Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

invulnerable sector

Is it possible to hack a sector after building nodes to make it invulnerable in vanilla so that the player can't get hurt at all?

maybe you can use the glitchy sort of thing that happened in oku's su14?

there was a pretty wonky segment where he kept getting smacked in the face with rockets but took no damage, maybe something to do with the -20% + end-level sector type that he was hovering over?

Wasn't there a thread you made where you discovered this yourself? Something whacky with the level end on >11% health sector type + self referencing sectors or whatever?

As long as your feet aren't touching the floor you don't die.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that thread, thanks guys. :)

I was hoping for a truly invulnerable sector, though, for voodoo doll scripting in vanilla (so you don't lose any health when the barrel pushes the voodoo doll and so you don't have to use an invulnerability/health pickups). I've played a few 90's wads that had invulnerable sectors which I assumed was a node builder error, but maybe it was an error with an old version of prboom-plus. I've seen other maps with disabled splash damage in some sectors, but I think that also prevents the player from being pushed by the explosion.

If you use Boom format, or Hexen, or UDMF, you can have the sector itself push the voodoo doll, making the barrel push not needed.

Hmm, I remember a demo by dannebubinga where he gets a cyberdemon rocket in his face but doesn't get any damage (or only gets very little? memory is hazy). It might be worth examining.

I just came across this: MAP27 in Doom32 is broken somehow so that you are invulnerable and untargetable in a lot of it, at least in Chocolate Doom. Seems to be the same in PrBoom+ too, but not ZDoom of course. Shooting a barrel at point-blank range in the second room does nothing to you. The original map, Hell's Gate doesn't have this problem so it must have been introduced in copying the map over, but I'm not sure how and haven't compared the files at all.

That's just a REJECT error that prevents you from receiving damage from explosion or hitscan based attacks originating from certain sectors if you are standing in certain sectors. But you will always receive damage from projectile impacts or damaging floors or crushers etc.