice surface to hit.

and the pistol gets high enough damage to one shot most monsters with a crit. so.....
ya, all of the masteries and insaine- utility, dps, or continued dps. I'm trying to understand what the problem is.(edit) I'm on my sixth playthrough and it makes a huge difference for everyone of these when I get them.

I got weapon mastery on the super shotgun, and it practically became the only weapon I'd ever use.
...kind of like Doom 2, come to think of it.

MrGlide said:

the last upgrades correct? Combat shotguns cluster strike with a direct hit demolishes all small enemis ina group, and staggers almost all enemies, I don't mess with the burst shot because clustershot is way better.

Supershotty, Double trouble, you get to fire two rounds in a row, Staggers any enemy.

HR- Endless homing rockets, nuff said, or heavy rounds, poping headshots with this makes life super easy.

chaingun- triple barrel no more stalling, it takes away the one thing that was balancing this. for the rotator I guess extra damage is kinda underwelming...

plasma rifles stun bomb is to usefull for me to pick heat blast, so for it's mastery when you kill a stunned enemie, it stuns other enemies near by, if gauss didn't have siege mode I'd use this non-stop

Gause- siege mode, mini bfg anyone? and for the mastery, you can move. This is imparitive on the higher difficulty levels. then the other mastery in wich killing enemies with headshots turns them into a bomb exploding and dealing damage to everything around them.

rocket launcher- Remote detonation, now instead of the rocket blowing up mid flight, you get to kill that group of imps or pre det it before it hits a threat, and you get two rocket hits on it, you just shit all over the place, nothing will live. screw triple rockets pre det'ing gets behind sheilds, pinkies, can get groups mid air when you've no nice surface to hit.

and the pistol gets high enough damage to one shot most monsters with a crit. so.....
ya, all of the masteries and insaine- utility, dps, or continued dps. I'm trying to understand what the problem is.(edit) I'm on my sixth playthrough and it makes a huge difference for everyone of these when I get them.

Oh the super shotty chaingun and HAR rockets are great!

I dunno what I am doing wrong, the masteries for everything else is just really underwhelming to me and the precision gauss explosion thing ... I cant even notice it O_O

Not really a big deal, weapons are great as they are anyways. Just saying.

Here's most of my thoughts on weapons/upgrades/masteries as I played through this on UV:

Pistol - Pretty underwhelming. I mostly popped zombie heads with this (If I wasn't Glory Killing them for extra armor drops, that was). I didn't bother with the Mastery for this until very late in the game.

Shotgun - Taking the mod to essentially turn this weapon into a grenade launcher proved very useful, even in the later half of the game. Cluster Strike wrecks groups of light enemies. There's no reason to take the burst mod.

Heavy MG: I never found this weapon to be particularly useful really, even after fully upgrading both Micro Missiles and the Scope function. Probably because once you grab the Chaingun, this weapon becomes pretty much obsolete. Micro Missiles can definitely help for newer players. Or go full 360 NoScope mode with this thing.

Plasma Rifle: The actual plasma shots never do that much damage, but Stun Bomb is really useful for newer players - I got a fair bit of use out of this in the first half of the game. Heat Blast can have you almost running around like a suicide bomber and damaging/killing anything around you - Bonus points for the actual heat blast not costing any ammo.

Rocket Launcher: Looking back on it, I probably should have tried Remote Detonation first, but Lock-On can be great for newer players as well. Personally though, the rockets did not feel as powerful as they were in previous Doom games, so for the most part, this weapon and it's upgrades/masteries was mostly an afterthought, as it usually took too many rockets to bring down the bigger Hellspawn.

Super Shotgun: I really didn't use this gun that much, except on the Hell Guard boss where it really helped with Phase 1. Other than that there just wasn't enough ammo around, and it was always competing with the Shotgun's pseudo-Grenade Launcher for ammo And in most cases, the Grenade Launcher won out... at least until you unlock Mastery for this gun - then the SSG really begins to shine!

Chaingun: I feel like this is much more of a heavy machine gun than it's actual namesake. Regardless, throwing mass quantities of bullets at anything will solve most of Life's problems. Mobile Turret, anyone? The only downside to this gun is that it burns through the limited ammo stock way too fast (Unless Rich get Richer is active)

Gauss Cannon: SIEGE MODE. Can kill any (non-boss) enemy in the game in 1-3 hits. If you get the Rich get Richer rune and this going, Hell is gonna have a bad time, because you'll be murdering lots of stuff before they ever get close to you. Who needs Sniper Rifle mode when Siege Mode completely outclasses it? I used Siege Mode as much as I could once it was unlocked, it's just that strong. And it made my life in the later maps significantly easier.

Interesting how so many players view the Heavy Assault Rifle as fairly useless. For me it was quite the opposite, and I'm not speaking of micro missiles which I rarely used.

If you achieve the Mastery for the Scope mod which gives you experimental heavy damage rounds (during scoped), you can pop weaker enemies heads per shot. But even before you unlock the Mastery, the Assault Rifle by far is the best weapon to eliminate lighter enemies at a distance. Just aim for the head, if you're a PC user. The gun has great precision and sufficient damage except later in game. It's not so great against Mancubus, Kell Knights etc.

SSG Mastery definitely had me back in Doom 2 mode. It became my primary weapon. 2 instant blasts on a Revenant's back + a quick melee and you got yourself an easy glory kill. Honestly I only favor other guns more when there is a Mancubus close by.

The Combat Shotgun's grenade launcher is effective even without upgrades. But the cluster bomb simply enhances it further and enables it a useful weapon even against late game monsters.

It's the upgraded late game Runes and the Weapon Mastery that renders Doom an easy game. Don't underestimate them.

I honestly don't like the SSG mastery, it feels weird firing it two times like any normal realistic double-barrel.

It just doesn't feel right.

Tritnew said:

I honestly don't like the SSG mastery, it feels weird firing it two times like any normal realistic double-barrel.

It just doesn't feel right.

Neither do all the other mods for the other weapons.

Come on now, the grenade launcher for the Shotgun, the tactical scope for the Heavy Assault Rifle... All the mods have a purpose, but the Double Trouble mastery doesn't really give me a oomf like firing two blasts at once.